Couldn't Find Any Trays.......

sail7seas

Well this is too funny.... We went on a Princess cruise a couple of years ago after numerous cruises on Celebrity and my partner and I MISSED OUR TRAYS. I understand now Celebrity is following suit taking away the trays in the buffet (on Solstice) -- which in MHO is a terrible mistake... It very difficult to carry everything and hold a table at the same time. In the past, waiters were there to assist you -- no more... You have older guests that do need the trays and the personal assistance too.

We went out and bought our 2 beautiful trays - in white and blue lightweight plastic, as we are not into fumbling around with hot plates (many times right out of the dishwasher - steaming hot), running back and forth for things and dropping silverware. We went on a recent Princess cruise in April and packed our trays and it was the best thing we ever did. Everyone loved them and wanted them -- even the crew. Additionally, as Pokeynose pointed out -- we are not huge eaters or obese -- but it certainly makes things a heck of a lot easier.

Now, we are heading to Alaska on the veendam in two weeks and our trays will be in our suitcases along with the seafood forks and nutcrackers. We had heard there was a seafood buffet on Princess in April and read they did not supply the seafood forks or nutcrakcers for the lobster claws or crab -- so we were ready -- why serve it, if you can't get to half the food???

Anyway, it is funny how small things can mean so much to many people -and can be easily fixed. Sometimes, in trying to increase corporate profits company executives lose sight of what they are trying to achieve in the first place...:)

I'm not sure that Trays in general contribute to the wasting of food. I was at a buffet this weekend and no trays, but several people, loaded up their plates, ate 2 things half-way off of it, then went back to get another plate full of stuff. This went on and on. Mucho food waste and not a tray in sight.

Trays don't cause food waste, people cause food waste.:eek:

We were recently on the NCL Jewel and they also incorporated the 'no tray' policy. I thought it would be a problem but it was fine. The silver ware were wrapped in napkins and on the tables. We brought insulated sealed mugs for coffee or ice tea (carried them in a tote when finished) and my meal fit on 1 plate.

I agree though, it would be a problem for the handicapped or families with children. When my parents go to a buffet (no trays there), mom is handicapped (walker) so dad just fixes a plate with her first and settles her at the table, and then goes back to get a plate for himself. They don't seem to mind and are not always seated close to the food service.

Please stop the madness...there are in the Lido trays on the Zuiderdam. I know because I'm on her right now. :D

I think you are probably serious so I'll answer with serious response.

It is not madness.

Though you have trays on Zuiderdam, others on other ships no longer have trays.

Maasdam and Eurodam for sure do not have trays. I know most of the ships have within the last short time span discontinued offering them and there is no reason to think they will ever return.

Enjoy your tray, Di. It may be the last you see of them. ;)

The questionairre that one can complete (at least on the trayless Veendam) had a question about our satisfaction level with the "trayless service" in the Lido. Those, like us, who found no tray was a problem, can mark their low level of satisfaction on their response. HAL might just notice.

The "trayless" service problem on the Veendam was compounded by the code red. I only have two hands, and am not very good at balancing things on my head, so found getting a decent meal was a major problem, considering the long lineups and very ineffecient service that accompanied code red.

I know most of the ships have within the last short time span discontinued offering them and there is no reason to think they will ever return.

Enjoy your tray, Di. It may be the last you see of them. ;)

just got off the Volendam..there were trays galore!!

When we were on the Westerdam last month as it repositioned I saw a lot of trays:eek:. However they were all stacked on a cart and not available for use. I found this rather amusing so I took a picture of them so I would remember with fondness the days when I could load everything I wanted and needed and only make one trip through the Lido.:o

Wow. Seafood forks and nutcrackers. I never heard of that before. I love this thread. Almost as much as the ones about smoking and smuggling booze. What fun!;)

You'll be the envy of all the other passengers, if you walk out on deck with your nutcrackers in a fancy holster.

Star%20holster%20010.jpg

:DI can't believe there would be a "satisfaction" question relative to trays!

That is so much fun!

can't get no satisfaction

I can't get no satisfaction

'cause I tray and I tray and I tray and I tray

I can't get no, I can't get no

Mick_JAGGER_C-794811.jpg

I know that. I'm a flower child. I just get such a kick out of Keith Richards and the pictures of him. It's a miracle he's still living. Sorry, this is so off-topic. We can get back to whatever it was that we were talking about. Trays, whatever.

I know that. I'm a flower child. I just get such a kick out of Keith Richards and the pictures of him. It's a miracle he's still living. Sorry, this is so off-topic. We can get back to whatever it was that we were talking about. Trays, whatever.

keith-richards_on-smoking-weed.jpg

are you sure you meant to say that:D

all we need is another "smoking thread":eek:

Well, there we were on our priced balcony on the Monnickendam with the finger nail clippings in the little gutter and the small rust stains from frequent sea air on the bottom, enjoying life in general and a nice sunset specifically, and all of a sudden, out of the blue skies, our next door neighbor started smoking:eek: Smoking you say, holy moly? Yes, smoking, and not just a little cig but a peace pipe of all things, one of them bad boys right out of them Cowboys & Indiun flicks. So I said to the child bride, "Child bride, that just ain't right, I'm gonna knock on that dude's door and give him a piece of my mind".

So, next door I go, give it a couple of raps, so that door opens up and here's a guy that looks just like that pic that Pipedreams just posted - been in the sun a couple of times too much. So I go "Senor, we are the smoke federales, you know, the smoking police! Quit your peace pipe smoking or you're sleeping with the fishes and Jimmy Hoffa tonite!" So the dude goes "Smoking Police?? If you're the Smoking Police, where are your badges?" "Baadgees?" I say "Baadges, I don't got to tshow you no stinkin' baadges". Ok, so that was good enough for me so I confiscate that pipe and, since tonight's formal, I decide to offer it as a token of peace to Captain van der Vander.

To be con't

Well, there we were on our priced balcony on the Monnickendam with the finger nail clippings in the little gutter and the small rust stains from frequent sea air on the bottom, enjoying life in general and a nice sunset specifically, and all of a sudden, out of the blue skies, our next door neighbor started smoking:eek: Smoking you say, holy moly? Yes, smoking, and not just a little cig but a peace pipe of all things, one of them bad boys right out of them Cowboys & Indiun flicks. So I said to the child bride, "Child bride, that just ain't right, I'm gonna knock on that dude's door and give him a piece of my mind".

So, next door I go, give it a couple of raps, so that door opens up and here's a guy that looks just like that pic that Pipedreams just posted - been in the sun a couple of times too much. So I go "Senor, we are the smoke federales, you know, the smoking police! Quit your peace pipe smoking or you're sleeping with the fishes and Jimmy Hoffa tonite!" So the dude goes "Smoking Police?? If you're the Smoking Police, where are your badges?" "Baadgees?" I say "Baadges, I don't got to tshow you no stinkin' baadges". Ok, so that was good enough for me so I confiscate that pipe and, since tonight's formal, I decide to offer it as a token of peace to Captain van der Vander.

To be con't

Dutch_sea_captain.gif

How about using a card board box. They are light so they won't be a problem flying and they will make it past the ship xray detector. I can see it now passangers sliding a box down the line and pilling it high with food. LOL

BTW Target has fancy trays at the web site. They can only be bought online.

Archived