Couldn't Find Any Trays.......

sail7seas

I suspect we'll get a fair amount of teasing for bringing our own trays... :D

I don't think I'll be decorating our unless someone can provide me with a big decal of my very favorite Logo. ;)

(see below)

Since we haven't sailed in a couple of years, this "no tray policy" is new to me. This is supposed to stop the spread of the virus, how exactly?

Bringing my own tray won't be a problem since we're leaving out of nyc.

Pokeynose, if it's any consolation, I don't think there's a husband out there that would go along with dressing like a tray.:rolleyes:

While I have purchased a lovely melamine tray (with the cutouts for handles), I decided not to take it on my recent (May 16-23) Amsterdam cruise. And I didn't need it. Lots and lots of trays on board! I didn't ask about the future of the trays on board, but will monitor CC for trends/impacts.:D

I'm not sure if anyone has posted these before, but both the New York Times and Time magazine have written articles about the pros and cons of tray usage in cafeteria environments. Pretty interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/nyregion/29tray.html

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1834403,00.html

----Penny

Nutrioso's links sum things up nicely as to why HAL is phasing out trays. Food waste is a primary motivator. Anyone who has been to a college cafetreria or the Lido buffet can attest to the food piling frenzy that takes place.

Whether the reduction/elimination of trays improves passenger etiquette in the Lido buffet line is another topic of discussion entirely.

I'll probably be FLAMED royally for this but .....

I think it is just ridiculous to take your own tray(s) on a cruise. :p

I agree.

We don't eat a lot at lunch -- thus we don't need a tray to fill with tons of plates overloaded with food which we would never eat.

AND -- I don't need to have that small extra weight when I fly!!

I completely agree. We were on Princess a couple of years back and they have large platters that were very easy to use even when you had a sandwich and soup on them. Honestly, I always took my food OFF of the tray when I got to the table and they tended to just clutter up the space, in my opinion.

I do realize though that for some people with mobility issues a tray could be useful, but I don't see where most folks should have a problem without them if they took them away.

Here comes my flame to you.......maybe you have two good hands and arms, many of us don't. There is no way I can carry my coffee, juice, cereal, milk and maybe some toast all in one trip to my table and I'll be d--'d if I will make several trips back and forth, my legs "ain't" that good either. I don't think I'll rely on any of the help to help me if they are busy, busy helping all the other older ladies and gentlemen or families with little kids. Guess we should just hide in our room and order room service. That's a thought.:p

Thought I'd add, we are not big eaters but need to eat a balanced diet since we are both diabetic, we do not over eat as some have indicated here if you use a tray.

My desire for the tray includes how to handle hot plates passed to us from the servers. How many times they say "Careful, hot plate". And they are right.... sometimes those plates are too hot to handle with bare hands.

I had an e-mail today from a friend sailing on Maasdam and she told me she could not hold her plate of eggs this morning. It was too hot. She tried to take her eggs, juice, coffee and napkin/silverware to Pool area to eat. (She said there were no silverware settings set out at the tables by Lido Pool.) She could not manage particularly because her plate was too hot to handle.

Not everyone wishing to use trays is over-eating.

If someone needs assistance with their plates, couldn't they ask for a tray? I never thought about the hot plates either. They can be "too hot to handle". There must be some way to assist those who cannot manage, at least, I would hope so.

I agree.

We don't eat a lot at lunch -- thus we don't need a tray to fill with tons of plates overloaded with food which we would never eat.

AND -- I don't need to have that small extra weight when I fly!!

I certainly don't over eat but do have mobility issues and found it very awkward on The Veendam without trays. Usually my husband was with me so problem solved but when he was busy elsewhere I couldn't manage. Bring back the trays is my vote:)

I came back 5/15 from the ryndam Inside passage cruise and there were plenty trays. I really hadn't thought of it until a day or two into the cruise remembering this controversy. Guess I am lucky. Ive been on 9 HAL cruises 1991-2009 and never trayless.

Wow! I have been out of the loop for a while:eek: I wasn't aware of the banning of trays. This is a bummer! I think breakfast will be an issue with no tray. Juice, coffee, fruit, hot plate....etc. I am totally healthy and mobile and I think it will take 3 trips to accomplish.

Archived