All things "Victory"

richbum

Okay all you folks with Victory Experience. We will be on the December 9th sailing. This will be our 8th Carnival cruise. Looking forward to this one as I visited a lot of these ports while in submarines with the US Navy, but that was a "few" years ago. DW and I are from Florida and have booked a balcony on the Panorama Deck (1031 - nose bleed section). Have never been on one of the "bigger" Carnivial ships, however, we will complete a cruise on the Glory in September. Anyone with any experience on the Panorama Deck?

Here is what we have scheduled so far, and a lot is based on what I have read from the reviews on CC.

We will probably arrive in San Juan two days prior to the cruise (Dec 7th). Any suggestions for a hotel during that time. Will probably try and fly out the day the ship returns.

Based on CC recommendations have booked the following excursions so far:

St Lucia - COSOL Island Tour

St Kitts - Royston Island Tour

If you have any info on SR 1031 or the Panorama deck would appreciate it. Also, Any good suggestions regarding St. Thomas, Barbados, or St Maarten excusions would be great. Not into a lot of "water sports" - mostly just sightseeing and shopping. Age has a way of slowing you down!

Also - feel free to share anything you have learned that will be a help to us and others that read this board. Thanks in advance.

We stayed in a Panaroma Cabin while sailing on the Dream this past spring and didn't have any problems. I take a Bonine before bed every night for any cruise I go on though....just in case. ;)

We did COSOL's tour and we liked it enough to do it again for our New Year's cruise.

In St. Thomas we enjoy taking the Red Hook Ferry to St. John for the day. We go to Cinnamon Beach first for a few hours and then go to Trunk Bay.

In St. Maarten, we have gone with Bernard twice and really, really like this tour.

We've only been to Barbados once and we went with Silvermoon to swim with the turtles. Unfortunately, we only saw one turtle. :mad: Silvermoon is a great tour company (turtle sightings are not their fault - LOL) but we are going with Calabaza this time just to switch things up a bit.

I can't help you with hotel room info because we stay with family while in Puerto Rico.

You are going to LOVE this cruise! We've been on 17 cruises and we still name this one as our favorite cruise because of these ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Any recent Victory cruisers have the menu for the Chef's Table? Also, what night was it held on?

What a great thread. Hopefully some folks who have sailed recently will share some of their experiences!

Thanks for your help!

Silc

Just off on Sept 30th. Our Chefs Table was on Wednesday

after the day in Barbados. there were10 of us.I did see a second table on Fridat night that had12 diners. The menu is long to type but if you look on Zydecocruisers web page it is the new menu with Salmon and Wagyu. T he night is really nice and I felt totally worth the money. Be aware that iits a lot of food. I ate half the salmon and about a quarter of my beef. Dessert one bite. I was just so full. Many at our table were able to finish everything. As stated by others red and white wine available. Diet coke was drank by one person.enjoy.

The Chef meets you in the atrium bar and takes you to the galley where appetizers and champagne is served. You then meet the pastry chef who makes warm melting cake with you. You then go to the library where dinner is served. The chef answers questions and a magician entertains. Our night lasted over 3 hours.

• 4 weeks later...
hockeyluver' date=' I sure hope you are planning to do a review or at least give some information! My family and I are doing the same B2B as you, but several months later! :D I need info!!! I'm counting on you![/quote']

oh oh, great at reading reviews, not so good at giving them :D I will try :p I know one thing for sure, I will have a ton of pictures!!

We are just off Victory.... I'm not sure when we had to be back on but the muster drill was around 9:15 or so if I remember correctly. It was long,hot and I couldn't see anything they were showing us. Once that was over it was a wonderful sail away! Enjoy!

We are leaving in a week, how was the weather? Is is cool at night on the deck? I am stressing about what to pack.

We are leaving in a week, how was the weather? Is is cool at night on the deck? I am stressing about what to pack.

The weather was beautiful! The only time I needed a sweater was in the dining room for dinner one night. I didn't pack anything heavier then a light sweater and for the most part I would have been ok without it. I never found it cool on deck at night..........perfect temperature every night! Enjoy...I wish I was going again already!

Dry dock for the Victory is scheduled for Nov.3-15,2013.

Has this been revised?

I'm booked on the 2nd leg of the Conquest repo (8-nights, San Juan - Miami), but I'm considering booking Victory instead and doing a B2B and maybe even B2B2B. There are cruises listed for 11/7, 11/11, 11/16 & 11/21.

I'm hoping she'll have the 2.0 upgrades before then.

As much as I love San Juan (was going to fly down a few days early to get a nice long vaca), I could do 14 days on Victory and get Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Key West, and Cozumel! I really like the looks of that, and should be able to get cheaper air than 1-way to San Juan and 1-way home from Miami.

I've looked through the 2013 sailing calendar from Miami. I see a gap from 10/28 until the 11/7 sailing, so maybe she's getting the 2.0 upgrades then. That would be great because I wouldn't be on the very first after dry dock (I personally feel there are always too many bugs to work out on that first sailing), but would get all those nice, new things!

I sailed Victory in May 2009 when it was a port-a-day (probably have a link to my review thread way back somewhere in this thread). That's the main reason I booked the Conquest repo - to return to St Kitts and Antigua (and add St Maarten, which would be new for me). We virtually did nothing on the ship except have breakfast, dinner and sleep. I do remember the ugly aqua & fish carpet, though! ;)

But if I switch to Victory, I could plan a San Juan cruise for the next year and do what I did in 2009 - fly down early the day before so you have most of two full days prior to sailing, and stay two days post-cruise to recuperate from all the ports.

I'll have to see what I think about pricing. B2B2B for 14 days (75% more days) looks to be about 40% more (I'm solo) than the 8 day. That seems like a good deal, per day (which is how I price my cruises).

I'll have to see what I think about pricing. B2B2B for 14 days (75% more days) looks to be about 40% more (I'm solo) than the 8 day. That seems like a good deal, per day (which is how I price my cruises).

We thought about doing the B2B2B for our cruise in February, but we thought we would just try a B2B and see how that goes. Oh how I would love to add that extra itinerary.... :p

Having just done my first B2B on Fantasy (unfortunately, missed a port on each leg due to Hurricane Sandy), I think this might become my preferred method of cruising.

I used to do two cruises a year - one after tax season and one just before the Holidays. But I may start doing a land vaca post tax season and one longer cruise in the fall.

Since I'm mostly sailing solo, it gives me a little more flexibility. I was solo on Leg 1 (5 nights) and then had a friend join me for Leg 2 (7 nights). Since I have so much trouble finding anyone to sail with me and share the cost, I'm be much more apt for someone to be able to join me on 1 leg than to be able to sail for 10-14 days.

Paying for airfare only once really makes a difference, too. We switched from Port Canaveral to Charleston since we could sail 7 nights for about the same cost as flying to Orlando to sail for 4 nights!

I really like the mix of itineraries I found for Victory once she relocates although I personally prefer smaller ships. I don't like that Victory and Triumph are as large as they are yet I don't get my Fish & Chips. :( You know, because I might starve to death without it. :p

We'll see. I need to give it some serious thought. My deposit for Conquest was $600 as a solo (more than 50% of the total fare). If I booked a B2B2B as a solo, and pay 200% deposits for 3 legs, that would be a chunk of money that I don't really have right now.

Okay, I'm resigning myself to the fact that Victory probably won't have the FunShip 2.0 upgrades before my target sailing date in mid-October (the 5-day 'exotic' E. Caribbean). So, no Guy's Burgers, no Red Frog or Blue Iguana bars, no Blue Iguana Cantina.... :(

Having sailed on Liberty in all her FunShip 2.0 glory last month, what other differences can I expect between the two ships?

What eateries are on both? What eateries on Victory take the place of the new ones on Liberty? Is the Serenity area the same? (And do they lamely close the hot-tubs at 9pm on Victory also?) Is the aft pool area adult-only with a retractable roof like on Liberty?

The other itinerary I'm considering is the same one I traveled before, Liberty's 7-day E. Caribbean, but it's much more pp and I'm not sure I'm ready for another 7-day cruise, and I'm sure my two cats at the house would agree. :)