OH NO!! One person in our party is going to miss the plane!!!!

We are a party of 7 flying direct from PHL to SJU this Sunday May 10th for a cruise on AOS. One person in our party (Aaron) is running into BIG problems and I have no clue what to do???? He is a truck driver and did a trip to California this past week. (Which was stupid to beging with) He was already cutting it close and expected to be in by Saturday afternoon. Well he ran into a DOT check of some sort that got really nasty and time consuming and he lost a TONNNNNN of time. He is just now able to get rolling again and is in Alberquerie (??SP) New Mexico and needs to get home to PA!!

We have non-transferable plane tix, its to late to call my TA, so I calle dthe airline. They said I have to go through the TA but that if they did the change it would cost him about 657.00 to change from a 740am flight to a 135pm flight (still close) but our ship leaves that day at 830pm so he couldnt fly any later...that would even be risky:)

I wasnt sure if anyone here would have any advice???

We are a party of 7 flying direct from PHL to SJU this Sunday May 10th for a cruise on AOS. One person in our party (Aaron) is running into BIG problems and I have no clue what to do???? He is a truck driver and did a trip to California this past week. (Which was stupid to beging with) He was already cutting it close and expected to be in by Saturday afternoon. Well he ran into a DOT check of some sort that got really nasty and time consuming and he lost a TONNNNNN of time. He is just now able to get rolling again and is in Alberquerie (??SP) New Mexico and needs to get home to PA!!

We have non-transferable plane tix, its to late to call my TA, so I calle dthe airline. They said I have to go through the TA but that if they did the change it would cost him about 657.00 to change from a 740am flight to a 135pm flight (still close) but our ship leaves that day at 830pm so he couldnt fly any later...that would even be risky:)

I'd tell him to get to the airport as early as possible, and just act flustered at the checkin counter. They will say "oops you missed your flight" and he will be put on the next one. I travel often for business, and have occasionally missed a flight. Not sure whether they consider my priority status when being so accomodating, but I suspect it is common practice, assuming there is room on the next flight.

Guess he better keep driving until he gets home?? I know how long that drive is. My BIL lives in Phoenix, and we have made the drive there several times. It is 39 hours of straight driving, which CANNOT be done. We would split it up into 3 days, 15 hr, day 1 & 2, and 9 hr. on the last day. Very exhausting and draining trip.

Hope he can get back in time to make the flight for the cruise. Good luck.

Guess he better keep driving until he gets home?? I know how long that drive is. My BIL lives in Phoenix, and we have made the drive there several times. It is 39 hours of straight driving, which CANNOT be done. We would split it up into 3 days, 15 hr, day 1 & 2, and 9 hr. on the last day. Very exhausting and draining trip.

Those kinds of hours are ok for a private car, well maybe not ok, but no rules against it. Truckers can't go more than 10-12 diriving hours per day. He needs a buddy to drive while he sleeos to keep on trucking all the way home.

Hope it all works out!!!

When and where is your first port of call? He will probably need to make plans to meet up with the ship there.

What type of company does he work for? Can he meet up with a co-worker in another city to continue the drive and possibly fly home (or possibly have someone to help him drive straight through)?

How late will he be? Like a couple hours? It varies by the airline.

If they allow him to fly and not buy a new ticket it will probably be stand by only.

What airline you flying if you dont mind me asking?

Amy, insurance won't cover delays that happen before the trip even starts--and there are limited specific reasons for missing flights. Being late is not one of them unless you are in a documented traffic accident on the way to the airport, for example. I am afraid insurance won't cover this situation at all.

Amy, insurance won't cover delays that happen before the trip even starts--and there are limited specific reasons for missing flights. Being late is not one of them unless you are in a documented traffic accident on the way to the airport, for example. I am afraid insurance won't cover this situation at all.

I guess it would only work if he canceled altogether, due to work, which you can do with some insurances, like Access America (if you buy their Biz Pack).

Damn...poor guy.

Is he hauling a load, or is he coming back empty?

If he's hauling, the point is moot.

If he's empty..drive to a major city with an airport, find somewhere to park the truck for an extended period. Fly back to Philly..fly to SJ as scheduled...cruise..come back, fly back to where the truck is, and continue on from there.

I'm thinking it may be cheaper (and safer) not to try to push it too hard...if I'm not mistaken, if they catch him driving over his daily limit, it could cost his CDL...

Oh dear! What a mess. If someone could get to him and share driving that might work, but that will also take time either as well. Maybe catching up in at the first port is the answer. Of course that will probably be costly as well.

No way at all to get to the TA? Sounds like you may need your TA's help.

Call the Airline again, maybe when you get another person you will get a differend answer, the change fee for a ticket should only be between $75 nad $150.00 - give it another shot.

Call the Airline again, maybe when you get another person you will get a differend answer, the change fee for a ticket should only be between $75 nad $150.00 - give it another shot.

I could be wrong but in my experience the change fee is about $100 but you also have to pay the difference in fares. That could be where the $657 is coming from. If he booked a while ago, he likely got a much lower fare than he will get on such short notice.

After reading all the posts, I'm still not sure what trip insurance can do for your friend (since policies do vary). However, did he even buy trip insurance? If so, make sure he has all the details about it (phone numbers, ID numbers, etc), so that he can call them asap if he doesn't make the ship. And make sure he has all the docs he needs to board the ship (rather than have them onboard with someone in your party). Also, you could check on flights to the first port for him- so he knows his options. Most trip insurance programs (that I've used), require you to pay up front (for the plane tickets, etc) and then submit a bill to them for reimbursement.

If he misses the ship, have you considered how you will be in contact with him once you're underway? Does he know how to contact the TA? I assume you can't contact the TA now because the office is closed? If so, call and leave a detailed message so they can help him right away Monday AM (hopefully he won't need them!).

As for rushing home- as others have said, he needs to obey all the trucking rules as well as keep himself and others safe. Better to miss this cruise than risk his life if he drives while sleepy, etc. There will be other cruises!

RN7997~ Any update on your friend? Hoping and praying he makes it home safely and is able to join your group for the cruise. :) He is going to need a vacation after this stressful week!

Others have offered some good advice, especially the advice of making sure he has all of his documents, flight options and contact numbers all written down for him! That will make everything a little smoother if he does miss his flight.

Also, has he packed his bags? If not, I suggest that someone go do that for him now! so that he has a suitcase ready to go as soon as he gets home! I'm sure he would appreciate it! If you can do anything else that he needs done "pre-trip" that will be a blessing and save him valuable time also.

The other suggestion of parking the truck for the week and flying home or renting a car to drive home is a good idea. Is that possible for him in this situation? Please keep us posted of his status.

I have to say I agree with the suggestion that if he's not hauling a load, find a place to park the truck and buy a plane ticket back to Philly today.

If he is hauling a load, then he truly is out of luck and I would find out how much it would cost to change the plane ticket to fly to the first port.

Ya'll are joking about parking the truck? We don't even know if he owns his own truck or if it is company owned. Then the suggestions to fly a friend out to help drive has to make you wonder what some people are thinking??

From OP's post, it's possible DOT caught him on a logbook violation in the first place, and had to wait till he was logbook legal to drive again. My DH has been a long haul trucker for 25 years, and this is something DOT takes very seriously. 10 hr rule means 10 hrs. Now, if he only knew how to run 2 logbooks:rolleyes: BTW, California is very strict when it comes to all DOT violations . Logbook or mechanical.

Not easy to find a place to park a rig and hop a flight from nearest airport. Unless he is an owner/operator, his company wouldn't be too happy with him if he left their rig parked to go on vacation even if he could find a truck stop near an airport.

I hope he makes it before the cut off for boarding the ship. Good luck, and please, let us know how things turned out when you return.;):)

PLUS the difference in the air fare from what he paid to the currant price.

Wow..I wasnt getting updates on the posting here for some reason. Thanks for the responses. Its a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes he had a log book vio and was put out 10 hrs....plus they held him up about 6 hr going over things etc. All this b/c a "girl friend" wanted to go out in the truck!!! I told him not to go this past week.

I called the TA today and here is the deal we fly out at 740 am. There is also a 940 adn 125 flight...last one gets in at 535 pm. whic would be ok b/c AOS leaves at 830pm. The TA told me to change to the 125 (which I am not sure he would even make) would cost him 1300.00 more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We pad 330 for the tix. There is a 150.oo charge plus the ticket difference. ugghhhhh. She did say if he was able to make the 940 flight they may let him on free knowing he was stuck in traffic, but she felt if he told them taht at 125 they wouldnt buy it:(

Oh ya...its US Airways

We are docking first in Barbados on Tuesday May12th. He can fly there for 676.00. At this poitn he is sooooo discouraged he is about to just not go at all. I keep trying to convince him but I am not sure whta he is going to do. See there was another issue early on. He had the trip booked and his and a girl's name on it. Then the girl couldnt go and he coulnt find anyone to go......this was after final payment so he paid double occupancy for an interior and paid for her plane tic and lost that $$ too. He was thinking about not going at that point and we told him to go have a good time. Plenty of other singles onboard and he is so social!!!!

Sonow I think he is really thinking whatever about the whole thing. Its a confusing mess!!!

SO I gave him all the TA's info and he is going to think about it till morning. Our TA is in a mall so she will be in tomorrow.

Ugghhhh...ANyone thing US AIrways would let him on the plane at 125 if he made it in???? Free on standby???

Wow..I wasnt getting updates on the posting here for some reason. Thanks for the responses. Its a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes he had a log book vio and was put out 10 hrs....plus they held him up about 6 hr going over things etc. All this b/c a "girl friend" wanted to go out in the truck!!! I told him not to go this past week.

I called the TA today and here is the deal we fly out at 740 am. There is also a 940 adn 125 flight...last one gets in at 535 pm. whic would be ok b/c AOS leaves at 830pm. The TA told me to change to the 125 (which I am not sure he would even make) would cost him 1300.00 more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We pad 330 for the tix. There is a 150.oo charge plus the ticket difference. ugghhhhh. She did say if he was able to make the 940 flight they may let him on free knowing he was stuck in traffic, but she felt if he told them taht at 125 they wouldnt buy it:(

Oh ya...its US Airways

We are docking first in Barbados on Tuesday May12th. He can fly there for 676.00. At this poitn he is sooooo discouraged he is about to just not go at all. I keep trying to convince him but I am not sure whta he is going to do. See there was another issue early on. He had the trip booked and his and a girl's name on it. Then the girl couldnt go and he coulnt find anyone to go......this was after final payment so he paid double occupancy for an interior and paid for her plane tic and lost that $$ too. He was thinking about not going at that point and we told him to go have a good time. Plenty of other singles onboard and he is so social!!!!

Sonow I think he is really thinking whatever about the whole thing. Its a confusing mess!!!

SO I gave him all the TA's info and he is going to think about it till morning. Our TA is in a mall so she will be in tomorrow.

Ugghhhh...ANyone thing US AIrways would let him on the plane at 125 if he made it in???? Free on standby???

wow!! Not only the extra $$$$ for the air fare,but Im sure the DOT fined him BIG $$$........

almost sounds like this trip was just not meant to be for him...........

BUT if I were him,I'd just slow down,take a breathe and fly to Barbados(if he can afford that)

Archived