What's the earliest flight you've made out of SJU?

I am looking to book a flight home from San Juan when we go on the Adventure in February. What is the earliest flight you've made. I am willing to do luggage valet if that will make a difference.

TIA

We have done this twice. The first time we flew home Sunday around 3 PM. The airport was a madhouse. Food was outside security, the lines were horrendous and there clearly were inadequate facilities for all the people trying to leave. The second time was much better. We stayed Sunday night in San Juan and relaxed, swam and had a nice meal. We then flew home MOnday with no hassles in an almost empty terminal.

Stay an extra night if you can and enjoy your vacation right until the end.

Wave rider is correct. The San Juan airport, for whatever reason, has always been a hassle for us. The best flight we can ever find leaves at 6 p.m. We've gone to hotels on the beach for a day pass, and spend the day on the beach and at the pool. Catch a cab and take the short ride to the airport later in the afternoon. Last time we stayed at a Marriott on the beach. Can't remember the day pass price, but it extended our vacation a little more, and we didn't sit around the airport all afternoon.

Enjoy your cruise!

Rick and Deirdra

I am looking to book a flight home from San Juan when we go on the Adventure in February. What is the earliest flight you've made. I am willing to do luggage valet if that will make a difference.

TIA

The luggage valet does not let you use it if you have a real early flight.

When I used it, your flight had to be after 11:30 AM or later.

It may have changed since then. ;)

I have made an 11:25 AM and I am not comfortable booking anything earlier. San Juan airport can be a nightmare depending on how many ships are coming in the same day as yours.

Also on weekends it is very crowded. ;)

There have been times, (my last cruise from there for one) when the computers go down and no one can get off the ship until they go up again. :(

After my next cruises, I am staying over an extra night and leaving the following afternoon. I am really glad because the airport should not be crowded that day.

I agree with the others. I will NEVER leave SJU on the same day the cruise ends. It took us over 3 hours to get thru check in and the security gates. Lines criss-crossed everywhere and nobody had a clue what was going on. The lines snaked like Disneyland around corners and back again.

The worst part is that I could have purchased a flight for half the price if I returned on Monday so the price of the hotel would have been a wash.

We've departed three times from SJU and each time I've been at the airport very early 8:30 or so. It's true it's a madhouse but not until mid-morning and then all he!! breaks loose. We have made 11:30 flights no problem, just make sure you go through security with sufficient time, the line can be REALLY long and slow.

In January our flight was around noon, we had no problem. But we were at the airport before 10:00. I have heard the afternoons are crazy. Our friends stay an extra day. Their flights were cheaper coming home on Monday instead of Sunday, by about $200.00 pp.

We usually leave around 11:30, but we are D+ so leave the ship around 8 am with no problem at the airport. This next time we are staying over till Monday, cheaper flight and better routing, we don't have to go thru Newark...yea!!! Now that airport is the pits:(

I agree with the others. I will NEVER leave SJU on the same day the cruise ends. It took us over 3 hours to get thru check in and the security gates. Lines criss-crossed everywhere and nobody had a clue what was going on. The lines snaked like Disneyland around corners and back again.

The worst part is that I could have purchased a flight for half the price if I returned on Monday so the price of the hotel would have been a wash.

For the first time, we are able to take the extra day at the end of our cruise this June. We also figured the cost of the hotel washes the savings on the plane ticket. We got the Sheraton OSJ for only $115. That plus the eating just about balances out the plane ticket savings. Much better to spend that extra day in SJU.

I am looking at fall flights to SJU and am not seeing any price breaks if you go a day early, same day, or stay an extra day after the cruise! :( The cruise would be 4 months from the first of June. Am I too late, or too early to find San Juan flight deals?

We had a 3pm flight, but the airlines asked us if we wanted to get on the 10 am which we did. In August we booked 1 :25pm, I am hoping that I will not have an issue.

I think we might have the same flight that you do (the week before your cruise) ... is that the direct flight from SJU to BOS on AA?).

Hope that we have enough time!! Didn't even think about staying over this time. We will go the route of the luggage valet and we have transfers with RCCL. Jan

We will be the only ship in port (Nov 21) so am I wrong in assuming I could catch an 11am flight? Prices are horrendous from Albany NY rt. How long would you all wait to see if the fare will go down?

We made a 10:30 am flight with no problems on Easter Sunday. We were on Princess and we were off the ship and to the airport by 8:30. Make sure you go through USDA inspection first. We had no lines at all. We were sitting at the gate for Jet Blue by 8:45. Its pays to get up and going early. We were even able to have sit down breakfast on the ship before we disembarked.

Our flight leaves SJ at 4:30 on a Saturday. What is the latest time we should be at the airport? I am trying to decide if we should do the ship island tour and transfer to the airport or do something on our own. :)

Thanks

Our flight leaves SJ at 4:30 on a Saturday. What is the latest time we should be at the airport? I am trying to decide if we should do the ship island tour and transfer to the airport or do something on our own. :)

Thanks

I think that is about the time our flight left last time we were there. Ships get in early, so we did the valet service, got off the ship and went to OSJ. We enjoyed our time there, ate lunch, and then went to the airport. We had no problems at all, especially since our luggage was already there.

I think that is about the time our flight left last time we were there. Ships get in early, so we did the valet service, got off the ship and went to OSJ. We enjoyed our time there, ate lunch, and then went to the airport. We had no problems at all, especially since our luggage was already there.

That sounds exactly like what I want to do but what time did you leave for the airport form OSJ? Everyone keeps saying how long the lines are and don't want to miss our flight. :(

:o What's the luggage valet?

Stephanie

I read on RCI that they will take your luggage for $20. per person plus whatever the airlines charge per bag after you clear customs to the airport. You don't have to worry about wagging it along with you.:)

What if your cruise ends on a Saturday? Are we good to fly then, or do we stay over 2 days? :confused:

We flew home early Sunday morning after our Saturday sailing, beating the crowds from the ships that day. The airport was still a mass of people at that early hour with tons of conventioners flying home.

Is this service for all airlines? Is it $20 pp, or per bag?

Most airlines participate in the luggage valet service, but not all.

The cost is $20 per person and you can check up to 2 bags.

Archived