any news/rumors about Elation summer 2010

I hope it's going in for drydock and refurb. Someone who just got off said it was filthy and run down--upholstery and carpets both. I sailed on her when she was new, so I hope they clean her up. It was so bad she put a napkin on her chair in the MDR to sit on, as the chair looked so bad.

Filthy:confused: While she is aged she was not even close to being filthy when we sailed her last Dec.........

Maybe she is going in dry dock for evolutions of fun and also adding balcony cabins?

Filthy:confused: While she is aged she was not even close to being filthy when we sailed her last Dec.........

Maybe she is going in dry dock for evolutions of fun and also adding balcony cabins?

Maybe, but she was in a regular 2-week dry-dock just 3 months ago.

When people say this stuff ( not you glendale, but whoever was the OP)

I hope it's going in for drydock and refurb. Someone who just got off said it was filthy and run down--upholstery and carpets both. I sailed on her when she was new, so I hope they clean her up. It was so bad she put a napkin on her chair in the MDR to sit on, as the chair looked so bad.

I just got off the Elation on Sun. I have cruised her several times ( see below) The Elation is in great shape. I saw no signs of "filth" anywhere. I even commented one day to my son, That when I got up early they were out with little brushes and buckets scrubbing the silver trim on the lounge chairs on the Lido deck. That was how detailed they were cleaning that day.

On debarq they were out cleaning carpet and painting the hull, steam cleaning the furniture in the open areas. And this was EARLY as we had priority debarq and were home by 9:30am. Who knows what all they got done after that.

Yes, she is an older ship and not "pristine" like a new ship. But I loved her and have her booked in August and Nov.

Well I just checked Carnival's site since I am starting to plan for next year and from what I could see, all the 3 and 4 night cruises to Catalina and Ensenda seem to be only on the Paradise. Makes me wonder now if the Elation isn't going someplace else? Or maybe Carnival is trying to work the itineraries for just sailing to Cabo? Inquiring minds would like to know! :D

I am sure if Carnival thought there was a profit to be had in Hawaii, they would do the same thing NCL did in creating NCLA (buy a couple Senators and a Governor), and create Carnival America. Since NCLA has pulled most of it's capacity OUT of Hawaii, it's obviously not a viable business proposition.

Never happen at CCL. I believe the issue with NCL pulling out was the horrific reviews from people going on these ships.

Never happen at CCL. I believe the issue with NCL pulling out was the horrific reviews from people going on these ships.

My 72 year old Mother said that that was the worst cruise she was ever on.

She likes carnival very much, but loved her last cruise on RCCL out of North Jersey, she is booked on the same ship next year on a longer itin.

I will start the rumor that the Elation is coming to Philly to do alternating itins with the Pride out of Baltimore.

:p:rolleyes:

where would they get the American hulled ship?

Bill

Two hulls were ordered by American Classic Voyages to be built by Northrop Grumman in its Pascagoula, Mississippi shipyard. After September 11, American Classic Voyages went bankrupt. One hull was well into the construction process, and significant machinery had been ordered and was on site for the second hull. Eventually, NCL bought the incomplete hull and machinery. They loaded the machinery into the unfinished hull and sent them to Germany for completion. The unfinished hull was lengthened and built out as Pride of America. The machinery was used in Pride of Hawaii, and the US government let them reflag Norwegian Sky as Pride of Aloha to sail Hawaii before the other two "Prides" were comlpeted.

Pride of America is doing quite well by most accounts now that NCL has consolidated the best of the American crew members into a single ship and reduced capacity by reflagging and repositioning PO Hawaii and PO Aloha.

This is the future Pride of America when she left Mississippi. NCL got some big government concessions, no doubt, but you can see a lot of work was done in the US for this particular ship.

proj_am_departing3.jpg

Rumor has it they are considering moving the Elation to a new home port, possibly San Francisco and moving another CCL ship to home port San Diego to compete with the RCCL Radience of the Seas which is rumored to also be considering home porting in SD after it was pulled from the South America itinerary.

This comes from my TA, but that's the main reason you can't find itineraries is because no one knows for sure what is going to happen. Remember, this is all speculation, not fact.

I hope this is what they are doing. I would love to have a newer and nicer year round ship in San Diego.

Just a few thoughts of our own about the Elation:

Our first-ever cruise was on the Elation in November 2008 for our 30th anniversary,

She is definitely NOT a filthy ship. We sailed on her in Nov 08 (prior to her Mar 09 drydock) and she was pristine, clean and well maintained (a wee bit of rust here and there, but hey, when you're sailing on a big salt water ocean, you're going to have some rust. Every port of call we were at on the cruise, the maintenance folks were painting and touching up trouble spots around the ship...a never ending battle for any type of ocean-going vessel (even Carnival's newest vessel, the Splendor). She is about 10 years old and the crew has taken good care of her. There are older vessels in Carnival's fleet. Being the biggest and newest of anything (ship, car, hotel, etc., etc., etc), does not necessarily mean it is the best.

I do not really think Carnival would shift the Elation to San Francisco, for the following reason(s):

- What ports would she travel to?

- Would not be feasible for the Alaska runs, given her lack of balcony rooms (only Cat 11 and 12 have them)

There was another thread running around here awhile back about this same subject, with similar thoughts being given by folks.

My 72 year old Mother said that that was the worst cruise she was ever on.

She likes carnival very much, but loved her last cruise on RCCL out of North Jersey, she is booked on the same ship next year on a longer itin.

I will start the rumor that the Elation is coming to Philly to do alternating itins with the Pride out of Baltimore.

:p:rolleyes:

What the heck- why not throw Norfolk into the mix. They could alternate Philly, Baltimore, and Norfolk runs. :p

I was on the Elation last June, and she wasnt that bad. They were replacing all the carpeting in the hallways during port days. So i know all the hallway carpets were brand new. The seats i sat in were clean at dinner. I didnt think there was anything wrong with the ship when i was on it. I can't wait to go back on.

I do not really think Carnival would shift the Elation to San Francisco,

I don't think this is their intention either........hopefully they will be adding balconies to her and are working on taking her to La Paz......Cabo and La Paz.....like some of us have been saying all along..........

When people say this stuff ( not you glendale, but whoever was the OP)

I just got off the Elation on Sun. I have cruised her several times ( see below) The Elation is in great shape. I saw no signs of "filth" anywhere. I even commented one day to my son, That when I got up early they were out with little brushes and buckets scrubbing the silver trim on the lounge chairs on the Lido deck. That was how detailed they were cleaning that day.

On debarq they were out cleaning carpet and painting the hull, steam cleaning the furniture in the open areas. And this was EARLY as we had priority debarq and were home by 9:30am. Who knows what all they got done after that.

Yes, she is an older ship and not "pristine" like a new ship. But I loved her and have her booked in August and Nov.

WOW. Thanks for the information. I did get it second hand. Nice to hear another view. I really did like that ship and might do that route again

where would they get the American hulled ship?

Bill

I am sure sufficient campaign contributions can get that waived...or they could buy the Norwegian Jade - it was "close enough to American" once before...:rolleyes:

But, like I said, I think NCL did the other cruise lines a favor by proving it's just not a viable business model. Or at least, demand is not sufficient to support multiple ships.

They used to make the stops at Fanning Island (I think it is called) to set itself for the foreign port need. Why couldn't Carnival do that? They would put NCL out of Hawaii completely.

I do not really think Carnival would shift the Elation to San Francisco, for the following reason(s):

- What ports would she travel to?

- Would not be feasible for the Alaska runs, given her lack of balcony rooms (only Cat 11 and 12 have them)

There was another thread running around here awhile back about this same subject, with similar thoughts being given by folks.

They could go to Victoria in summer and Ensenada in winter. Alaska would be to far.

I would like to see Carnival do a 14-day like Celebrity does (or did). My sister went on it. Got on in SoCal, went to Ensenada, four days at sea, around five islands or so, and then 4 days back. I would love to do that, but on Carnival.

Princess does a 14 day cruise like this.

I don't think a lot of people would want to take a long 14 day cruise on the Elation.

They could go to Victoria in summer and Ensenada in winter. Alaska would be to far.

I don't think they would do a cruise just to Ensenada, they would probably do Ensenada and Cabo because it would take two sea days to get down to Cabo. That would be a stretch for a 7 day cruise, becuase Cabo is the only port worth getting off of.

They could do somewhat of the same iten. as the Splendor is doing for Canada.

I don't think they would do a cruise just to Ensenada, they would probably do Ensenada and Cabo because it would take two sea days to get down to Cabo. That would be a stretch for a 7 day cruise, becuase Cabo is the only port worth getting off of.

They could do somewhat of the same iten. as the Splendor is doing for Canada.

I agree that Cabo would be the only port worth going to in the south but I think a 7 day cruise for the Elation would also not be in the cards. It doesn't fit the business model for Fantasy class ships.

WOW. Thanks for the information. I did get it second hand. Nice to hear another view. I really did like that ship and might do that route again

Litewait and I were on the cruise together. Just to second her comments, no filth. As a matter of fact, looks like the updated the dining room chairs during the dry dock in March.

In Aug, it will be my 3rd time on the Elation this year and I am picky about filth. Glad to hear you liked the ship give it another try :)

And La Paz:D

They couldn't do La Paz and Cabo in a 7 day cruise from San Francisco.

The Iten. would be something like this if they did it.

Sat. San Francisco

Sun. Day at Sea

Mon. Day at Sea

Tuesday. Cabo

Wednesday. Day at Sea

Thursday Ensenada

Friday. Day at Sea

Saturday. San Francisco

It would probably even be a stretch getting from Ensenada to San Francisco with one sea day. If they did that it would most likely only be Cabo. A lot of people would not do a cruise with one port and five sea days.

Archived