Would You Book NCL for Free Soda?

kimmiekaz

Are you more likely to book NCL because of the soda pop promotion?  

868 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more likely to book NCL because of the soda pop promotion?

• Definitely -- soda adds up, especially for families!
    • I would book with NCL regardless, but the free soda's a nice perk.
    • Maybe -- but I’d prefer a $50 onboard credit.
    • I drink soda, but it isn't a big enough incentive to impact my booking decision.
    • I don't drink soda, and couldn’t care less.
    • If it was Coca-Cola, I'd do it.
    • Throw in unlimited beer, and you’ve got a deal!
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I’ll post)

NCL has to be the worst cruiseline we have ever sailed. Even if they offered complimentery shares in NCL I would refuse.

Wholeheartedly agree. One NCL cruise was enough for us. A baked potato offered as an appetizer on the dinner menu:eek:. Never any cups available by the coffee urn during breakfast; ditto for ice cubes with the iced tea at lunchtime. Have to give their kitchen credit, tho. Lots of imaginative dinner entrees made with chopmeat every evening.:eek:

I like NCL well enough, but free soda would probably not be a deciding factor in picking a cruise. The only soda I drink is diet coke with my rum and soda water with my vodka. I usually get one soda card so I can get the sodas to mix with our bar set up in the room, so I guess it would save me a few dollars.

When we first started cruising - NCL and Royal Caribbean - sodas were ALWAYS included free as part of cruise passage fare - no limits - as much as you wanted the entire cruise - at bars, buffest, dinner, etc. - anywhere - and NO card was bought - just part of everything included.

I'd rather have the $100 value in ship credit. I rarely drink soda, so I'd rather just shell out $5 over the week for a drink or two. This definitely would not factor in to whether or not we decided to book a Norwegian cruise.

This is what my answer would have to be. I probably drink all of one or two sodas a week on a cruise, usually a ginger ale if I have a bit of queasiness, or a coke added to Jack, although that is rare for me.

I almost hate to see free sodas offered. When we have been on a cruise with free unlimited sodas, the kids were throwing it at each other around the pool deck. The empty glasses all over the ship was annoying. Come to think of it, it was an NCL ship, years ago and it was the only thing we didn't like onboard...the messy glasses piling up everywhere.

Free soda and other silliness is NOT my criteria for a cruise.

I want a decent price, good and attentive service, a spacious cabin with a nice balcony, good food, carefully prepared and attractively served. I want a well-trained reservations department that can answer my questions should I have any.

I want a friendly Guest service desk aboard...some interesting daytime activities (besides hairy chest, bingo and the like)... Also, a spotlessly clean ship - inside and out, comfortable public areas, clearly defined smoking and nonsmoking areas (and enforcement).

I'd like the rules to be enforced - or removed. If nobody on the ship is not going to enforce their own rules, then do away with them....and say so on the website. Just the simple ones like: parents keeping control of their children so the kids don't run rampant all over the place, thoroughly checking all bags from smuggled booze to help prevent roaring drunks and teenagers who have access to Mom and Dad's private cabin stash....no saving of seats at the pool or main show lounge...or any other public venue..... Things like that.

I don't give a rat about something as insignificant as soda.......

I will be sailing NCL because I love Freestyle cruising and I don't drink alcohol so this will be a really good thing for me. Bring it on.

Ditto. I love NCL but always lug my own soda on board so the free soda offer would definitely sway me towards NCL if I didn't already love them.

I think all cruise lines should offer a glass that you can refill anytime after you purchase it. That is what they do in Disney World resorts and it works great. That is cheaper then a soda card!! But to be very honest..i don't think they should charge for soft drinks at all........the profit margain is huge in pop!!!

Free soda and other silliness is NOT my criteria for a cruise.

I want a decent price' date=' good and attentive service, a spacious cabin with a nice balcony, good food, carefully prepared and attractively served. I want a well-trained reservations department that can answer my questions should I have any.

I want a friendly Guest service desk aboard...some interesting daytime activities (besides hairy chest, bingo and the like)... Also, a spotlessly clean ship - inside and out, comfortable public areas, clearly defined smoking and nonsmoking areas (and enforcement).

I'd like the rules to be enforced - or removed. If nobody on the ship is not going to enforce their own rules, then do away with them....and say so on the website. Just the simple ones like: parents keeping control of their children so the kids don't run rampant all over the place, thoroughly checking all bags from smuggled booze to help prevent roaring drunks and teenagers who have access to Mom and Dad's private cabin stash....no saving of seats at the pool or main show lounge...or any other public venue..... Things like that.

I don't give a rat about something as insignificant as soda.......[/quote']

Totally agree!!

I do think it is a nice offer, but it is not an incentive that would cause us to cruise with NCL. I think that NCL is a wonderful cruise line and they offer a wonderful product. I think they have great ships, etc. But everyone has different "wants" when they cruise. My DH and myself LOVE formal night and the more formal the better. We love a quiet, refined cruise. The closest we have been able to get to that out of the main line cruises is Celebrity. We have nothing against NCL at all, in fact we wish you still had the Pride of Hawaii in Hawaii or we would have done that cruise this year. I am not crazy about the ship Pride of America, so we are still giving that a lot of thought.

If we cruise with a bunch of teens and every one was off doing different things I think NCL would be great. I think NCL has good itineraries, and good pricing. But it is just not for us.

I don't drink soda but my husband is addicted to it...particularly Mountain Dew. The free promotion would not sway us much. We are sailing to Alaska with NCL this September (booked before the promotion) and were lured by the casual dress and dining options. I still think the "freestyle cruising" atmosphere is a bigger draw for us than a few free sodas.

NCL has to be the worst cruiseline we have ever sailed. Even if they offered complimentery shares in NCL I would refuse.

Agree with above. NCL worst cruiseline. I am a Carnival wor-Shipper! Hee hee.

I have no problem sailing on NCL, so yes, this has "increased my chances" to book them now.

In case anyone is counting, or asking, here is something that would increase the chances of booking with that cruise line over another (assuming prices were all in the same ballpark):

1. $50 photo package per cabin

2. Specialty restaurant (2 per cabin)

3. $50 in on board spending per cabin (OBC)

We seldom drink soda so it's not an issue for us. DW does prefer Pepsi when the choice is available.

It's a partnership promotion so you can bet that NCL is getting a huge discount on the product for the time of the promo. Pepsi ends up getting advertising out of it.

I always enjoy these threads though. Any time one pops up that says "Would you sail (insert cruise line here) if they (insert incentive here)?" and the line-bashers pour out of the woodwork, usually with the comment "not even if it was free". If I followed all of their advice there wouldn't be a mass market line left for me to choose from.

Charlie

Carnival/Princess allows you to bring your own soda on board. That's good enough for me.

I agree. Only sailed NCL once (a LONG time ago). When we take the kids, we carry on soda for them-it works for us. "Free" sodas would not factor in a vacation decision for us. Honestly, I don't like "promotions" much, just give me the best price and let me decide how to spend the rest :)

I'd sail NCL again IF:

1. A newer NCL were sailing out of Texas

2. The Soda incentive were Coke products instead of Pepsi (I'd rather have water over the syrup of ipepcac aftertaste of Pepsi.)

3. The Soda were CANS instead of fountain. More fizz.

4. The price for a balcony cabin were less than the identical cabin on other cruiselines.

PS My last trip on NCL WAS free (taxes/ins only...$250pp for 7 night inaugural on the Sun, website price mistake.)! I got my money's worth. Even had one cabin aft. Really miss the old Latitudes sailings with nightly appetizers in the stateroom. USED to be a very nice line. No longer competitive in service or perks. IMO. We moved on when the Freestyle started. And have never looked back.

Archived