Shore excursion info and venting about Carnival

theroos

Going on my first Carnival cruise in March with my wife.

First shore excursions. When I went to book a shore excursion on line with them I found out you cannot! I can just see 2000 people going or calling the excursion desk at the same time! I guess they believe in the early bird gets the worm. I am on vacation and do not want to worry if I am going to get shutout from a excursion.

But THE GOOD NEWS IS starting at the end of Jan in 2005 you can BOOK EXCURSIONS ON LINE. Welcome to the 20th and 21 century's.

I also notice that most people on these boards are very loyal to a cruise line instead of being objective. A lot of misinformation about each cruise line is given out. For example they say you pay more for the amenities on other cruise lines when you book a room. I have a Cat 12 cabin on our cruise and that is the equal of a Grand suite on the RCCL VOS and the AD penthouse on the NCL Dawn. Except there is no butler, concierge or Full room service menu's on Carnival. When you compare apples to apples the prices on Carnival are more and without the services.

I called their customer service three times for a very simple problem and they were nasty. But to be fair NCL'S and RCCL's customer service is just as bad if not worse.

I WILL KEEP AN OPEN MIND UNTIL MY CRUISE. I hope it gets better so I can cruise Carnival again.

On many ships you can book on your TV... and don't worry, 2000 people don't book at once. Don't forget MANY don't use the ships excursions, and there are several excursions... you didn't mention what ship you are on, so as to whether or not you can book on your TV, can't tell ya.

When you get on board they will have a form to fill out listing the excursions you want to take. If you fill it out quickly and drop it at the excursion desk you will probably get the excursions you want. That is what we usually do and have always gotten the ones we wanted. Maybe we don't go on the ones anybody else wants.smile.gif

Roo - I hope your cruise turns out better than you expect it to.

One thing I'd like to offer is that in all my cruises, I've never seen a 'line' at the shore excursion desk. I also haven't booked an excursion since my early cruises in the late '80s, as there's so much to do on my own, and much less expensively. Believe me, not even half the folks on any ship book excursions.

Yep, a lot of us are loyal to Carnival, just as those on the other boards are to their favorite lines. Doesn't mean we're all closed-minded. Most of us have tried other lines as well as Carnival, but feel we get the best 'bang for the buck' with Carnival. Everybody's different, and you've decided to choose Carnival for this cruise, so........enjoy!:)

Going on my first Carnival cruise in March with my wife.

First shore excursions. When I went to book a shore excursion on line with them I found out you cannot! I can just see 2000 people going or calling the excursion desk at the same time! I guess they believe in the early bird gets the worm. I am on vacation and do not want to worry if I am going to get shutout from a excursion.

But THE GOOD NEWS IS starting at the end of Jan in 2005 you can BOOK EXCURSIONS ON LINE. Welcome to the 20th and 21 century's.

I also notice that most people on these boards are very loyal to a cruise line instead of being objective. A lot of misinformation about each cruise line is given out. For example they say you pay more for the amenities on other cruise lines when you book a room. I have a Cat 12 cabin on our cruise and that is the equal of a Grand suite on the RCCL VOS and the AD penthouse on the NCL Dawn. Except there is no butler, concierge or Full room service menu's on Carnival. When you compare apples to apples the prices on Carnival are more and without the services.

I called their customer service three times for a very simple problem and they were nasty. But to be fair NCL'S and RCCL's customer service is just as bad if not worse.

I WILL KEEP AN OPEN MIND UNTIL MY CRUISE. I hope it gets better so I can cruise Carnival again.

So you are complaining about not being able to book excursions online, but they have fixed that problem and you'll be able to do so in January.

Then you complain about the rooms on a ship that you've never been on.

Then you say the price for Carnival is more without all the services, but again, you've never sailed on Carnival.

Seems as if you've made up your mind. I can guess what your trip report will be like.

And I find it very telling that you say all three companies you mentioned have terrible customer service. You might want to figure out who the commom denominator is in that equation. Just a thought.

theroos...seems as if you have already made up your mind as to what your vacation will be like. with the attitude you have you will be miserable. Hope you aren't on my cruise, worse yet, hope you aren't at my table!

Amen

How about cutting some slack here......The poster is frustrated, that's all. He/She is just trying to figure Carnival's systems out. Chances are that he/she will have a great time. It's just the unknowns... That can happen to any of us.

PS; I'm glad Carnival is going on line with excursions. We also cruise Holland America and we select and pay for shore excursions months ahead of time....all on line.

How about cutting some slack here......The poster is frustrated, that's all. He/She is just trying to figure Carnival's systems out. Chances are that he/she will have a great time. It's just the unknowns... That can happen to any of us.

PS; I'm glad Carnival is going on line with excursions. We also cruise Holland America and we select and pay for shore excursions months ahead of time....all on line.

:confused: Unknowns? :confused:

The issues that the OP is frustrated about are well-documented here and other places. Sorry, but "I didn't know" doesn't fly if you're not willing to do a little research before signing the check or handing over the plastic magic.

For example they say you pay more for the amenities on other cruise lines when you book a room. I have a Cat 12 cabin on our cruise and that is the equal of a Grand suite on the RCCL VOS and the AD penthouse on the NCL Dawn. Except there is no butler, concierge or Full room service menu's on Carnival. When you compare apples to apples the prices on Carnival are more and without the services.

How much did you pay for your cabin (don't answer that, it's a rhetorical question)? I've seen the price of a Grand suite, and the price of a cat 12, and there is a HUGE difference between the two. Carnival's top suites are much more affordable than the other lines, which I love, because I can get a bigger room without having to pay for services I won't use.

We've never had a problem booking an excursion. Sometimes deciding which excursion to take is the problem. We've always gotten what & when we requested. For me the key is to get it done fairly quickly. Most people spend their first hours wandering around the ship, I head for the excursions desk. I've never waited more than 10 minutes and met some fun people in the process.

I can't help you with comparisons of Cat 12 Suites. I don't live in that strata but frankly can't imagine why I'd need a butler or concierge on a cruise. There are already about a thousand people there to help you.

I hope you have a great time, despite any reservations you may be having. Carnival isn't for everyone. That's why there are other cruise line to fill the other niches.

If you're worried about booking the excursions in advance, why not visit the Ports of Call boards here on Cruise Critic and book your own now?? That's what we did and saved a bundle of money doing it that way. Your fellow cruisers share their best tours and operators and alot of them aren't even offered through Carnival. Just think, all the money you'll save you'll be able to tip the staff more because your cruise and service will exceed your expectations :)

First I want to say that I believe in the adage said many times on these boards is

“Any cruise even a bad one is better than a week at home or work” My “attitude is” that my wife and I will have great time no matter what happens.

I thought I was passing along some important info that I learned about the shore excursions in the future.

I was being facetious about the 2000 people on line at the shore excursion desk. My point was it was an antiquated practice because most people like to have it planned and in their budget ahead of time.

I do extensive research before I book a cruise or for any questions asked on the posts before I reply. For example I did two nights of research for a cruise in May about what time to board the ship. The doc’s said 6pm and after the research I found out we could board 8 hours early and I passed this on to my fellow cruisers.

I did not know that on the “Carnival Thread” that stating facts comparing ships and cabins with other cruise lines would not bring viable feedback from people that have cruised on Carnival.

I will not respond to some of the remarks because it is not my style.

I will stay off the Carnival treads but will post a review after my cruise. The ship we are going on is the Inspiration.

Wow. When it comes to price comparisons, all I can say is: I'm currently booked on two cruises. One is a Carnival Cat 11 and the other is a RCCL Balcony Guar. The RCCL Balcony is only $10 cheaper than the Carnival suite. Sure, they're at different times of year, but still, not much difference in my cost.

I don't think you should stay off the Carnival threads... And it is not like others don't want to hear factual information...and opinions... However I think the "tone" of the original email was a little sharp and just condescending...you criticized the "Carnival" cruisers about being loyal to a particular cruise line without finding out the facts...and yet you have never even sailed on a Carnival ship before??? It makes no sense... You can only do so much research...and even then you can't get it all... Kind've like a student in school....they can study, and study about life but there is a huge difference when they actually have to start living it... Now I know it is apples and oranges... But...I have sailed RCI and Carnival and I prefer Carnival...and that comes from experience not research. However, I am like you...I research things to death. I"m trying to book a cruise for 2006 and have been researching and thinking about it for three months now...who knows when it will get booked...and once I do book it...I'll probably log hours, and hours, and hours, and hours researching. So even other people research too :) Please don't stay away from the threads having to do with Carnival...

I agree that the orignial poster shouldn't stay away from the Carnival threads but I also think it's unfortunate he feels he has to. Sometimes it's ok for someone (even someone who has not sailed Carnival before) to make a statement or comparison as he sees it between the different cruise lines without being attacked in return. And frankly I also agree that it's time Carnival allowed excursion booking online- I prefer to book tours through the ship and I would like not having to feel that the first thing I have to do when I board is fill out the tour form or risk not joining the excursion I want.

Archived