News: fire on Royal Princess right now - muster stations!

CaptainKevin

What crossed my mind was that those who hide in the bathroom during sailaway muster probably rushed to the bathroom when the muster alarms were sounded!

This is why we all must practice the muster drill. Hopefully, none of us will ever need to use it, but if there is a problem at least we all have a clue as to what to do.

Thanks for keeping us posted!!

Terry

Here is what I posted to my Roll Call (as we are doing Egypt on the Grand)

in October

We all pooh pooh the Muster Station Drills however you never know when they will be needed. Also I fly a lot and usually sit in the emergency exit, I always read the emergency brochure as each plane is different and you never know when something might change from the last time you flew. So safety first. I am sure there weren't a lot on board as I am sure many did the overnight like we are doing. Again they were able to account for everyone, I am sure knowing who was off the ship helped. This ship when full has 700 passengers.

CaptainKevin, this Princess addendum might interest you:

Phone numbers have been established for inquiries from family of passengers and crew (only please) currently onboard Royal Princess:

For inquiries about family: 800-693-7222

For inquiries about crew members: 661-753-2804

Latest on Cruise Critic Web Site Home Page- one taken to Medical Center with chest pain!!

Pretty scary - we were just at Port Said on our Princess World Cruise and the port is right in the town - so maybe that is why they moved the ship off shore abit...

Hope all is ok!!

Just spoke to Princess, who sent me the official statement. It says:

"At approximately 8:10 pm local time, an engine room fire broke out aboard Royal Princess, as the ship was departing Port Said, Egypt. Fire teams have been deployed, and passengers have been mustered to their emergency stations. The ship is currently anchored off the coast of Port Said.

All passengers and crew are accounted for and there are no injuries. We will provide further information as it becomes available."

I'll let you know if we hear anything else. Good news is that it sounds like everyone is safe!

Thank you Erica for the updates. So glad to hear that everyone is ok. Please post any additional information you receive. Our thoughts and prayers are with the passengers and crew. Take care, Lorraine:)

Thank goodness for CC!! We find out things way before anyone else but hopefully there wasn't too much damage done in the engine room.

Here's hoping everyone on board as well as the ship are AOK!!

Yes, thanks for the Princess statement.

Just heard that, according to my niece (my brother's daughter), the ship's crew had started prepping the lifeboats for more rapid deployment if needed.

I hope all ends well.

Must say, having recently witnessed a US Coast Guard med-vac at sea by helicoptor on Sea Princess, I am confident Princess crews have the experience and professionalism to handle most emergency situations.

A fire broke out in the engine room of Princess Cruises' Royal Princess today as it was sailing in the Mediterreanean.

Princess says the 680-passenger vessel was departing from Port Said, Egypt at the time of the blaze, now out, and all passengers were called to muster stations as fire teams were deployed.

The line says all 733 passengers and 393 crew members on the vessel have been accounted for.

The vessel -- the line's smallest -- is on the fifth day of a 12-day Holy Land sailing from Rome to Athens. The ship currently is anchored about five miles off the coast of Port Said.

The line has set up a dedicated phone line that family of passengers currently onboard the ship can call for updates, 800-693-7222.

UPDATE, 5:40 PM ET: Princess says in a statement that while the fire on board the Royal Princess has been extinguished passengers remain at their muster stations this evening as a precautionary measure. The line also says the ship is operating on emergency power.

The statement says an assessment of damage to the ship is underway and after it's finished -- sometime in the next few hours -- the line will be able to provide further information about how the remainder of the cruise may be impacted.

Fire breaks out on Princess Cruises ship sailing near Egypt USA Today

Engine Room Fire on Princess Cruise Ship CruiseCritic.co.uk

Engine-room fire on Royal Princess Mirror.co.uk

I do hope all is well with the passengers and crew--this is just so scary!

The Royal Princess is such a fabulous ship... and this just gives me goosebumps! While I always attend the muster drill and pay close attention, the thought that I would have to use it just flusters me... no one ever knows how they would react in an emergency!?

Thanks again to everyone on this board!

VB1

I do hope all is well with the passengers and crew--this is just so scary!

The Royal Princess is such a fabulous ship... and this just gives me goosebumps! While I always attend the muster drill and pay close attention, the thought that I would have to use it just flusters me... no one ever knows how they would react in an emergency!?

Thanks again to everyone on this board!

VB1

It's wonderful that we have cc to keep us updated. We also attend the muster but have often wondered if everyone would be able to remain calm for the real thing. It sounds like Princess crew must be doing a great job of keeping everything under control.

Glad to be here to get you all information. I spoke with Princess recently -- they're expecting another update within the hour, but no promises. Carolyn and I will continue to check in and will let you know when we hear anything new. We want to know if the passengers are still stuck at their muster stations!

Archived