News: fire on Royal Princess right now - muster stations!

CaptainKevin

[quote name='Erica@cruisecritic']Now you all are faster than me -- I was busy writing up the news item for Cruise Critic and you were all posting it here!

We've asked which shipyard Royal Princess is going to for repairs, but that has not yet been determined. We'll be following the story over the weekend, should there be news, so you can look for updates at [URL="http://www.CruiseCritic.com/news"]www.CruiseCritic.com/news[/URL]

I feel bad for the guests whose cruises were interrupted or canceled (I just did this itinerary on Azamara and it was fabulous), but at least everyone is safe. Fingers crossed that the July cruises will sail on schedule![/QUOTE]

At a guess, and if she can get some engine power, she may well go to Naples or Genoa where the drydock facilities are second to none. There doesn't appear to be anywhere closer, ie on the Port Said side of the Med, with facilities equal to the Italian yards. Another yard that could be able to take her at short notice is Perama/Piraeus maybe.

Costa Romantica was taken to Genoa from Montevideo after her fire for repairs earlier this year.

[quote name='sultan_sfo']I think the reference was to recent photo shoot by Air Force 1 not 9/11.[/quote]
Thank you Sultan SFO, it was... BUT in hind sight (being 20/20) my remarks could be taken differently and I most certainly did not intend that.

Again, poor choice of words on my part! :o

This is an emotional time and I do not wish, in any way, to upset anyone anymore than they already are. Best Wishes to all who are effected by the events on the Royal Princess.

[quote name='Goldryder']At a guess, and if she can get some engine power, she may well go to Naples or Genoa where the drydock facilities are second to none. There doesn't appear to be anywhere closer, ie on the Port Said side of the Med, with facilities equal to the Italian yards. Another yard that could be able to take her at short notice is Perama/Piraeus maybe.

Costa Romantica was taken to Genoa from Montevideo after her fire for repairs earlier this year.[/quote]It'll probably depend on which shipyard has room for her right away. :( It also appears she'll need to be towed which I'm guessing is a huge undertaking for any distance and carries risks.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am sorry that this and the next cruise has been canceled. I thank God that the Royal Princess's crew was able to put out such a fire and that they kept every one safe. It takes a lot of training to do that. I also keep in my prayers the person who had chest pain. May every one on board remain safe and have a good trip back home.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Geo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

[quote name='wilfros']I am so truely sorry, I, in no way, meant to demean the events of 9/11. If you were offended please be assured this was not my intention.

Please accept my heart felt appologies!

On my way to our cruise (June 2nd) we passed Ground Zero (it's another name now I believe) and I felt the sorrow of that day return. I would never intentionally belittle it in any way.[/quote]

[COLOR=indigo][B]99% of us knew that you meant absolutely no harm in your words.......[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]Emails can be very difficult in that way.......expressions and inflections removed can certainly change meaning......[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]We all wish the cruisers a safe journey home and pass along our regrets that they missed a wonderful vacation. [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]Hopefully, they will be able to make-up for it in the future.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR=indigo][B]99% of us knew that you meant absolutely no harm in your words.......[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo][B]Emails can be very difficult in that way.......expressions and inflections removed can certainly change meaning......[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo][B]We all wish the cruisers a safe journey home and pass along our regrets that they missed a wonderful vacation. [/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo][B]Hopefully, they will be able to make-up for it in the future.[/B][/COLOR][/quote]

Thank you very much, HOWEVER, if I offended even 1% concerning the events of 9/11 then I owe an appology. And I give it whole heatedly.

[quote name='wilfros']I am so truely sorry, I, in no way, meant to demean the events of 9/11. If you were offended please be assured this was not my intention.Please accept my heart felt appologies! .[/quote]
[B]OK Wil - grovel no longer - Spats overreacted. No one who had not started his afternoon libations a little early would read your meaning as the events of 9/11 rather than the stupid AF fly-over. But sometimes these posts do tend to lean to the dramatic and we probably shouldn't compare this with any other event.[/B]

[B]I agree with those who say these current Royal pax are going to have one heck of a tale to regale their family and friends. I sincerely hope that Princess made some accommodations for the mustering people who are physically unable to stand for extended periods - with sitting on the ground not much a better option. We're just going to have to wait until everybody gets safely home and we trust some of our fellow Cruise Critic friends will open up a thread and answer our questions.[/B]

[quote name='BayCalif-Ariz R Us'][B]I agree with those who say these current Royal pax are going to have one heck of a tale to regale their family and friends. I sincerely hope that Princess made some accommodations for the mustering people who are physically unable to stand for extended periods - with sitting on the ground not much a better option. We're just going to have to wait until everybody gets safely home and we trust some of our fellow Cruise Critic friends will open up a thread and answer our questions.[/B][/quote]"What I did on my summer vacation" is going to make an interesting story.

I very much doubt passengers were standing while they were at muster. I believe they were in lounges which is the usual Princess procedure for muster.

[quote name='BayCalif-Ariz R Us'][B]OK Wil - grovel no longer - Spats overreacted. No one who had not started his afternoon libations a little early would read your meaning as the events of 9/11 rather than the stupid AF fly-over. But sometimes these posts do tend to lean to the dramatic and we probably shouldn't compare this with any other event.[/B]

[B]I agree with those who say these current Royal pax are going to have one heck of a tale to regale their family and friends. I sincerely hope that Princess made some accommodations for the mustering people who are physically unable to stand for extended periods - with sitting on the ground not much a better option. We're just going to have to wait until everybody gets safely home and we trust some of our fellow Cruise Critic friends will open up a thread and answer our questions.[/B][/quote]

I think about our cruise on CB (just ended). Had this happened to us I don't know what I would have done. Just recouperating from Cancer Surgery I would not have been able to stand or sit for long periods of time. My only respit is to lie flat on my back taking all pressure off the abdomen. That would have been difficult in those circumstances.

I am also sure I was not the only one in a situation like that and am certain there are those onboard Royal with similar situations. I am glad they are reportedly doing OK.

[quote name='Pam in CA']"What I did on my summer vacation" is going to make an interesting story.

I very much doubt passengers were standing while they were at muster. I believe they were in lounges which is the usual Princess procedure for muster.[/QUOTE]
The pssengers may have been standing, but a crew member would certainly have brought a chair for Lorraine Arzt.

[quote name='BayCalif-Ariz R Us'][B]OK Wil - grovel no longer - Spats overreacted. [/B][/quote]

Disagree, don't flame Spats or insinuate that he was drunk when he reacted to that post. 9/11 is a very sensitive topic to many us. :mad:

[quote name='Pam in CA']"I very much doubt passengers were standing while they were at muster. I believe they were in lounges which is the usual Princess procedure for muster.[/quote]

I wonder in this case. The inside halls were full of smoke, even coming into the cabins.

And they ran the lifeboats out on their davits and prepared for immediate launching.

I'd bet they'd want each lifeboat's passengers outside, ready to go.

[B]I'm with you Wil - while DH is perfectly capable of standing as long as most healthy people are able to do, I am not and I have no doubt that many of the passengers had health issues which would have made sleeping outdoors, climbing stairs, little rest, constant tension a nightmare. Obviously Princess encourages EVERYBODY to cruise and it seems to me they are therefore obligated to seek out those passengers who clearly need extra attention and assistance in an emergency and see that they get it. In my case (polio), I'd need a chair to sit down - that's all I would request .But someone such as yourself would need a little more and hopefully you'd get it.[/B]

[quote name='Ljberkow']Disagree, don't flame Spats - 9/11 is a very sensitive topic to many us. :mad:[/quote]
Well I wouldn't exactly call it a topic for merriment for those of us who weren't in the city that day. I still say Spats overreacted although my reference to libations was inappropriate.

Fare refunded and a 25% voucher...

5 hours at a muster station is a bummer, but sleeping on deck (I did overnight deck passage in the med once as a young man) and a story that involves no injuries...

Too bad for the trip cancellation (I can't wait to here the grousing of those whose upcoming cruise is cancelled) but all's well that ends well.

This is terrible news...I am glad to hear the all are safe, but what a terrible letdown for the current (and future) Royal Princess cruisers. We sail on her in about five months, so will follow events closely (and I just purchased non-refundable air tickets earlier this week).

[quote name='BayCalif-Ariz R Us'][B]I'm with you Wil - while DH is perfectly capable of standing as long as most healthy people are able to do, I am not and I have no doubt that many of the passengers had health issues which would have made sleeping outdoors, climbing stairs, little rest, constant tension a nightmare. Obviously Princess encourages EVERYBODY to cruise and it seems to me they are therefore obligated to seek out those passengers who clearly need extra attention and assistance in an emergency and see that they get it. In my case (polio), I'd need a chair to sit down - that's all I would request .But someone such as yourself would need a little more and hopefully you'd get it.[/B][/quote]

If Royal is ANYTHING like Caribbean Princess, I have no doubt that they were well attended to. The crew we encountered were truely professional.

[quote name='wilfros']I am so truely sorry, I, in no way, meant to demean the events of 9/11. If you were offended please be assured this was not my intention.

Please accept my heart felt appologies!

On my way to our cruise (June 2nd) we passed Ground Zero (it's another name now I believe) and I felt the sorrow of that day return. I would never intentionally belittle it in any way.[/quote]

Thank you. You have to understand to most people that lived through it and lost friends, that when someone mentions a low flying plane over NYC it isn't the picture op that comes to mind.

[quote name='spatsmcd']Thank you. [SIZE=3][COLOR=red][U]You have to understand[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE] to most people that lived through it and lost friends, that when someone mentions a low flying plane over NYC it isn't the picture op that comes to mind.[/quote]

I do Understand!!

According to Princess, the passenger with chest pains has been released from the onboard medical center but will be examined by a cardiologist in Cairo before flying home. His chest pains are part of a pre-existing condition, rather than caused by the fire/smoke (so says Princess).

I hope he has travel medical insurance...and am glad he seems to be feeling better!

[B][B][COLOR="Navy"]
Drills are a must.

We all have to STOP , Look and Listen in them.

They do save lives.

The US Coast Guard is so very correct in there drills and Muster Station operations.

This Port SAID, Egypt fire is lucky in only it was handled well and training DOES WORK!

Yes for Passengers, Officers, Staff and Crew too!

It looks as if now the next cruise as Princess Cruise Lines has stated will be canceled.

Will more.. once inspections and reparations are made then they will be announcing more news.

Thank GOD all are well and safe now.

[/COLOR][/B][/B]

[B][COLOR="Navy"]
I did both times in the WTC!

The jet plane ( US AIR ) which landed in the Hudson River in the State of New Jersey was a pilot which had training and was well done! His crew too!

Similar to the princess Cruise Lines Royal Princess they had great training and paid attention to detail!

Oh on that fateful day of 09/11/2001 A.D it was the quietest I ever saw, heard and/or remember, after those attacks.

[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='spatsmcd']Thank you. You have to understand to most people that lived through it and lost friends, that when someone mentions a low flying plane over NYC it isn't the picture op that comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MrPete']Get your Irish back in check. I took it as the AF1 fiasco, not 9/11.

Should be some interesting reading when these pax return.[/quote]

That flyover was worse than this to my 19 year old daughter. Shame on the president for some overly promoted PR . Hope all are well and have a safe journey home.

Again my heartfelt good wishes to those onboard the Royal Princess and all their friends and family at home! I am just so happy to hear that no one was injured and that Princess is taking good care of their own!

The Royal is such a lovely ship and the crew, staff and officers fantastic, and this experience certainly shows that when you board a Princess ship you are in the hands of well-trained folks! Kudos to all!

Thanks to everyone on this board who have taken their time to share! This is also a good reminder to everyone that no matter how savvy a cruiser you are, the muster drill is done for a reason, and you can only hope you will never need to use the instructions you are given!

Happy sailing to all!
VB1

Archived