News: fire on Royal Princess right now - muster stations!

CaptainKevin

we just did this cruise...we did the independent overnight with Nileblue...had a heck of a time preregistring that we would be off the ship overnight...we stayed in the same hotel as the ships tours so hopefully that will help get the message out...we had non refundable airfare from Venice so a change of plans would really have set us back...good luck to those on board.

It is there Holy Day in Egypt , today Friday June 19th, 2009 A.D. now.

May all passengers, officers, staff and crew get underway safely and well.

The ship being so close with other vessels near is great if other situations arise now.

Princess does and should have a Live feed for Information.

It looks like the next port of call for this cruise was Ashdod (Israel). So the overnight was already done and all passengers should have been aboard. If so, good that folks weren't ashore and can get all their belongs off if cruise ends now.

It looks like the next port of call for this cruise was Ashdod (Israel). So the overnight was already done and all passengers should have been aboard. If so, good that folks weren't ashore and can get all their belongs off if cruise ends now.

Just realized you are correct. This sailing (according to the itinerary) stops at Alexandria first and Port Said second. The opposite from what we sailed where we were off the ship for our overnite in Cairo/Giza in Port Said and caught up with the ship in Alexandria. So, it seems the overnite was over and all passengers were back on board before this happened.

Just realized you are correct. This sailing (according to the itinerary) stops at Alexandria first and Port Said second. The opposite from what we sailed where we were off the ship for our overnite in Cairo/Giza in Port Said and caught up with the ship in Alexandria. So, it seems the overnite was over and all passengers were back on board before this happened.

Good.That certainly simplifies things. If it was the other way, there was bound to be one or more independent groups that did not get the word and showed up in Alexandria.

I am glad all accounted for and uninjured. I wonder if anyone was on this trip that was on the old Royal in 2001 in Port Said. That's when we side swiped a passing freighter. 3am we had to go to the muster stations. We were there till 8am. I don't think Royal and Port Said are a good mix. The passengers went on tour that day, Princess worked getting the ship ready to sail. As I remember we left about 3hours later than usual that night.

Good question. Princess takes it farther than any line I can recall. MSC and Costa (on both this year) were a little -- loose with the drill --

CSB

Personally, if there's one area I'd like them to be anal, it's the safety drill! Just curious: what cruise line did you compare it to? I.e., who should we avoid for not taking safety quite so seriously?!

The Cruise News Daily article Pam linked to did indeed mention that the a/c did not operate on generator power. It's going to be a long, stuffy, hot night in an inside or oceanview cabin.

...a number of volunteer employees who serve in other capacities (accountants, auditors, HR staff, IT folk) were being chartered to Egypt as of 1pm today. Basically, they'll be working to aid passengers in every way possible. most likely in making air arrangements if that becomes needed.
Thanks for coming on to post this information. I would think that this type of deployment indicates that Princess is reasonably certain that the cruise is over. So glad Princess is bustin' it to get the passengers taken care of.

For many unaware, Princess has a "Care Team" trainied and ready to go in any event at a moment's notice, these personel are given special training aside from their regular poistions, and are often called in the middle of the night and told to be at the airport in x amt of time with passports etc. They were deployed to assist the grief-stricken families of the employees lost in the mt mckinley car accident who perished last summer, and most recently to santiago for the delay between the cruises when the ship was a day late into port and the ensuing cruise delayed.......this team was created as a direct result of the star fire and for response in such cases to aid passengers in distress when a traumautic event has occurred. It seems to working well and be a good thing. Other members of the care team often remain HQ to "man" the special lines set up for families etc.

Just found this board as I was looking for updates on the Royal Princess. My Parents are on board the ship, and I was able to speak with them this morning. Apparantly the situation on this ship is less than favorable at this time. No use of water, electricity, etc, so basics such as eating, drinking, and toileting are becoming an issue. The president of Princess cruise lines is supposed to be bringing a verdict on the course of action and compensation sometime today.

The passengers were actually lowered in their life boats last night during the "action" but were able to return to the ship within a couple of hours. They have praised the organization and professional quality of everyone involved in the incident. Thank you all for concern for the passengers and crew. I have a feeling this will all be worked out soon.

lizandliz, wish the best for your parents and other passengers.

I would assume this cruise is basically over. With substandard living conditions - lack of food, water, sanitation - they will need to get passengers off ship asap and into hotels while Princess mades flight arrangements.

My big Med cruise - including Egypt is in November so I can relate to how devastating this would be. However, thank God there were no injuries. I'm certain Princess will do a top knotch job in taking care of everyone.

Anybody in contact by phone or email with someone currently on board the Royal? Goodness, several hours at your muster station then allowed to return to your cabin:eek:. It would be interesting to learn what the pax are experiencing and what the overall mood is. I think some extra time in Egypt shouldn't be considered a bad thing:cool: but then I'm not there.

Looks like Princess is bustin' their hump to take care of things. I appreciate that! I do feel sorry for those whose cruise is shot, though. I pray they will remain positive, patient and upbeat now that they are not in any imminent danger.

I'm also guessing that future sailings of the Royal are iffy at best. Once the current pax are taken care of, there will be the task of rescheduling upcoming sailings. Maybe they can get things fixed before the next scheduled departure, but it seems like a formidable task at this point.

We probably don't neeed anymore shots from the webcam until something interesting shows up. Jim raises an interesting question about the future of the Royal. What is most helpful here are the reports from people who have friends/relatives actually on board who are able to comunicate. It sounds like Princess has pulled out all stops to help the pax. I'm sure things are pretty unpleasant right now, so we all hope they'll soon be safely off the ship and enjoying a day in Egypt in a comfortable hotel room. Thank you all for posting with the updates. I just went to the CNN site and "Jon & Kate" making an announcement soon is making more news than this ship. Go figure.

Just found this board as I was looking for updates on the Royal Princess. My Parents are on board the ship, and I was able to speak with them this morning. Apparantly the situation on this ship is less than favorable at this time. No use of water, electricity, etc, so basics such as eating, drinking, and toileting are becoming an issue. The president of Princess cruise lines is supposed to be bringing a verdict on the course of action and compensation sometime today.

The passengers were actually lowered in their life boats last night during the "action" but were able to return to the ship within a couple of hours. They have praised the organization and professional quality of everyone involved in the incident. Thank you all for concern for the passengers and crew. I have a feeling this will all be worked out soon.

Thank you for your update, we are all glad to hear everyone is safe, although becoming uncomfortable. We are booked for the July 7th ttip and appreciate all the news we can get. Please let us know how your parents are doing.

We probably don't neeed anymore shots from the webcam until something interesting shows up. Jim raises an interesting question about the future of the Royal. What is most helpful here are the reports from people who have friends/relatives actually on board who are able to comunicate. It sounds like Princess has pulled out all stops to help the pax. I'm sure things are pretty unpleasant right now, so we all hope they'll soon be safely off the ship and enjoying a day in Egypt in a comfortable hotel room. Thank you all for posting with the updates. I just went to the CNN site and "Jon & Kate" making an announcement soon is making more news than this ship. Go figure.

That's because this is the world we live in. Current events ARE...Jon and Kate. Sad.

What is most helpful here are the reports from people who have friends/relatives actually on board who are able to comunicate.

......this does not look good. Another source of information, Greg is on board and has reported on twitter, including photos:

http://twitter.com/gregsurratt

Pictures I took out our window. We are on the 7th floor, smoke is coming out of 10th floor, fire on 1st floor

DSCN0795.JPG

People sleeping on deck last night

13080959.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1245427276&Signature=7uOrQGlpdEnx6N7RPGjMDw0DYgY%3D

Archived