News: fire on Royal Princess right now - muster stations!

CaptainKevin

I just heard back from my Princess contact. There's still no official update, but she has confirmed that all passengers have been allowed to return to their staterooms. So no one will be sleeping at their muster stations tonight.

Stay tuned for more as I hear it.

Again, I hope all is well and it is good that the passengers have been able to return to their staterooms!

In so saying, I was onboard the Golden last year when we experienced engine failure (I think) and a computer glitch, which shut the whole ship down! It happened during the first seating of traditional dining and they kept us posted the whole time, but the ship was a bit eerie! We were on the emergency generator for about 4 hours and there was no lighting in the cabin, just a ship afloat on the ocean and no land in sight!

So although the folks have gone back to their cabins, I imagine that after a fire scare, they are on pins and needles!

Thanks again to Erica and the many cruise critic folks on this board!

VB1

These kinds of posts always give me a shiver. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

All I can say is that, in our experience, the on-board staff and crew are incredibly well trained at handling such emergencies, and we are confident your family will be safe.

We were on the Star Princess in March 2006 when she caught fire at about 3:00 a.m. We were in our muster stations for 7 1/2 hours. It was not "fun", but it kept us safe and we always felt confident that the captain and crew knew exactly how to handle the situation. There were some tense moments but, for the most part, it ended well for us all and I hope the same will be true for your family.

Latest update: Princess Cruise Ship to Dock in Egypt for Engine Inspection

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3277

I've been to Port Said. I wouldn't want to spend an extra two days there. Then again, if Princess offers overnight tours to Cairo and Giza, that would be a great way to make the most of a bad situation.

One thing I was thinking of is that many passengers take either the Princess or an independent overnight tour in Cairo between Alexandria and Port Said. It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when they're supposed to be reboarding the ship.

It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when they're supposed to be reboarding the ship.

Hi Pam;

I don't follow... What do you mean by this? Are the passengers not still onboard and in their staterooms? "when they're supposed to be reboarding the ship" sounds like they are off the ship now.

Just curious? I'm trying to follow the story and this confused me a little.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Pam;

I don't follow... What do you mean by this? Are the passengers not still onboard and in their staterooms? "when they're supposed to be reboarding the ship" sounds like they are off the ship now.

Just curious? I'm trying to follow the story and this confused me a little.

Thanks in advance.

I think Pam is saying that some passengers got off in Port Said for an overnight tour to Cairo & Giza. They would rejoin the ship tomorow in Alexandria. However, the ship will not be there waiting for them.

I would think the ship has a way to contact the ship's excursions doing the overnight tour. The big problem will be those on private tours. I doubt there is any way to contact them.

I think Pam is saying that some passengers got off in Port Said for an overnight tour to Cairo & Giza. They would rejoin the ship tomorow in Alexandria. However, the ship will not be there waiting for them.

I would think the ship has a way to contact the ship's excursions doing the overnight tour. The big problem will be those on private tours. I doubt there is any way to contact them.

Thanks, Paul! Yes, that's what I meant. The update is that the ship is returning to Port Said tomorrow. Princess is flying technicians to the ship right now to evaluate the damage and determine if the ship can continue the cruise. No matter what, passengers on independent tours expecting to re-board the ship in Alexandria will have an adventure. Unless, of course, they let Princess know where they were staying and were contacted there. I can't remember if Princess requires independent passengers staying overnight in Cairo to provide their itinerary but in retrospect, I'm pretty sure they do.

One thing I was thinking of is that many passengers take either the Princess or an independent overnight tour in Cairo between Alexandria and Port Said. It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when they're supposed to be reboarding the ship.

I may be wrong but I read somewhere recently that when you leave the ship on a private overnight you must register that information at the Pursers desk. That's logical because you need to have your passport returned to you if the ship is holding it and since you won't be reboarding the same day they need to know why and where you are so they aren't looking for you when they sail.

I may be wrong but I read somewhere recently that when you leave the ship on a private overnight you must register that information at the Pursers desk. That's logical because you need to have your passport returned to you if the ship is holding it and since you won't be reboarding the same day they need to know why and where you are so they aren't looking for you when they sail.
You're right. Brain fart on that one. :) Hopefully, all those who crab about having to supply their information will be silenced. :)

Thanks, Paul! Yes, that's what I meant. The update is that the ship is returning to Port Said tomorrow. Princess is flying technicians to the ship right now to evaluate the damage and determine if the ship can continue the cruise. No matter what, passengers on independent tours expecting to re-board the ship in Alexandria will have an adventure. Unless, of course, they let Princess know where they were staying and were contacted there. I can't remember if Princess requires independent passengers staying overnight in Cairo to provide their itinerary but in retrospect, I'm pretty sure they do.

Pam, we had to supply Princess with a list of the hotels our private overnite group was staying at (as there was more than one hotel), and our itineary for the two day trip. I agree though, can you only imagine the chaos with those passengers that will be returning to Alexandria will feel when they find out what is going on? :( I know all of our tour guides had cell phones and I think the one that got our private tour together supplied the cell phone number also.

Hopefully the damage isn't extensive. This is such a shame. Just glad no one was injured or worse.

Apologies for jumping in here without reading all posts but today's been a bad news bonanza re cruise and our heads are spinning.

Re Royal Princess -- this does not sound good. I think if you're planning to board the ship for the next cruise you should keep in touch with your travel agent (or of course check out our news coverage, we'll follow it through). Here's the latest update: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3277.

If you're onboard and want to share, please post here -- or drop a note to editor@cruisecritic.com.

Very glad that all are safe and sound --

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Pam, we had to supply Princess with a list of the hotels our private overnite group was staying at (as there was more than one hotel), and our itineary for the two day trip. I agree though, can you only imagine the chaos with those passengers that will be returning to Alexandria will feel when they find out what is going on? :( I know all of our tour guides had cell phones and I think the one that got our private tour together supplied the cell phone number also.

Hopefully the damage isn't extensive. This is such a shame. Just glad no one was injured or worse.

Just throwing out a thought here: if the Royal Princess can't continue, my guess is that Princess would put all passengers up at hotels in Cairo until they can get flights for them. I hope it won't be necessary but it sounds serious enough to be possible.

Just read an update on the Royal Princess. They don't know if the ship can make it to Port Said on its own or will have to be towed. Sounds very serious. Cruise News Daily has a photo of the passengers when they were at muster. http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/

I have been thinking about the Star Princess fire all day! Thinking that in the worst possible circs -- way off shore, windy, middle of the night -- Princess handled it. I'm sure it was scary but the way the line handled the emergency gave me comfort. I hope it wasn't too awful to have been on board.

I was on a Princess cruise last year and thought the safety drill was almost anal -- but am glad that the company takes it all so seriously.

Carolyn

These kinds of posts always give me a shiver. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

All I can say is that, in our experience, the on-board staff and crew are incredibly well trained at handling such emergencies, and we are confident your family will be safe.

We were on the Star Princess in March 2006 when she caught fire at about 3:00 a.m. We were in our muster stations for 7 1/2 hours. It was not "fun", but it kept us safe and we always felt confident that the captain and crew knew exactly how to handle the situation. There were some tense moments but, for the most part, it ended well for us all and I hope the same will be true for your family.

It sounds serious to me too, Pam. And I'm thinking if there's a generator issue, cabins could be kind of stuffy....?

Carolyn

Just throwing out a thought here: if the Royal Princess can't continue, my guess is that Princess would put all passengers up at hotels in Cairo until they can get flights for them. I hope it won't be necessary but it sounds serious enough to be possible.

That is exactly what I just told my DH when telling him about what happened to the Royal. It wasn't that long ago we did that cruise, and overnite to Cairo, and putting myself in those passengers places makes me shudder. All their things are onboard the ship, and they would have to find a way to get them all packed up, and fly them home, if this is as serious as it sounds. And all those onboard when this took place, pretty scarey stuff. :(

I feel terrible for all those looking forward to a fantastic cruise. But again, thankfully nobody was injured or worse, it could have been a lot worse than just a damaged ship. Thankfully, ships can be repaired. But I still feel bad for those that could be stranded. Well, not stranded, as I know Princess will make sure they all get home safely, if they need to. Still hoping it isn't as bad as we think. ;)

I have been thinking about the Star Princess fire all day! Thinking that in the worst possible circs -- way off shore, windy, middle of the night -- Princess handled it. I'm sure it was scary but the way the line handled the emergency gave me comfort. I hope it wasn't too awful to have been on board.

I was on a Princess cruise last year and thought the safety drill was almost anal -- but am glad that the company takes it all so seriously.

Carolyn

Personally, if there's one area I'd like them to be anal, it's the safety drill! Just curious: what cruise line did you compare it to? I.e., who should we avoid for not taking safety quite so seriously?!

It sounds serious to me too, Pam. And I'm thinking if there's a generator issue, cabins could be kind of stuffy....?

Carolyn

The Cruise News Daily article Pam linked to did indeed mention that the a/c did not operate on generator power. It's going to be a long, stuffy, hot night in an inside or oceanview cabin.

If there's one thing Princess takes very seriously, it's the threat of fire at sea.

I've been reading this thread all day and I think it is terrific that Carolyn and Erica have been so wonderful with updates. CC rocks! I have learned so much about ships and ports and cruising from the threads but I now have a different level of respect. Thanks so much!!!! Donna

I don't know many of the details of the incident that aren't already public, but I can also tell you that in addition to the techs rushing to the ship, a number of volunteer employees who serve in other capacities (accountants, auditors, HR staff, IT folk) were being chartered to Egypt as of 1pm today.

One gent in my department went home, and came back two hours later with travel bag and passport, ready to go. They go through a course to prepare for incidents like this... first time I've seen a deployment.

Basically, they'll be working to aid passengers in every way possible. most likely in making air arrangements if that becomes needed.

It will impossible to make everyone happy (understandably), but Princess is going to bust their hump the next few days to do what is right.

Archived