Is it true--RCCL to cut drink prices!!!

Are you drunk? :p

Me drunk!!---never-- just slightly squiffy:).

Checked this morning with my sister that I was'nt dreaming about that e-mail---nope it says drink prices to be lowered.

I read a few weeks ago that they might lower the drink prices on IOTS out of Southampton,but cannot understand why this ship only.If they do it for one ship they should do it for all!.

If the drinks on board remain at the inflated prices that they are at the moment,I know that my party will have a much lower bar bill than is usual.

Regards

Taffygirl (sober):)

I ordered a Vodka Red Bull on the Sovereign a few months ago and it was 12.00if I remember correctly. Not to mention a 16oz Bud is 5.95, thats excessive.

They were OUT OF Bud or Bud Light on our cruise until the final 2 days. I had never heard of that before.

Karen

I ordered a Vodka Red Bull on the Sovereign a few months ago and it was 12.00if I remember correctly. Not to mention a 16oz Bud is 5.95, thats excessive.

Geez, certainly sounds expensive. We're on the Indy on 4th July so will report back on this thread with a list of prices when we get back

We were on Serenade of the Seas in February 2009. I just looked at my Guest Folio and every time my husband ordered drinks for us (him getting a top shelf Margarita on the rocks and me getting a frozen drink like Love Connection or Mango Tango...) we were always charged $14.38 for the two drinks including the 15% tip. Seems very reasonable to me. We always add a $2.00 tip on top of that for the great and friendly bar service we receive.

HI all,

`my sister has just telephoned me to say she has recieved an e-mail (earlier on this evening) from the TA we booked our Splendour cruise with.The e-mail says that due to complaints from pax on the IOTS-RCCL will be lowering the price of the drinks on this ship as from the 23rd of June.The new prices will be rolled out fleetwide as from this date.

Anyone else heard this news.

Taffygirl

I wonder if it will just be ships on the Med.:confused:

Recently RCCL took the drink prices on the Indy, lowered them by 15% then added in the 15% Gratuity...therefore built into the price and cannot be removed as some Brits wanted to do. So you dont see separate line with the 15% Gratuity mentioned on the bar slip.

RCI, Expiriment with one 7 night ship, try a 2 for 1 during happy hour...4 - 7 and see if you make more money then before. I have a feeling you will, that is why bars do them everyday. We are lucky to be D+ so when I go to the CL, Vodka Martinis for me for 3.5 hours. That takes care of me all night, OK maybe one more during the night but I sip it because it is a $10.00 drink. :eek:

MIke

The idea of Happy Hour is to draw people in to your restaurant/bar, have a drink maybe eat some food, not to make money. People are already on the ship, there is no need to try to draw them.

Princess just raised all their prices and are at the same as RCI. Difference is, Princess uses a shot glass, RCI has the free pour... this benefits the drinker.

Cruise alcohol is very reasonable compared to land based prices and significantly less than resort prices.

I've always found the drink prices to be reasonable on RCI. Now the lower-priced wines are another story!

I do too. And yeah, the wine prices; definitely feel like they're bending us over there, but whatever. It's one week; I buy my wine package and we have a great time regardless.

they were 10$ per drink last year, to say the least we cut WAYYYYYY back

I don't know what ship you were on and/or what you were drinking but we have never seen $10 drinks --unless it was in one of the very special glasses (which is optional).

I just returned from the Serenade and I've been on the Monarch 5 times this year and never paid $10 for a drink...they do, however, add tax to the drink before sailaway while they are still in port...but once at sea they don't. Maybe that's what people are seeing. I mentioned to a friend that I thought the prices had gone down. I've paid around $6.20 for drinks (Goose and Cranberry, Mango Lava Flow and White Martini)--I always add a tip as well [on top of the 15%]. And as someone mentioned they are about the same price as you pay on land for drinks. I think the beer on the ships may be a bit higher but I'm not a beer drinker.

I don't know what ship you were on and/or what you were drinking but we have never seen $10 drinks --unless it was in one of the very special glasses (which is optional).

No special glasses, I actually just came across the final bill the other day and it was $9.80 each as we both drink the same thing there were quite a few. LOL:D

Now I know why I don't drink:)

That doesn't matter. There are very few of us who do not have some type of vice, passion or craving that RCI hasn't found a way to make a profit on. Not that I'm complaining, it's still the best vacation option going for my taste.

We are platinum 8 cruises with RCi and tried MSc orchestra in the Caribbean and thought they were much more reasonable for everything extra on board. Their drink prices were 5.95 which included the tip and tax and they were much bigger than on RCI. Their excursions were just 5 more than our private ones.... they were so reasonable. We loved that cruise so much we booked for a 10 night on Poesia in Nov!

I think RCI is pushing and pushing with the extra charges they are getting and giving back less and less! After one cruise on MSC you get 10 garments dry cleaned for free. After 21 credits, which is equal to 21 cruise nights, ( that is 3 7 night cruises....) you move to another level which gives you % off excursions, cruise fare, and one free dinner at the specialty restaurant, in addition to other things.

In this economy I find no reason to continue to sail only with RCI to get to the next level.... they just keep cutting back. I have to say thanks though to them, because without the cutbacks we would not have tried another cruise line. MSC was our favorite cruise so far, done 14, even on X. The MSC ORchestra was the most beautiful cruise ship we ever saw, and the shows were the best we have ever experienced.

RCI is missing the mark with giving less back to the passengers in way of nickel and diming..... and the passengers are trying other lines because of it.

We cruised on the MSC Lirica in April out of Fort Lauderdale. Not only were the drinks $5.95,

you could get a carafe of house wine at dinner for $7.00 ! 2 glasses each for me & hubby.

I don't agree that the drink prices are any bargain but its vacation. You save money all year to pay for a cruise so why not put some aside for drinking or whichever you wish to do on the ship. I enjoy the flowrider so I make sure I put money aside before my vacation so I can rent that for a hour. I also enjoy some beers on my cruise so I save for that also. I would not go on a cruise if i'm gonna boycott the bar prices.

Live a little

So if I have got this right you should add a tip on top of the 15% already added and don't worry how much they charge for a drink because you are on holiday ?

Our cousins across the water love to pay over the top and tip on top of tips.

Wow !

OK Guys , lets be honest ... we all know that R.C.C.L. are at the top of the scale when it comes to charging for drinks . We go with them because they have beautiful ships and their organisation is second to none . They have made various excuses ref the drink prices if you sail from the UK , but it all comes down to a pint of beer costing us around £5.00 .

Just a note to anyone who is not aware , P+O charge under £ 3.00 for a pint , and probably the best afloat is Fred Olsen ... I have just come off Boudicca , where a pint of beer was £ 2.10p ! Not only that... On saturday they showed the practice for the British grand prix at which they had a beer promotion . During this afternoon I was drinking a pint for £ 1.65p .

Beat that Royal Caribbean .

Having said all of the above , I am a major fan of R.C.C.L. and have already booked my 2010 cruise with them , but will also be booking with Fred Olsen again as my bar bill was amazing .

Happy sailing folks ... ;)

They were OUT OF Bud or Bud Light on our cruise until the final 2 days. I had never heard of that before.

Karen

Even worse is when you order Bud or Bud light, the BORN date was like 8 to 10 months ago, I have seen that on these ships. Beer should be born no more then 2-3 months before drinking.

Happy checking the fresh dates! :)

Mike

Even worse is when you order Bud or Bud light, the BORN date was like 8 to 10 months ago, I have seen that on these ships. Beer should be born no more then 2-3 months before drinking.

Happy checking the fresh dates! :)

Mike

Mike.....

Do you happen to remember what the prices are for beer & do they have a bucket special?

Thanks

OceanDreams

I already figured in the fact that drink prices would be more due to the fact that I'm on vacation and etc. and I've taken that into account when putting away spending money for the cruise. We have not been on RCCL, however we are ready to enjoy ourselves and splurge. If drink prices are 10$ then I guess that's what we will be paying. :) When we go to restaurants here, dh pays about 8$ for a beer. When we went to Hawaii a few years ago, I remember drink prices being high too, but we were expecting it and prepared. Yes it certainly would be a perk to only have to pay 5 or 6$ while on the cruise though, so if they do lower the prices I wouldn't be complaining then either! :)

Don't say that to her. She'll call you rude, LOL

What in the world were you drinking.

Even on RCL, I have never purchased a $10 drink.

Vodka Gimlets were that much last year on the Jewel, what is your problem, every post I make you are rude and nasty in your reply!

Archived