Carry-on only...

sprite

...can it be done??

Just booked a 4-night out of Tampa which will be our shortest cruise to date. Can we get everything in our carry-ons? We'll each have a wheeled suitcase and a backpack (one for camera and one for laptop). And we're going to skip packing for formal night so there's some extra room there. I haven't started my packing list yet but I'm just wondering about the experience of some of my fellow cruisers.

Thanks!

Just make sure the luggage you use will fit through the x-ray machine. If the bags are too large you will asked to check them with the porters. From Carnival:

guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

Worked for me last cruise. One wheeled bag and small duffel. Still had clothes left over after 5 days. I've got my packing list pared down to essentials. If one tries to use some of the packing list you see here you would need a couple of steamer trunks.

Sounds like a fun way to cruise to me! If you're not doing formal nights it shouldn't be a problem. It's the evening wear that takes up space. We haven't tried just a carry-on, but I'm a shoe fanatic, and after 12 cruises, I can get by with 3 pair, which includes the ones I wear on the ship! Makes life a lot easier!

Pam in KY

...can it be done??

Just booked a 4-night out of Tampa which will be our shortest cruise to date. Can we get everything in our carry-ons? We'll each have a wheeled suitcase and a backpack (one for camera and one for laptop). And we're going to skip packing for formal night so there's some extra room there. I haven't started my packing list yet but I'm just wondering about the experience of some of my fellow cruisers.

Thanks!

We did it on a 3day cruise no problem on RCI. We skipped formal night and ate in the buffet.

Would be even easier on CCL since I wouldn't need any long pants.

Bill

Easy to do...did it on a 5 nighther (solo)...1 pair of slacks, 1 skirt, several tops that go with both...even did elegant. (lace top with skirt).

Most of my space is taken up with the JUNK!!!

Gotta have my flavored coffee creamers and books!

Just make sure the luggage you use will fit through the x-ray machine. If the bags are too large you will asked to check them with the porters. From Carnival:

Quote:

guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

Note that a 24X16 is a large size suitcase, so references to "carry-on" may be misleading. Basically, Carnival will not prohibit you from carrying on standard, large sized suitcases. Most people's largest suitcase will fit within the 24X16 limit.

On our last cruise in March, we (family of four) carried on three large-ish suitcases (maybe 20X12), plus a garment bag containing our formal wear, plus a standard carry-on size suitcase as well as one backpack each.

It was great to be in our cabin with our bags at 1:30pm, especially when we saw other bags still being delivered well into the evening.

We're flying in so I'm more concernced with the carry-on reqs for the airlines. I'll try to get everything squeezed in but DH is convinced he won't be able to get a suit in his. Oh well, one checked bag between us won't be too bad.

We're flying in so I'm more concernced with the carry-on reqs for the airlines. I'll try to get everything squeezed in but DH is convinced he won't be able to get a suit in his. Oh well, one checked bag between us won't be too bad.

If you are going on the Inspiration a suit is not required unless you want him to wear one. Dress slacks and a dress shirt are all that"s required.

Bill

I certainly hope so. 6 of us women are going to attempt it in January on the Destiny. 5 of us will be successful and I guess I'll have to go pack for my friend. LOL I told her to plan only outfits she absolutely needs. Not those "maybe I'll wear this , maybe I won't" things.

I have a nice carry-on that has always fit in the overhead of the plane. I'll also be taking a large tote instead of a purse. Plan to carry flip-flops, sandals, toiletries and underwear in the tote.

We are trying to keep this trip minimal . We refuse to pay luggage fees to the airline.

I'm glad I have 11 cruises under my belt. I would die if this were my first. I have learned that no one really cares what you are wearing but you. Bring eye-catching jewelry and no one will notice that you are wearing the same black top. If its possible wear your hair up one day and down the next. That also changes the look.

Good luck.............."You can Do It"

If you are going on the Inspiration a suit is not required unless you want him to wear one. Dress slacks and a dress shirt are all that"s required.

Bill

Is this new? Is there no "formal" night on this short cruise?

Is this new? Is there no "formal" night on this short cruise?

It's been around for about a year or so I guess. They renamed the formal night to elegant nights.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Yes there is one Elegant night on a 3 day cruise.

Bill

DH & I do it all the time even on 7 day cruises. Our 3 night cruise we each had a carry on roll away (about as large as they permit for carryon) plus another smaller one that fit on top of the roll away. Worked great. The 7 day was a little trickier as we each had the 2 carryons stuffed to the gils plus the camera bag, the cosmetic case, an over the shoulder bag plus one extra rollaway with our non-clothing essentials like ext cords, nite lights, wine etc. We managed okay. I just don't trust the porters to get my bags to my room safely. I've heard too many horror stories about people not having luggage for their cruise. That ain't gonna happen even if it is a little uncomfy for me in the beginning.

I would say to try not to skip elegant night. Find room somehow to squeeze in one outfit. Food on lido doesn't compare to the lobster night. In fact, lido on elegant night is sometimes not edible in my opinion. I ended up eating a grilled rueben sandwich while others were eating lobster.:rolleyes: I'll find a way to pack a tie for DH and lightweight dress for me. To each their own I guess.

Archived