Are the seas calm NY to Canada?

Sohker

We are taking the 5 day Triumph cruise to Canada mid August 2009. Are the seas calm on this type of cruise during that time of year baring a storm?

We have traveled south from NY to Bermuda and sailed from Florida to the Caribbean that time of year with no issues.

We are taking the 5 day Triumph cruise to Canada mid August 2009. Are the seas calm on this type of cruise during that time of year baring a storm?

We have traveled south from NY to Bermuda and sailed from Florida to the Caribbean that time of year with no issues.

I went on a 4 day Triumph cruise this past June. It was my first cruise going from NYC. We usually fly down to FL and I was VERY surprised because I didn't feel any rocking at all!!! It pretty much rained/was foggy the entire cruise too.

A Lloyd Lindsey Young greeting Sohker: I have been to New England and/or Canada more times than any other destination. Love New England/Canada. The North Atlantic can be rough. There will be at the very least some rough patches here and there. You might even lose your balance at some spots. The North Atlantic is different from the South Atlantic.

Certainly safer than the highways!

We've done this run three times. Never felt any different than the Caribbean. That time of year is pretty calm anyway.

But that can alway change, as you mention, if something is "coming through".

We are taking the 5 day Triumph cruise to Canada mid August 2009.

Are the seas calm on this type of cruise during that time of year baring a storm?

We have traveled south from NY to Bermuda

and sailed from Florida to the Caribbean that time of year with no issues.

When you're just a few days out from your cruise

you'll remember that you put this webpage in your Favorites (Bookmark for Ffx users)

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html?map=wave&animate=1#map

it shows predicted wave heights about 3-4 days in advance of current time.

Takes about 20 secs for the whole 'loop' to load

so give it some time, and then sit back and watch the sequence

while keeping an eye on the date/time thing at top of the graphic.

We did this 5 night itinerary on the Carnival Destiny back in 2000. It ranged from calm as a pond to very rough. We spoke with some of the crewmembers who told us tha the North Atlantic is definitely rougher and more treacherous than the Caribbean. In fact, ships that normally sail in the North Atlantic are built much more strongly to regularly whitstand the sometimes unpredictable weather and seas, unlike warm weather cruise ships which don't have to deal with this type of weather regularly.

Sailing to St. John, we were inside the Bay of Fundy, so the seas were calm. You could see the reflection of the ship on the water (it looked like glass).

This quickly changed the next day, sailing from Halifax back to NYC, the seas were rough (in fact, it's the roughest I've ever experienced on any cruise). I was literally thrown out of bed. My mother in the cabin next door got violently seasick. There were signs on all doors leading outside warning people to stay inside.

The following morning, we woke up to calm seas again as we approached NYC, but we were in a bank of fog that was so thick, you couldn't see more than a couple of feet in front of you. We finally entered the Hudson river only to stop because the currents were so strong, that the ship couldn't dock safely.

We finally docked at 2pm (thankfully our flight wasn't until 5pm, so we didn't miss it!)

As others have written, predicting how smooth the seas are going to be can be tricky. The same goes for Caribbean sailings. I've taken the same exact itinerary one year with very calm seas, and then returned a year or two later (same month) and experienced rough seas.

We have done this cruise 3 times....late July/early August....early July...and mid August....

Each time we had cool weather, smooth sailings.....

Once it was very foggy....

On the last cruise, I was sitting on the balcony, reading a book....I noticed on the horizon behind us, the sky and water looked black....then I saw black clouds racing towards us and what appeared to be rain....someone in another balcony said, "Here it comes"........I sat there thinking I would watch a rain storm...it was hail.......

It hailed so hard I had to run back into the room.....as quickly as it started, it passed.....they announced they had to close the Lido deck because the hail broke lanterns and there was broken glass on the deck...I found chips broken off the balcony railing.......

It was cool.....

:cool:

I just sailed the Triumph 6/25-6/29 and I would say the seas were calm. I did not know what to expect in the Atlantic. We had fog that was very thick. At one point you couldn't see out of the balcony. I did feel the ship rocking but I never saw what I consider large waves. We were in the aft of the ship.

Janice

On the last cruise, I was sitting on the balcony, reading a book....I noticed on the horizon behind us, the sky and water looked black....then I saw black clouds racing towards us and what appeared to be rain....someone in another balcony said, "Here it comes"........I sat there thinking I would watch a rain storm...it was hail.......

It hailed so hard I had to run back into the room.....as quickly as it started, it passed.....they announced they had to close the Lido deck because the hail broke lanterns and there was broken glass on the deck...I found chips broken off the balcony railing.......

It was cool.....

:cool:

What really amazed me was that even with the storm, the ship didn't have a lot of motion. However, we could have filled up our ice bucket with the hail on our balcony.:eek:

Fog can be expected up around Halifax and St. John.

Seas around Halifax can be rough but for most of the trip it should be smooth sailing. It is the North Atlantic as the crew will constantly remind you!

MARAPRINCE

Archived