Watch Your Credit Card

Our family went on the Freedom of the Seas in May. I saved our itemized statement to match it to our credit card. When I got my credit card bill, the amount had increased by 48.25 over what my itemized statement said. I called customer relations and they said there were 2 extra added charges of $25 and $23.25 for the mini bar for our 2 rooms. I explained that I took soft drinks with me on the ship and asked the stateroom attendant to remove them. He did remove them but apparently I was still charged. As a courtesy, they said they will be give me a $48.25 credit. Be sure to check your charges!

Our family went on the Freedom of the Seas in May. I saved our itemized statement to match it to our credit card. When I got my credit card bill, the amount had increased by 48.25 over what my itemized statement said. I called customer relations and they said there were 2 extra added charges of $25 and $23.25 for the mini bar for our 2 rooms. I explained that I took soft drinks with me on the ship and asked the stateroom attendant to remove them. He did remove them but apparently I was still charged. As a courtesy, they said they will be give me a $48.25 credit. Be sure to check your charges!
I do every day.

This has happened to us many times. Usually by the time we notice it, it's too late. They add it in on the morning we disembark, and we do Express walk off. We too have the fridge emptied immediately when we board.

Now they started ripping me off for the internet! I use my Diamond $10.00 coupon towards my internet charges, they never take it off! I go to the pursor's desk, explaining the problem, and they assure me it was corrected and taken off.

When I get home, sometimes the charge will be taken off my credit card, then in a few days it appears again!

Over the years I have been ripped off for over $300.00 frm RC. I too monitor my account daily from the TV. Not much you can do if they claim they corrected it and they didn't!

Glad to hear you got a credit for the overcharge. If it happens to me again, I will try that avenue!Just off the Adventure in June (B2B), 1st week I went on the morning of turnaround day and made sure it was corrected, I got the $10.00 x 2 taken off for the internet charges. Second week, I went the morning of disembarkment, they claimed they fixed it, but they didn't!

What a way to make an extra buck!:eek:

The cabin steward or stateroom attendant is NOT the one who checks the mini-bar to see what has been used. A separate person from the bar dept does that and notes what has been used so it gets charged. So when you ask the steward to remove the ship's beverages from the mini-bar, I suggest that you do as we do - leave the ship's cans or bottles on the counter top in full view so they can see they have not been used. We have never had a problem in over 30 cruises and have never used any of the ship's beverages from the mini-bar.:)

Given the stuff is not actually removed from the room by the steward, you would think that the guy from the bar staff would know where to check for it, in the event he gets to the room to do the count before the steward has a chance to put it back in the minifridge.

Recently on the Rhapsody, we asked the stateroom attendant to remove the soft drinks and water. He told us he was not allowed to do so, but we could put them in the cabinet. We put them down below the last day. I will be sure and check our statement for any bar charges.

I wasn't aware that the stewards are not the ones who keep track of the soft drinks and water. Thanks for the heads up.

We had that happen on one cruise only a couple years ago. When I checked the credit card statement there were 3 small RCCL charges that were put on after we left the ship. I called the credit card company and they were just double charges that were already on the RCCL statement and they issued a credit to me right away. It happens, it's always good to check your statement to correct any possible mistakes.

Also watch your drink receipts and tabs very carefully. Every single day!

We were being charged double in the theater for drinks.

I went to the pursers to tell them and have them correct my bill. They said they would make a call and correct it.

Nothing was done 4 days later, the overcharges were still there and it continued to happen to others also. The pursers just kept saying, "everyone makes mistakes" and they got ruder every time I went to them. I was very nice about it and I kept it very low key and quiet. By now I was getting mad. After 5 days of hearing everyone makes mistakes, I tracked down the bar manager of the theater, showed him my receipts and he took care of it himself in about 30 seconds.

He said he had never received a call from the pursers desk.

I bring a zip lock bag and I keep every single receipt in it until I am home.

I have actually been charged for things a day after I have left the ship? With no explanation as to what it is?

This has happened to us many times. Usually by the time we notice it, it's too late. They add it in on the morning we disembark, and we do Express walk off. We too have the fridge emptied immediately when we board.

Now they started ripping me off for the internet! I use my Diamond $10.00 coupon towards my internet charges, they never take it off! I go to the pursor's desk, explaining the problem, and they assure me it was corrected and taken off.

When I get home, sometimes the charge will be taken off my credit card, then in a few days it appears again!

Over the years I have been ripped off for over $300.00 frm RC. I too monitor my account daily from the TV. Not much you can do if they claim they corrected it and they didn't!

Glad to hear you got a credit for the overcharge. If it happens to me again, I will try that avenue!Just off the Adventure in June (B2B), 1st week I went on the morning of turnaround day and made sure it was corrected, I got the $10.00 x 2 taken off for the internet charges. Second week, I went the morning of disembarkment, they claimed they fixed it, but they didn't!

With the internet coupons you have to turn them in before you use.

With the internet coupons you have to turn them in before you use.

I have turned them in before using the internet and sometimes after using the internet. There is no difference, sometimes I get the credit for them, other times I don't. It's a hit or miss!

I am Diamond Plus, so I have used the coupons on more than 15 cruise's. They take the coupon ( after I filled all the info on it) then tell me it was applied!

Most places will quickly refund any "mini-bar" charges, if you tell them they're wrong. It's happened to us in hotels, on the ship...it happens! All you have to do is call, and they correct it. Not a huge deal.

I have turned them in before using the internet and sometimes after using the internet. There is no difference, sometimes I get the credit for them, other times I don't. It's a hit or miss!

I am Diamond Plus, so I have used the coupons on more than 15 cruise's. They take the coupon ( after I filled all the info on it) then tell me it was applied!

I have done both also. Never had a problem if I handed them in before and let them have awhile to apply them. The credit gets applied by the computer as you use the minutes. If you hand them in after, the credit doesn't get applied correctly and you have to get after them to have it done manually.

I have done both also. Never had a problem if I handed them in before and let them have awhile to apply them. The credit gets applied by the computer as you use the minutes. If you hand them in after, the credit doesn't get applied correctly and you have to get after them to have it done manually.

I'm a lowly Diamond member and I always purchase a package plan but every time I have used the internet coupon it has been applied as extra minutes at the rate I have already established, never as the $ amount of the coupon. I turn in the coupon after I purchase a package and have never had a problem getting the extra minutes.

I have been over charged for an additional soda package, but was quickly rectified by the staff.

Other than that it we have not had issue with charging.

I will warn anyone buying liqour at the cozumel port that I had someone charge 6000+ dollars of tennis equipment on my credit card last year.

Bank flagged it as not an ordinary behavior thankfully.

I'm a lowly Diamond member and I always purchase a package plan but every time I have used the internet coupon it has been applied as extra minutes at the rate I have already established, never as the $ amount of the coupon. I turn in the coupon after I purchase a package and have never had a problem getting the extra minutes.

I bought a package on the Liberty and they wouldn't even accept my coupon. I was told you have to use it for the non- package minutes.

I kept the coupon and after we used up the package minutes, I went on the internet to use up the $10.00 at the 55 cent minute rate!

I also tried to use saved coupons from the old Diamond books ( received in 2009 from cruising), on my June 09 Adventure cruise, and was told they will not accept any of the older coupons anymore!

I kept the coupons and will try on the Jewel in Oct. 09.

Sorry to higjack the thread to the old coupon subject, just another way for RC to save $$$.

I have never had an issues with being charged, but we check and DOUBLE check everything. It helps to be able to see your charges on your room tv. We check the bill at the end of the cruise, and we also watch when the cc statement comes. We have the RCCL Visa, so we enjoy those double points.

I bought a package on the Liberty and they wouldn't even accept my coupon. I was told you have to use it for the non- package minutes.

I kept the coupon and after we used up the package minutes, I went on the internet to use up the $10.00 at the 55 cent minute rate!

I also tried to use saved coupons from the old Diamond books ( received in 2009 from cruising), on my June 09 Adventure cruise, and was told they will not accept any of the older coupons anymore!

Sorry to higjack the thread to the old coupon subject, just another way for RC to save $$$.

I apply the 2 coupons FIRST, use up the minutes at the standard rate (now 55cents p/m). When my time is gone, I then purchase extra minutes at the plan rate. Always has worked fine doing it this way. Also, I have asked for, and received a credit on those times the internet is very slow or doesn't work at all if I was charged for the time.

watch out for the DR bar waiter too.. on the LOS the last night after

our OB account was already closed out, he still was able to charge

2 after dinner shots to our account. We told him NO, we did not

want the shots, but he insisted and said they were "on me", ya

right. On our acct, even though we did not even want them. so they

kept paging us the last day to settle our acct..turns out it was the shots

we were billed. My husband paid it and said nothing. If it was me,

I would have acted differently.

Also watch your drink receipts and tabs very carefully. Every single day!

We were being charged double in the theater for drinks.

I went to the pursers to tell them and have them correct my bill. They said they would make a call and correct it.

Nothing was done 4 days later, the overcharges were still there and it continued to happen to others also. The pursers just kept saying, "everyone makes mistakes" and they got ruder every time I went to them. I was very nice about it and I kept it very low key and quiet. By now I was getting mad. After 5 days of hearing everyone makes mistakes, I tracked down the bar manager of the theater, showed him my receipts and he took care of it himself in about 30 seconds.

He said he had never received a call from the pursers desk.

I bring a zip lock bag and I keep every single receipt in it until I am home.

I have actually been charged for things a day after I have left the ship? With no explanation as to what it is?

Atta girl!!! What I've been saying for years: go to the person in charge of that particular service.

We emptied our mini-fridge on the Majesty, put the stuff in the cabinets, used the fridge for the Diet Cokes we brought on board, and then loaded the fridge back up with the original stuff our last night on the cruise.

About the internet coupons: they are a little tricky. You may already know this, but the coupon goes with the individual's Seapass account, AND you have to start using the internet first before the coupon will kick in. So, Mary uses the internet and then takes her coupon. After she uses it up, she uses John's card and then goes and turns in John's coupon. Also, if there is a problem with the internet credits, talk to the manager in the main internet cafe. There is usually someone there during the day.

There is really nothing Hit or miss or even rip off about the Internet coupons. It clearly states they are valid on the cruise given only ( I know they have accepted old coupons in the past, but they are in their full right to not do so).

It´s also clearly written on the coupons that they have to be turned in before using the Internet and they can not be used towards a package. From your posts it sounds to me that you simply used the coupons the wrong way.

Once the coupon has been applied it will tell you so when logging in to the Internet, so no surprises, you will see it when you surf on that free minutes.

The best deal is to buy a package first and then turn in the coupon to guest relation. Upon your next log in you will see the amount of coupon credit applied AND the remaining credit from the package. The coupon credit will go first and once it´s used up the package credit gets used.

When there is an active package account the coupons will be used at the lower package per minute rate;)

Most places will quickly refund any "mini-bar" charges, if you tell them they're wrong. It's happened to us in hotels, on the ship...it happens! All you have to do is call, and they correct it. Not a huge deal.

What is not a huge deal to you may be quite annoying to someone else.

The cabin steward or stateroom attendant is NOT the one who checks the mini-bar to see what has been used. A separate person from the bar dept does that and notes what has been used so it gets charged. So when you ask the steward to remove the ship's beverages from the mini-bar, I suggest that you do as we do - leave the ship's cans or bottles on the counter top in full view so they can see they have not been used. We have never had a problem in over 30 cruises and have never used any of the ship's beverages from the mini-bar.:)

I'm not sure if that is true or not. One one cruise a charge slip was left in my parents cabin for something that they did not use. I talked to the cabin attendent about it and he got it taken care of.

Either way, I had no idea that there was someone else besides the cabin attendent going in and out of our cabin. I wonder how many more crew members are touring the cabin that I don't know about.:confused:

I do every day.

Good to see your name pop up on this thread and I must tell you I am very impressed (a little jealous ;)) of all the cruises in your sigtag! You guys must just get home, do the laundry, and off again! Good for You!

On one of our cruises on Adventure I noticed that they were charging tax on drinks in Studio B while the ship was out at sea. I went to the customer service dest to inquire about this. I was told that they were supposed to charge tax. So I then asked why that venue was the only place on the ship where I was being charged tax and I also asked just, exactly, what government it was that RCI was turning this "tax" money over to. The woman just looked at me like I had two heads. I was not in the mood to push the issue any further.

But again, what a way to make an extra buck.

The one thing to remember is if you go to the merchant and attempt to get a charge removed and they do not handle it, call your credit card company and ask them to do a "chargeback" on the amount in question. Your credit card company will credit you the amount immediately. All credit card companies will do this no questions asked. It is then the responsibility of the merchant to prove you made the charge or they lose the money.

Bottom line is that the credit card companies customer (you) is always right unless the merchant can prove it, and if you did not make the charge they will not be able to and will not even attempt to.

Archived