Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Thats good to know since I'll probably be spending my precruise night there since I'm at the LaQuinta and don't have a car. :D

Hi, there. That LaQuinta has been our go-to hotel for the past 6 cruises. If this is info you already have, ignore it please:

We originally selected it because it has free pick up (until 1:00 AM) from the airport and free drop off to Port Ev. (make sure you book this in advance the night before). They have a decent free breakfast (it's ok enough to fill you up before the cruise) and the pool area is right next to a lake. It's tucked a little bit away from the Oakwood Plaza, so very quiet. About a 5-10 min walk to a cinema, Sweet Tomatoes restaurant, TGIF, a fairly cheap (although very nice) nail salon for pre-cruise pedicures, Quizno's, Red Lobster. About a 15 min walk from the hotel, you'll find a K-Mart, Ross, Marshall's (these last two are where we pick up our dining room attire - so cheap for someone who lives about 3,000 km from the nearest Ross!), Dollar store, a diner, an alehouse/pub, etc. Sorry if that was too much info! This hotel/location has never failed our needs. If I were staying longer, I might want something in a fancier area, but for a night or two and convenience sake, I don't think it can be beat.

On the other hand, if someone out there knows of something that will fit my needs and is even better, please do pass along the info.

Question...now is... have my car rental and want to go to a beach and do family pictures. I have a tripod and wireless remote to do them. So didn't know what beach is best and how far I will have to go? thanks going out of FLL thanks.

Exit the port by Eisenhower Blvd, turn right on SE 17th St and drive until you see public parking. If the first lot is full go past it and you'll come to another lot on the corner of Las Olas Blvd. If that is full, there is a lot on Las Olas Blvd before the intracoastal bridge, and there are lots of other lots in the area where you pay a flat fee for the day.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello there!

My husband & I are thinking about flying into FLL in March 2013 for the monsters of rock cruise.

We are going to be looking for a hotel room for one night (Fri into Sat) but we don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions? We would also need a shuttle to the dock.

When we leave the ship we are planning a 2:00 PM flight back from FLL to Pa. so I guess we will need some kind of a ride, how would this work? Do they have shuttles or would we need to find a cab & if that's what we need to do..... is it hard to get a cab after we leave the ship?

Not too many hotels have free port shuttles anymore. I think the airport Hamptons and LaQuinta do. Do a search for 3 star FLL airport area hotels and check the amenities on the websites. If you stay right by the port area (17th St), a taxi is only about $10. This is a nicer area to stay in anyway. Just take a taxi to the airport for about $15.

Edited by royalcruz

A friend of mine will be coming in to Fort L three days before our Christmas cruise out of Port Everlades, before the rest of us get there. She's staying close to Oakwood Plaza and is hoping to get some advice about making her way to South beach, particularly to do a food tour. She would prefer not to rent a car (too much stress driving and navigating she says). Any and all suggestions for transportation/entertainment/foodie type outings, etc would be greatly appreciated. She would even consider another hotel if anyone could suggest one in a better area of fort L that might meet her needs for the 4 nights she will be there.

Thank you so much on behalf of Suzanne!

Fort Lauderdale is about 45 minutes from South Beach. Check out www.thesobeshuttles.com. A taxi or limo would be expensive. Oakwood Plaza would not be a good place for a foodie to stay for more than one night (it's all inexpensive chain restaurants there) without a car; the good thing is that the hotels by there all have free parking. Riverside Hotel downtown would be best for exploring and dining without a car.

Hi, there. That LaQuinta has been our go-to hotel for the past 6 cruises. If this is info you already have, ignore it please:

We originally selected it because it has free pick up (until 1:00 AM) from the airport and free drop off to Port Ev. (make sure you book this in advance the night before). They have a decent free breakfast (it's ok enough to fill you up before the cruise) and the pool area is right next to a lake. It's tucked a little bit away from the Oakwood Plaza, so very quiet. About a 5-10 min walk to a cinema, Sweet Tomatoes restaurant, TGIF, a fairly cheap (although very nice) nail salon for pre-cruise pedicures, Quizno's, Red Lobster. About a 15 min walk from the hotel, you'll find a K-Mart, Ross, Marshall's (these last two are where we pick up our dining room attire - so cheap for someone who lives about 3,000 km from the nearest Ross!), Dollar store, a diner, an alehouse/pub, etc. Sorry if that was too much info! This hotel/location has never failed our needs. If I were staying longer, I might want something in a fancier area, but for a night or two and convenience sake, I don't think it can be beat.

On the other hand, if someone out there knows of something that will fit my needs and is even better, please do pass along the info.

IMO the LaQuinta is probably the best/cleanest/safest hotel that you are going to find that offers all that it does for the price in a neighborhood that has things to do.

We will be in Ft Lauderdale for a 5 hour layover on a Monday next April with our 2-year old. What's the best way for us to spend our time? We fly in at noon. We need to get our luggage from our Jetblue flight, and our Southwest flight leaves at 5pm. Thanks for your help!

Sorry to be a wet blanket but . . .

You will be leaving the plane, going to baggage claim, getting your luggage - in my experience it takes at least 30 minutes - going up to Southwest, checking your luggage in there except for your carry-on - say at least 15 minutes more. So now you're looking at having 4:15.

Then you'll need to be at the airport at 4 PM, at the latest, so we're now talking 3 hours, 15 minutes at best.

Now let's say it takes 20 minutes to get to the beach (I really don't know how long it takes, but I can't imagine it would take less than 20 minutes to get in the cab & get to the beach). That's now slightly less than 3 hours. Another 20 minutes to get back. Now we're talking 2 1/2 hours at the best.

Do you really want to go through all that for 2 1/2 hours at the beach, not even counting the time spent wrestling with a 2 year old?

I'd just let the kid run around the airport for a while!

Sorry to be a wet blanket but . . .

You will be leaving the plane, going to baggage claim, getting your luggage - in my experience it takes at least 30 minutes - going up to Southwest, checking your luggage in there except for your carry-on - say at least 15 minutes more. So now you're looking at having 4:15.

Then you'll need to be at the airport at 4 PM, at the latest, so we're now talking 3 hours, 15 minutes at best.

Now let's say it takes 20 minutes to get to the beach (I really don't know how long it takes, but I can't imagine it would take less than 20 minutes to get in the cab & get to the beach). That's now slightly less than 3 hours. Another 20 minutes to get back. Now we're talking 2 1/2 hours at the best.

Do you really want to go through all that for 2 1/2 hours at the beach, not even counting the time spent wrestling with a 2 year old?

I'd just let the kid run around the airport for a while!

We've considered that too. I think it will all depend on our energy level when we fly in from SJU. It'll be one of those last minute decisions.

Love to keep hearing how good this hotel is and what there is to do. I'd really love to bring my family to Hollywood Beach so hoping to get there for a few hours once we arrive but if not, we'll just keep busy at the Plaza and sitting by the pool.

I'm only there for one night. If it was more, I'd definately be on the beach :D

Thank you for the info

Had read a little of this hotel before booking. Got a priceline cost of $100 for 1/11/12 -- had been trying to get a decent place around that price for over a month in the port area but that time of year low prices even from priceline aren't easy to get. We were very pleased to get the Riverside as we've never stayed in that area before a cruise.

Question: What is the taxi cost to the cruise terminal?

I saw that a taxi costs about $20 from airport but couldn't find this info. Thanks for your help.

Had read a little of this hotel before booking. Got a priceline cost of $100 for 1/11/12 -- had been trying to get a decent place around that price for over a month in the port area but that time of year low prices even from priceline aren't easy to get. We were very pleased to get the Riverside as we've never stayed in that area before a cruise.

Question: What is the taxi cost to the cruise terminal?

I saw that a taxi costs about $20 from airport but couldn't find this info. Thanks for your help.

Cost to cruise terminal should be about $20 or less.

Anybody stay at the Fairfield Inn, 2081 Griffin Rd? We have this hotel after our cruise for the night.

Is there anything around this hotel?

Cost of taxi from port to hotel?

How would get from this hotel to the beach?

Hello I am sorry if this has been asked already but I am lazy and don't really have the time to read through all 161 pages :) Is there a grocery store or convenient store near the Fort Lauderdale airport? Going on a cruise out of fort lauderdale and want to bring soda on but not packing it in my suitcase. Going to take a taxi from airport to port.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Vacationoholic

If your ship is in the midport section of the port (Terminals 18-29) there's nothing that's on the way from the airport as the route between the two is essentially one long exit ramp. If you're going to the Northport part of the port (Terminals 1-4) there's a Publix in the Harbour Shops off SE 17th St. That supermarket is about 3.25 miles out of the way if you're going to midport.

If your ship is in the midport section of the port (Terminals 18-29) there's nothing that's on the way from the airport as the route between the two is essentially one long exit ramp. If you're going to the Northport part of the port (Terminals 1-4) there's a Publix in the Harbour Shops off SE 17th St. That supermarket is about 3.25 miles out of the way if you're going to midport.

Thank you ahecht, I have no idea which terminal.

Edited by Vacationoholic

Hello I am sorry if this has been asked already but I am lazy and don't really have the time to read through all 161 pages :) Is there a grocery store or convenient store near the Fort Lauderdale airport? Going on a cruise out of fort lauderdale and want to bring soda on but not packing it in my suitcase. Going to take a taxi from airport to port.

Thanks in advance

Just tell the cab driver what you want -- he will likely take you to the Publix market mentioned above. Shop fast as the meter will be running! :rolleyes:

Fort Lauderdale is about 45 minutes from South Beach. Check out www.thesobeshuttles.com. A taxi or limo would be expensive. Oakwood Plaza would not be a good place for a foodie to stay for more than one night (it's all inexpensive chain restaurants there) without a car; the good thing is that the hotels by there all have free parking. Riverside Hotel downtown would be best for exploring and dining without a car.

Thank you! I did look up the sobeshuttle, but they only seem to have evening/late night pick up from Fort L (unless I read it wrong). She would want to make a day of it in South Beach and get back to hotel by late evening. Any other suggestions for transportation? I assume public transportation is not an option? She hasn't traveled much and is a self-admitted scaredy-cat!

Thanks!

Is this the LaQuinta at 2620 North 26th Ave in Hollywood?

Anybody stay at the Fairfield Inn, 2081 Griffin Rd? We have this hotel after our cruise for the night.

Is there anything around this hotel?

Cost of taxi from port to hotel?

How would get from this hotel to the beach?

No.

About $20.

Taxi. About $15.

Thank you! I did look up the sobeshuttle, but they only seem to have evening/late night pick up from Fort L (unless I read it wrong). She would want to make a day of it in South Beach and get back to hotel by late evening. Any other suggestions for transportation? I assume public transportation is not an option? She hasn't traveled much and is a self-admitted scaredy-cat!

Thanks!

Your friend could certainly use public transport...there are buses and trains. I don't use it, so I have no idea what route to take, but I'm sure that she would have to make several transfers...she will have to go south, then east and will have to cross from Broward County to Miami-Dade County. Other than taxi, limo, car rental, sobe shuttle, and public transport, I cannot think of any options. There used to be a water taxi but it no longer exists (it involved traveling for hours each way to spend 2 hours in south beach).