Formal night.. my boyfriend may be in trouble!! ha..

stephic411

I have been on 2 cruises before but I can't remember what all the guys wore... I know what the website "says" but I am wanting the opinion of others. We are going on the carnival ecstasy in Jan. It is a 5 day cruise so I am guessing there is only 1 formal night but I want to do it but my boyfriend will be the problem! Would khaki pants..nice shoes..and a polo tucked in be alright? If not how about instead of the polo it is a nice dress shirt with a tie? Thanks so much!

It's really not hard to follow the cruise line suggestions. He's not going to be keelhauled if he wears something else, if that's what you're asking. It's up to him how much or how little he wants to fit in. You can, of course, always just go to the buffet instead of the main dining room on formal nights. Have a fantastic trip!

It's really not hard to follow the cruise line suggestions. He's not going to be keelhauled if he wears something else, if that's what you're asking. It's up to him how much or how little he wants to fit in. You can, of course, always just go to the buffet instead of the main dining room on formal nights. Have a fantastic trip!

Carnival no longer has formal night-they have "elegant night." If he wears a dress shirt and tie instead of the polo, he will be perfectly acceptable.

I know some people simply don't have a need for "formal" clothes and may only have what you listed for your boyfriend. Clean and neat is the thing. He will be just fine. Some of my family wouldn't have formal clothes but when going on a cruise opted to hit a thrift store and bought a dress shirt and jacket to wear for those two hours. My husband always skips the tie but wears a simple dress shirt and blazer and leaves a tie in the jacket pocket in case they insist on it. We've been on fifteen cruises, we've never worn full tuxedo's or gowns. I wear a nice pants suit or blouse with skirt. Don't let clothes "snobs" tell you otherwise. Your boyfriend needs to enjoy his cruise. Ask him what he is willing to wear. You may be surprised.

Ha that is funny you mention the lobster because ya that and the other amazing food we would miss that night is why I want to do it! I don't give a crap about dressing up.. I just don't want to miss the great food.. sure there is always the buffet but that is not the same.:(

Our tablemates at dinner dressed less up on our recent 8 day. He wore slacks and a polo and got a little grief from the maitre d' when he walked in, but they didn't stop him from coming into the dining room.

My husband and I dressed up to the nine's (he wore his tux), since we have the clothes and never get to wear them. But really, as long as you're dressed neatly and not wearing shorts, I think he should be okay. As others have said, it's about what you're comfortable with.

I have been on 2 cruises before but I can't remember what all the guys wore... I know what the website "says" but I am wanting the opinion of others. We are going on the carnival ecstasy in Jan. It is a 5 day cruise so I am guessing there is only 1 formal night but I want to do it but my boyfriend will be the problem! Would khaki pants..nice shoes..and a polo tucked in be alright? If not how about instead of the polo it is a nice dress shirt with a tie? Thanks so much!

Yeah, that's a really, really formal look.

Thanks G'ma for all your help! I am glad everyone on here is not a jerk like you. I thought this was a place you could go to get info on crusing.

Stop! What did you want to hear? You must have known that khakis and a polo aren't 'formal'. On a Carnival 5 nighter its most likely acceptable, but it ain't formal. Call it 'resort casual'.

You've gotten good info here. He'll be accepted into the dining room.

No worry, no problem.

Thanks G'ma for all your help! I am glad everyone on here is not a jerk like you. I thought this was a place you could go to get info on crusing.

Yes, it was a sarcastic response and you will get some of those here. (BTW, name calling is a no-no here; calling someone a jerk is name calling. I'm not a moderator, but thought you might not know that rule yet.)

But let me ask you this: What responses were you looking for? You asked for opinions and you got them. The opinions range from "No, that is not appropriate for an elegant dinner and you surely must know that or you wouldn't have mentioned that you know what the cruise line lists and what he should wear" to "It's not formal/elegant, but he will be unlikely to be turned away" to "He should wear whatever he wants regardless of what the cruise line requests and what other wear." Pick whichever suits the choice I suspect he will make regardless of what we write here and go with that.

If you want to know if he can "get away with" dressing casually for an elegant dinner night, then the answer is that on Carnival (and some other lines) he would not usually be turned away, but he may feel out of place because shoes, casual slacks, and a polo shirt is not by any stretch of the imagination elegant. You've been on two cruises; you know what most people wear for the elegant/formal nights (at least, I presume you do); you know what the cruise line requests. You asked for opinions, but it sounds like you were looking for support for your boyfriend's preferences.

This is definitely a place for information about cruising. The responses you got answered specifically the question you asked. IMO, if your boyfriend doesn't care to dress as requested, then you and he should make use of the casual dining venue(s) that evening. He's an adult and should behave like one by choosing between dressing casually and having lobster for dinner. Surely he has attended events where a specific type of attire was requested or required?

The bottom line is that if you don't want responses that you might not like, then don't ask a question and request opinions from others.

beachchick

I go along with Beachchick...if your boyfriend decides on the khaki's and polo, fine, go for it. But do not be surprised if he gets turned away by the maitre d' and/or feels out of place if allowed to dine dressed like that in the dining room.

Oh and don't forget, each maitre d' has his or her idea of what is acceptable, what might pass muster by one, may not by another and since all staff change ships on a regular basis, you may not find the same maitre d' on the ship as you had last time.

A decent shirt and a tie won't exactly break the weight limits in your suitcase, so you really would be advised to pack them...there is a 50/50 chance that your boyfriend will need to dress in a shirt and tie, so why potentially ruin your favourite evening for the sake of not having the right attire?

It's all I can do to drag my hubby out of work boots, jeans, t-shirt with flannel on top and a ball cap. But on our 8 day that we took a couple years ago he wore black khakis, a dress shirt with tie and dress shoes.There were no comments that we knew of.

From what I have found and realized is most of the people are having to much fun to notice who is wearing what. And for the people that do, they are either not having fun, or they are that group that we all know from high school and have nothing better to do.

Yep, most of the men on our cruise wore basicaly what they would wear in an office, I guess - Long black/navy/brown pants, and a button up business shirt. Some wore ties, some didnt, and very few were wearing jackets.

I would suggest buying a button up shirt, the tie I feel is not nessecary, if he really doesn't want to wear it!

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats. Harry :cool:

Your boy friend won't be in trouble. If he dresses as you say and you are well dressed to match you'll be allowed in and have a nice meal.

Others will make a stink about following the guidelines ( I think there is a crowd here that love posting the "guidelines," I call them the dress police :D ) but like it or not a fair percentage dress as you discribe, more wear suit/tie but you won't be alone nor should you feel out of place

Enjoy that cruise

ChipMaster, I'm really surprised by your post. Posting excerpts from the cruise lines' website now makes a poster the "dress police"? I've seen the term applied to people who say, "You should wear XYZ". But people giving a poster correct information?

O-kay....so when someone asks, "What kind of food is served in the dining room?", people should reply, "I dunno, if you want lobster every night, that's what you should expect!"

Cruising is what it is. The guidelines belong to the cruise lines, not the people posting them. Dress guidelines vary a lot by cruiseline.

If dress is important to you (either dressing up or down), then research before you book. Of the "mainstreams", NCL is the most casual, Cunard the most formal.

If you're visiting this site after booking, and have been ambushed by an unexpected dress code, visit your cruise line's board here. You'll find helpful people who can suggest how to adapt your packing without buying clothes you'll never wear again.

stephic411 -- I do not have any Carnival specific knowledge but neither outfit for your BF is considered formal under any definition of the word. Whether it meets Carnival's dress code is a Q I can't answer.

I will suggest the following to you: buy the guy a navy blue blazer. IMNSHO, every man needs the following: jeans, a dark suit, a pair of khakis, a white dress shirt, a polo & a blue blazer. Those basics will get him from birth through death. They are investments & if you buy well will never go out of style so as long as his weight doesn't change, he's good for the rest of his life. A blue blazer is the male equivalent of the women's LBD.

FWIW, grown men in dress shirts & ties with no jacket look like lost schoolboys. Grown men wear jackets. A man in jeans, a golf polo & a jacket still looks more dressed up to me than the same guy in dress pants & a tie without the jacket.

Happy cruising & enjoy your lobster.

FWIW, grown men in dress shirts & ties with no jacket look like lost schoolboys. Grown men wear jackets. A man in jeans, a golf polo & a jacket still looks more dressed up to me than the same guy in dress pants & a tie without the jacket.

Happy cruising & enjoy your lobster.

:confused: I would hazard a guess that you are in the minority with that belief.

In lieu of a tuxedo most men generally wear a dark suit...

:confused: I would hazard a guess that you are in the minority with that belief.

OK. I can accept being in the minority.

FWIW, my comments were not restricted to Carnival. I have no idea what complies with the dress code. I'm sure a shirt & tie work. My comment was that I personally don't think that looks dressed b/c to me it looks unfinished.

Besides, if DH isn't wearing a blazer where am I supposed to stash my lipstick if I don't want to carry a purse on board & what can I steal in the theater when I get too cold? :D

Archived