Aft cabin (7133/7135) on Riviera question

kazu

looking at our first Oceania cruise. These cabins have been recommended by Oceania as they have larger verandahs.

We will be doing a TA on this cruise. My experience has been that afts can have more motion and noise. Rep at Oceania says this is not the case.

I have been doing some searching but not getting too far.

We have cruised a fair bit but not with Oceania. What are your thoughts/experience please? Aft or midship?

Thank you:D

They will have more motion if the ship is pitching than a midship location.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, that is what I thought and the rep said owners' suites were there and they wouldn't put them in a bad location.

Appreciate the confirmation

looking at our first Oceania cruise. These cabins have been recommended by Oceania as they have larger verandahs.

We will be doing a TA on this cruise. My experience has been that afts can have more motion and noise. Rep at Oceania says this is not the case.

We have cruised a fair bit but not with Oceania. What are your thoughts/experience please? Aft or midship?

If this is on Marina or Riviera I would grab it as soon as possible. They have a wrap around balcony and are a most desired cabin by many. Go for it!

We were in one of the two aft OC suites last November and didn't feel motion was a problem. (I am prone to seasickness, DH should have been a sailor.)

There WAS noise but that was primarily when leaving or entering port. Then the engines did sound like they were right in our room.

But I'd book it again!

Mura

It's good that you are savvy enough to ask, but I warn you that, even with more information, this is not likely to be an easy decision.

It is true that at the back of the ship you will notice more noise, vibration and motion than a mid-ship location; of course, only you can know how much those factors will effect your enjoyment of the Cruise.

It must be noted, however, that the verandas of those two Penthouses are not marginally larger than one that you might find at the side of the ship. they are quite literally SPECTACULAR.

b_185415.jpg

Just got off 7135 on Marina. We had a little roughness one night - but really don't think the location amplified the movement much at all. I had been worried about the engine noise when going into port...but we were always up well before port...so no issue.

What I loved about the wraparound balcony was there was always an area to escape the wind - on the side or in the back. It's not only a wrap around, the side is a very deep balcony.

The cabins are a bit smaller than other PH's - the area between the table at the end of the bed and the dresser is about 2 feet narrower and the walk in closet is smaller. If you do a search you can find pictures. We felt the larger balcony was worth the smaller cabin.

Edited by buggins0402

Thank you for the pic:D

To be honest, I don't usually have issues.

DH can though. Mind you we have been quite forward on the Prinsendam but she was built to travel the oceans.

I feel somewhat lost with a new cruise line and really appreciate the help.

If motion is not severe, then it wouldn't be an issue but we are crossing the Atlantic. The verandah looks really nice and it would be put to good use on a TA ;)

Many thanks

Just got off 7135 on Marina. We had a little roughness one night - but really don't think the location amplified the movement much at all. I had been worried about the engine noise when going into port...but we were always up well before port...so no issue.

What I loved about the wraparound balcony was there was always an area to escape the wind - on the side or in the back. It's not only a wrap around, the side is a very deep balcony.

The cabins are a bit smaller than other PH's - the area between the table at the end of the bed and the dresser is about 2 feet narrower and the walk in closet is smaller. If you do a search you can find pictures. We felt the larger balcony was worth the smaller cabin.

Thanks. I was told that the rooms were the same size. I knew if I came here I would get the straight scoop. I will search for pics. Have been spoiled with our websites for pics at HAL :o. Much appreciated

Kazu, I am surprised to see you over here. You will really enjoy your trip but do not try and compare it to HAL as they really have little in common as far as style of cruise or ship. We have been on the ship twice and had a nice time.

Kazu, I am surprised to see you over here. You will really enjoy your trip but do not try and compare it to HAL as they really have little in common as far as style of cruise or ship. We have been on the ship twice and had a nice time.

Thanks - no comparisons by me. Were going on the Ryndam's farewell cruise and HAL substituted it, so I started looking:D.

Seemed like an ideal itinerary to try her. DH and I are heading to Spain early to do Camino de Santiago and explore Northern Spain so embarkation in Barcelona is ideal.

We love smaller ships so I think this should be a good fit:D

Edited by kazu

We stayed in 7135 last summer on a 14 night cruise of the Baltic. We loved the room it is a bit smaller than the STD PH room but the balcony and location more than make up for what you lose in the room. You can ask for an extra lounger and more table and chairs, because you don't then have to keep moving them from the side to the back as you have a wrap around balcony.

If you have never experienced a aft view than I highly recommend it you have amazing views as you sail away from ports. On my next Oceania cruise I have booked a forward facing cabin on Nautica.

The only noise was when you were docking and leaving the dockside the back side thrusters would go but only if your side was next to the dock. The benefit was that it was an alarm clock to get up we are now in port :D

I am trying to upload some pictures but they are failing :confused:

I am trying to upload some pictures but they are failing :confused:

You need to put them on a photo site like smugmug, photobucket etc...then post a link from there

You are all awesome:D

I really appreciate the help.

More than words can say.

Not used to asking the questions anymore :o

We have the cruise on hold and leaning towards a mid ship cabin, but still thinking.

If the fabulous help I have gotten here is a sample of our fellow cruisers, we are going to be very fortunate,

All the pics, comments are great and very appreciated

Pretty simple: wonderful veranda vs less cabin space, more vibration, and higher fares (than other PH aft cabins). Personal preference.

Edited by ohmark

We were in a Back to Back on last year's Riviera Crossing in November. We were in 7128 = regular PH for our first segment and in 7135 on the 2nd from Barcelona to Miami We sailed from Istanbul to Barcelona in 7128 and were supposed to be in 7130 but the other passengers were also going back to back and we took the aft cabin on the other side.

We were blown away by 7128 the regular PH; Spacious and Walk in closet. We love to have breakfast daily in the room. We had the same butler.

We were moved to the new cabin and we had some of the furniture removed and moved the table/chairs at the end of the bed so we could walk around the room. We packed some of our clothes since they barely fit in the closet. Granted I don't travel very light - but the closet was very small.

I adored that wrap around balcony. It was HUGE. And peaceful. and if we had warmer drier weather, I'd have been ecstatic. We had gray, cloudy skies and cool weather. With wind. And RAIN. It made me sorry I took the cabin. I wish I'd have stayed in the same cabin for both cruises.

All that said - You can't predict the weather. You can adjust your attitude. After all, I was on a lovely ship with great food and good friends.

I would not book that cabin again if it was shoulder season. Only for a sunny climate. That's just my opinion and it would apply to any ship. I have had other aft cabins and loved them BUT THEY ARE WEATHER DEPENDENT>

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

We were in a Back to Back on last year's Riviera Crossing in November. We were in 7128 = regular PH for our first segment and in 7135 on the 2nd from Barcelona to Miami We sailed from Istanbul to Barcelona in 7128 and were supposed to be in 7130 but the other passengers were also going back to back and we took the aft cabin on the other side.

We were blown away by 7128 the regular PH; Spacious and Walk in closet. We love to have breakfast daily in the room. We had the same butler.

We were moved to the new cabin and we had some of the furniture removed and moved the table/chairs at the end of the bed so we could walk around the room. We packed some of our clothes since they barely fit in the closet. Granted I don't travel very light - but the closet was very small.

I adored that wrap around balcony. It was HUGE. And peaceful. and if we had warmer drier weather, I'd have been ecstatic. We had gray, cloudy skies and cool weather. With wind. And RAIN. It made me sorry I took the cabin. I wish I'd have stayed in the same cabin for both cruises.

All that said - You can't predict the weather. You can adjust your attitude. After all, I was on a lovely ship with great food and good friends.

I would not book that cabin again if it was shoulder season. Only for a sunny climate. That's just my opinion and it would apply to any ship. I have had other aft cabins and loved them BUT THEY ARE WEATHER DEPENDENT>

Thank you. Very sound advice and very appreciated. Especially appreciate you sharing your TA experience.

Thank you for the pic:D

I feel somewhat lost with a new cruise line and really appreciate the help.

Many thanks

Jacqui, you will absolutely love Oceania. And her new ships are really beautiful! Marianne and I sailed on the Marina last Sept to the Baltic, and she is a gorgeous vessel. We've also sailed on one of her R ships (Regatta), going on the Insignia this Sept., and have been on both of Azamara's R's twice each.

Loved them as well.

Do enjoy your afternoon tea each day at sea, but you'll probably have to forego either breakfast or lunch - naah - go for the whole magilla and worry about getting rid of extra pounds when you get back. Right now, I'm salivating for scones, raspberry jam and clotted cream!:o:rolleyes: To say nothing of the surf and turf sandwiches on ciabatta rolls at lunch. Oh, my, can't wait till Sept 6 to board Insignia.

Donna

Jacqui' date=' you will absolutely love Oceania. And her new ships are really beautiful! Marianne and I sailed on the Marina last Sept to the Baltic, and she is a gorgeous vessel. We've also sailed on one of her R ships (Regatta), going on the Insignia this Sept., and have been on both of Azamara's R's twice each.

Loved them as well.

Do enjoy your afternoon tea each day at sea, but you'll probably have to forego either breakfast or lunch - naah - go for the whole magilla and worry about getting rid of extra pounds when you get back. Right now, I'm salivating for scones, raspberry jam and clotted cream!:o:rolleyes: To say nothing of the surf and turf sandwiches on ciabatta rolls at lunch. Oh, my, can't wait till Sept 6 to board Insignia.

Donna[/quote']

LOL. :D:D thanks :D

All tips gratefully received, can't do much with this broken wrist, but I can read this board. Great information :D

Sorry to hear about your wrist, hope it is doing OK. When is the trip you are thinking of?

This one is November 2015....will go early to the North of Spain and then catch this home. Not thinking too hard - it's already on hold:D. It's the cabin and the new cruise line I have been struggling with.

In fact it is such a done deal you will see it on the future cruise listing next week!

Hopefully some other Prinsendam aficionados will be coming along:D

Looking forward to a new adventure:D