Oceania concierge class not worth it to me

JTor

We cruised on Nautica previously in a veranda stateroom and had the same booked on Riviera but were offered a low cost upgrade to "concierge". Having experienced both, my opinion is that the upgrade is not worth it, even for what we paid ($150/person on a 12 night sailing). It's important to realize that the cabins in the 2 categories are identical, just located slightly differently (and if the water is rough, you will feel it MORE in concierge because you are higher up)

Perks we appreciated: earlier online booking for specialty restaurants (only worth it to us because on this sailing we had a special occasion and wanted to be sure of having a reservation that day); access to spa deck; shoe polishing

Perks we didn't get much benefit from: pressing of a garment (nice but could have done ourselves easily); early boarding (put us in a huge crush of all the "concierge" people trying to board at once); fancier toiletries (shampoo is pretty much shampoo, and if you're picky you'll bring your own anyway)

Perks we didn't use at all: cashmere lap blankets (it was 32 degrees!), concierge (we only asked him for help once and he not only didn't help, but didn't even get back to us); concierge lounge (nothing there you can't get elsewhere on the ship in more pleasant surroundings - loud "cowboy" music sure didn't make it any nicer)

I wonder if others who have tried both felt it was worthwhile for them, and if so which benefits convinced them of the value?

Thanks for your comprehensive evaluation of concierge vs. veranda cabins on Nautica. Accomodations as well as food, excursions, spa, etc. are valued in different ways by different cruisers.

We originally only booked veranda cabins but the earlier embarkation (most of the time) and earlier delivery of luggage were important to us and caused us to book more expensive cabins. We haven't changed back.

I am sure there will be more discussion here but all viewpoints are valid and there is no one correct view. By offering different levels of perks Oceania I believe hopes to satisfy the market.

After you've read CC for a while you will see that there are plenty of people on both sides of this issue. Some prefer concierge, others don't think it's worth the extra money.

No one is wrong. It's a question of where you want to spend your money. Personally we prefer the larger cabins, some of the perks (not particularly the butler or having our clothing pressed, however) ... Others disagree.

To each his own.

Mura

Did I read that right that on Nautica the balcony cabins with and without concierge are identical in size?

We had a concierge level cabin on the Regatta. It was really nice to have a larger cabin and we had a great butler, but we did not take advantage of his service enough to justify the expense. We would rather travel more often.

Did I read that right that on Nautica the balcony cabins with and without concierge are identical in size?

We had a concierge level cabin on the Regatta. It was really nice to have a larger cabin and we had a great butler, but we did not take advantage of his service enough to justify the expense. We would rather travel more often.

If you had a butler, you were in "penthouse' The cabins there are 50% larger than concierge and 'veranda'. The latter 2 are identical. I agree that concierge is not worth the extra.

If you had a Butler, then you were in a Suite of some kind, NOT a Concierge Stateroom.

My experience with CC on any line is that the ONLY advantage for me might be cabin location. On some ships that is important (eg Celebrity where certain cabins with oversized balconies are CC). On others, like O, not so much.

The one perk that I do think has some value on O is access to the spa deck -- but since you can pay as you go for that -- and on a port intensive cruise there isn't much chance to use it -- I am not sure it is not better to save the $$ and pay per use. The spa deck is much nicer on the O ships than on the R ships.

I have sailed O in an Outside and I have never had a problem getting specialty restaurant reservations at a preferred time (we always put "willing to share" which gives you many more options).

When I was in a PH on Marina I did not think much of the executive lounge -- especially with all the guys in bathrobes and Pjs.

If I am going to spend extra money for a cabin (and I do on longer cruises) it will be for a PH where i get lots of extra space, a tub (on the R ships) and a butler. Those are extras that are worth it to me.

We cruised on Nautica previously in a veranda stateroom and had the same booked on Riviera but were offered a low cost upgrade to "concierge". Having experienced both, my opinion is that the upgrade is not worth it, even for what we paid ($150/person on a 12 night sailing). It's important to realize that the cabins in the 2 categories are identical, just located slightly differently (and if the water is rough, you will feel it MORE in concierge because you are higher up)

Perks we appreciated: earlier online booking for specialty restaurants (only worth it to us because on this sailing we had a special occasion and wanted to be sure of having a reservation that day); access to spa deck; shoe polishing

Perks we didn't get much benefit from: pressing of a garment (nice but could have done ourselves easily); early boarding (put us in a huge crush of all the "concierge" people trying to board at once); fancier toiletries (shampoo is pretty much shampoo, and if you're picky you'll bring your own anyway)

Perks we didn't use at all: cashmere lap blankets (it was 32 degrees!), concierge (we only asked him for help once and he not only didn't help, but didn't even get back to us); concierge lounge (nothing there you can't get elsewhere on the ship in more pleasant surroundings - loud "cowboy" music sure didn't make it any nicer)

I wonder if others who have tried both felt it was worthwhile for them, and if so which benefits convinced them of the value?

Our experience was pretty much the same as yours, but ours was on the Marinaand it was a free upgrade. I did like the larger bathroom and nicer toiletreis. On our own dime I would not pick concierge.

O would have to pay me to give up the extended balcony - B3- to go to a concierge cabin. An upsell to a PH is a different story- every time I get the upsell to concierge offer, which has been every cruise, I counter with an offer to take a PH for about twice the concierge offer. Maybe, someday they will take it- LOL.

Nautica does not have a concierge lounge.

Marina & Riviera do. This gives you an additional site for coffee and munchies.

Also cold water in smaller bottles and daily newspapers. Room location is also a consideration. For a token upcharge, I gladly pay it.

Better breakfast choice, welcome champagne,use of concierge, extra restaurant reservations, better toiletries, fruit, garment pressing, higher level...... suits me :)

Little touches that go a long way.

Adrian

AND priority embarkation - lines or not - they're quick and I'm tucking into lunch before the masses :)

Better breakfast choice, welcome champagne,use of concierge, extra restaurant reservations, better toiletries, fruit, garment pressing, higher level...... suits me :)

Little touches that go a long way.

Adrian

The OP stated that the upgrade cost was only $150 pp for a 12 day cruise. That's totally worth it IMO. :rolleyes: What is that, about $12 bucks per day?

The included Spa Terrace passes alone are worth the uptick to me.

Good to know. I could not get a B4 cabin so I chose an A4 that is near the Concierge Lounge. My husband will love dashing out to get us coffee in the AM while I am getting ready for the day.

O would have to pay me to give up the extended balcony - B3- to go to a concierge cabin. An upsell to a PH is a different story- every time I get the upsell to concierge offer, which has been every cruise, I counter with an offer to take a PH for about twice the concierge offer. Maybe, someday they will take it- LOL.

My feelings exactly...I go for the open sided b-3's like 7009/7008 with verandas 3 times the size or any others even larger than Penthouses:D

My feelings exactly...I go for the open sided b-3's like 7009/7008 with verandas 3 times the size or any others even larger than Penthouses:D

Now, don't go and give away our secret - cabin 7108 has my name on it. I like the ones further aft.

This is our very first cruise. We booked Concierge level A3 et got cabin 7107 confirmed. Is that a good location?

Also am surprised about this "upgrade" thing - 150 dollars compared to the price we paid - this is not normal! We booked months ago....

The A concierge class cabins are the identical size to 7107- a B4 Veranda class. If you go on to the deck plans ?sid=MNAoceaniacruises.com you get a good idea of their locations. The extra cost for a concierge class cabin is much debated, In my experience I would not pay for one again. I would spend the extra $ and book a larger cabin- PH class. If you prefer a larger balcony, a B4 extended balcony on deck 7 is a great option at a good price.

Upgrades & upsells are the luck of the draw...some get them some don't.

Consider asking your TA for some perks ie Prepaid Grats, OBC etc. It will help lower your cost! Also let the TA know you are open to any upgrades or upsells. You made a good choice by choosing O for your first cruise experience. Have you joined your RollCall?

Archived