What can onboard credit be used on?

icedancer43

We will be sailing on our first cruise on NCL in March on the Getaway and we are going to receive some onboard credit. We got some credit from NCL which is already shown on the website. We are also receiving some onboard credit from Travelocity that is not shown yet. I read on an older post that we will receive an invoice in our cabin stating how much onboard credit we have. Is this still the case? What all is the onboard credit good on? We would like to maybe book a specialty restaurant and a shore excursion. Can we use the onboard credit to book these early online?

Thank you in advance.

OBC cannot be used until you are onboard. That is why it is called 'on board' credit.

All OBC can be used for specialty dinners, excursions, drinks, etc.

OBC from NCL cannot be used for the DSC but can be used for anything else.

NCL OBC is shown on your shipboard statement as nonrefundable OBC, so needs to be spent on drinks, dinners, excursions, photos, spa. Anything except gratuities.

Edited by NMLady

OBC cannot be used until you are onboard. That is why it is called 'on board' credit.

All OBC can be used for specialty dinners, excursions, drinks, etc.

OBC from NCL cannot be used for the DSC but can be used for anything else.

NCL OBC is shown on your shipboard statement as nonrefundable OBC, so needs to be spent on drinks, dinners, excursions, photos, spa. Anything except gratuities.

Strictly speaking, anything except the DSC. I believe you can use it for extra tips to butlers, concierges, room stewards etc. by signing a chit at Guest Services to charge the extra tip to your account (not that I ever get much if any OBC as a Brit:mad:).

Strictly speaking, anything except the DSC. I believe you can use it for extra tips to butlers, concierges, room stewards etc. by signing a chit at Guest Services to charge the extra tip to your account (not that I ever get much if any OBC as a Brit:mad:).

This is correct. That's why it's important to use the terminology that NCL uses - there is a distinction between the DSC and tips/gratuities. All OBC can be used for gratuities, whether it's for additional tips for the steward or wait staff, tips for the concierge/butler, or the automatic tips on bar tabs. However, only refundable OBC can be used for the DSC. Non-refundable OBC cannot be used for the DSC.

This is correct. That's why it's important to use the terminology that NCL uses - there is a distinction between the DSC and tips/gratuities. All OBC can be used for gratuities, whether it's for additional tips for the steward or wait staff, tips for the concierge/butler, or the automatic tips on bar tabs. However, only refundable OBC can be used for the DSC. Non-refundable OBC cannot be used for the DSC.

Thank you for the information. I'm sorry, but what is DSC? Also, how do you know if the onboard credit is refundable or non-refundable?

Thank you for the information. I'm sorry, but what is DSC? Also, how do you know if the onboard credit is refundable or non-refundable?

DSC = Daily Service Charge

the $12 per day per person that is automatically added to your on board account.

If you get a print out of your On Board Credit or even a print out of your account after day 1 it will say Non Refundable or Refundable on your statement.

Non-refundable is what you get from NCL as a booking promotion and that cannot be used for your DSC

I believe I have 3 different credits for a cruise next December.

$100 from ncl as part of a promo last week, $50 for being a latitudes member and $75 for buying and using some sort of ncl certificate towards a future cruise. Any idea if any of these credits can be used towards the daily service fee. Otherwise I will have to put off booking speciailty resturants until I board and risk being shut out. $225 per cabin (I have 2 cabins) is a lot to spend if you don't drink much and plan private excurisions.

I believe I have 3 different credits for a cruise next December.

$100 from ncl as part of a promo last week, $50 for being a latitudes member and $75 for buying and using some sort of ncl certificate towards a future cruise. Any idea if any of these credits can be used towards the daily service fee. Otherwise I will have to put off booking speciailty resturants until I board and risk being shut out. $225 per cabin (I have 2 cabins) is a lot to spend if you don't drink much and plan private excurisions.

Rule of thumb anything that came from NCL CANNOT be used toward the Daily Service Charge. If it is a gift from a Travel Agent then Yes it can. But remember often times travel agents have groups and the group amenity ship board credit is technically coming from NCL so it also cannot be used toward the Daily Service Charge. Best bet is to just pre pay the Daily Service charge then have FUN with the rest :) ;)

Otherwise I will have to put off booking speciailty resturants until I board and risk being shut out.

There is only a fraction (concencus seems to be between 25% to 50%) of tables in speciality restaurants bookable in advance - if you have your plans ready and make the reservations once you get onboard, you will definitely not get shut out.

• 2 weeks later...
DSC = Daily Service Charge

the $12 per day per person that is automatically added to your on board account.

If you get a print out of your On Board Credit or even a print out of your account after day 1 it will say Non Refundable or Refundable on your statement.

Non-refundable is what you get from NCL as a booking promotion and that cannot be used for your DSC

Since this is our first experience with NCL, I want to make sure I understand this - can the DSC be removed from your account or is it mandatory? I think it's more personal to hand your envelopes to those who have provided services.

Thanks for your responses.

Since this is our first experience with NCL, I want to make sure I understand this - can the DSC be removed from your account or is it mandatory? I think it's more personal to hand your envelopes to those who have provided services.

DSC is used for incentive programs also for people behind the scenes, there is no way that you could tip everyone in the chain if you remove the service charge. Also, it is a service charge - not a tip, one can tip waiters, room steward, etc for good service as needed anyway. If you remove the DSC everyone you have tipped is apparently required to surrend their tips to common pool to cover the removed service charges.

For starters, you should read this so you can see what NCL's official policy is: http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Don't be surprised that this question generates a lot of heated debate, it's definitely like opening a can of worms here.

Edited by Demonyte

So this is how I feel about the DSC:

Please don't remove the DSC from the automatic payment. Think of the Daily Service Charge as a way of saying Thank You to all those behind the scenes people/crew who make it possible for those more visible to do a great job.

Those behind the scenes people don't get tips like those we see, the waitress with the great smile, the steward who takes the time to make those cute animals, the washy washy person who always looks so happy to see you. Those we don't see at all, those who wash your sheets and towels and make the stewards look good by helping to make your cabin/stateroom look and even smell so nice.

The people in the kitchens who do such a fabulous job of preparing all the food for all the passengers in the many restaurants all benefit from the DSC so please leave it on your account and pay no attention to people who say you can remove it.

Remember that it is not just that one person who may have done something to annoy you but for all the crew members that contribute so much to making sure you have a great cruise.

Do we give tips to those who are visible? yes, a small token of our appreciation is always welcome but we'd never remove the DSC in lieu of it.

Stepping down from soap box now...

Enjoy your cruise,

The Discretionary Service Charge, DSC, can absolutely be adjusted as you prefer. It is NOT mandatory. Many prefer to tip in cash face to face. It is your money and your choice.

I hope and pray NCL would respond to one of these DSC threads.

Until then...

Those of you who want to give yourself the wonderful "feel good" experience of handing cash to the few you choose to reward and stiff the "behind the scenes" workers by cancelling the DSC on your account... Might I suggest you actually ask those crew members you wish to tip in person which THEY prefer. You might be surprised...

It really should be about THEM and not YOU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I hope and pray NCL would respond to one of these DSC threads.

Why would they need to do that? The website (http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge) is very clear about Daily Service Charge and only one(s) with problem understanding the printed word are some rare individuals here.. :p

Edited by Demonyte

Doesn't RCCL have a daily charge also?

I'm glad to have the DSC. The whole tipping thing makes me quite uncomfortable, and I'm glad to have a defined way to compensate all the hardworking crew that made my vacation great.

I've been told that what the crew really values is filling in those comment cards. Mentioning a crewmember by name with a specific compliment is very valuable when it comes time for raises and promotions. This does the person much more good than handing them $5 or whatever.

Doesn't RCCL have a daily charge also?

Yes. It is added to your account every day.

and if you are in a suite, your daily charge is more..(even though there is no butler to love!!)

Edited by DrNora