Help - What to do after the cruise ?

travelbugged

Newbies here so sorry if this is not a great question. We have a 12 night Mediterranean cruise starting in Barcelona-Italy-Greece and back to Barcelona Spain. We were thinking of adding on to our trip before and after since we will have already paid for the flight. We were planning on visiting family in Majorca for 4 days before the cruise and spending 3 days in Barcelona before we sail. We then have 9 days after the cruise but have no idea what to do as we aren't sure how much time it takes to do different things in Europe. One limitation - we have already booked our return flight to the states from Barcelona. When we get back from the cruise, should we further explore Spain, or go to a whole different country with those 9 days.

I'd go to at least one other country. Never done it ourselves from Barcelona, but surely there are some trains or short commuter flights that you could take. We have done multiple countries from other ports of call.

While still in Barcelona, be sure and take the train up to Montserrat for a day trip. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Spain is incredibly easy to get around via train. You can easily take one of the high speed trains into San Sebastián, which is one of my favorite places to eat/drink/explore! From San Sebastián you can very easily take the train into France and check out Biarritz or hop an easy jet to Paris and spend a few days there. With nine days the possibilities are endless! Enjoy!

At least one of the low-cost European airlines (Easy Jet or Ryanair, I can't remember which) has flights to all kinds of places from Girona, near Barcelona. It's an hour train ride between the two. (And Girona is a lovely medieval town). Or you could see Spain by train. Madrid would be worth at least at least a few days, and Toledo, Córdoba, and Sevilla are all worth a day or more. We spent two weeks seeing those four cities and didn't feel it was too much time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barcelona is a wonderful city we have returned 8 times and always find things we haven't seen before.

Most recently we ended a cruise in Venice & took a direct Vueling flight to Barcelona. So if you want to explore further Venice is a wonderful option. If budget is a consideration try staying in Mestre a quick 7-10 min train ride to Venice, buses also run all the time. The Best Western Bologna is directly across from the train station so convenient and a nice hotel.

DH and I have booked an all day tour to Montserrat & Cava country when we disembark the Equinox in Barcelona on Oct 27. The tour is small group (4-12). Booked through www.BarcelonaDayTours.com

Tour company is picking us up at the pier in Barcelona and returning us to our hotel in Barcelona after the tour :) We would love to have some of our fellow cruisers join us on this adventure. Price is right: 89 Euros each.

This is a new tour put together by Barcelona Day Tours, and I don't even see it on the website so you may have to specifically ask for it in order to join the small group tour excursion. The web site can give you an email address where you can write and ask questions.

Edited by jwag

bessinfl has already outlined my thoughts in recommending those beautiful Spanish cities. Even with 2-3 days in each you won't be able to see everything. Big advantage limiting your experience to one foreign currency and one foreign language for your first trip. Leave the more distant destinations for your next trip. Trust me, there will be a next one!

At least one of the low-cost European airlines (Easy Jet or Ryanair, I can't remember which) has flights to all kinds of places from Girona, near Barcelona. It's an hour train ride between the two. (And Girona is a lovely medieval town). Or you could see Spain by train. Madrid would be worth at least at least a few days, and Toledo, Córdoba, and Sevilla are all worth a day or more. We spent two weeks seeing those four cities and didn't feel it was too much time.

Just to Reiterate this post,Spain has some wonderful cities to explore, to add to this post Valencia and Malaga are just beautiful as well. From Southern Spain you can get across to North Africa easily, there are tour operators on the Costa del Sol who run day trips to Tangiier if you just want a taste of Africa . There is a good domestic flight network all over Spain. Spain is beautiful and has so much to offer .

What countries if any have you been to?...makes suggesting easier..

Newbies here so sorry if this is not a great question. We have a 12 night Mediterranean cruise starting in Barcelona-Italy-Greece and back to Barcelona Spain. We were thinking of adding on to our trip before and after since we will have already paid for the flight. We were planning on visiting family in Majorca for 4 days before the cruise and spending 3 days in Barcelona before we sail. We then have 9 days after the cruise but have no idea what to do as we aren't sure how much time it takes to do different things in Europe. One limitation - we have already booked our return flight to the states from Barcelona. When we get back from the cruise, should we further explore Spain, or go to a whole different country with those 9 days.

Express train to Paris - few days there, then Eurostar to London and a few days there? Then cheap flight back to Barcelona for your flight home. You could obviously do this in reverse.

Switzerland?

A week in Croatia? Dubrovnik

A lot depends on where you've already been - either before or on the cruise and whether you're ever coming back to Europe.

Rick Steeves programmes on YouTube might give you some ideas of things to see and do in various places.

Edited by DYKWIA

Yes, easy to get to anywhere from Barcelona.

Good roads to drive on in Spain but be very very carefull with the speed limits. I seem to remember reading that these are being strictly enforced. Can't even go a kilometre above. All speedometers differ too!

You could go to Gibralter and even cross to Africa! Portugal too.

I, obviously, would choose France. Andorra? Limitless choice:D

bessinfl has already outlined my thoughts in recommending those beautiful Spanish cities. Even with 2-3 days in each you won't be able to see everything. Big advantage limiting your experience to one foreign currency and one foreign language for your first trip. Leave the more distant destinations for your next trip. Trust me, there will be a next one!

There's only one currency for most of Europe and English is widely spoken, however I agree with not spreading yourself too thin. Far more relaxing to enjoy one country than being sat on inter country trains or queuing at airports.

Barcelona is the port for many cruises lines. Obviously you would not want to repeat the itinerary of the cruise you have done but I'll bet you could find a seven day cruise taking in Corsica, Sardinia, Gibraltar, Cartagena.....Some of the smaller cruise boats go into the picturesque harbours that are not accessible to larger cruise ships. Easy and stress free way to see a lot!

Alternately hire a car and plan a nine day circular route. Spanish driving is no where near as stressful as driving in Italy or Greece...you could either drive North to the Pyrenees and enjoy some beautiful Mountain air or South as others have suggested to Seville and Gibraltar. If you choose to tour Spain they have many unusual hotels and guest houses. Some are former Chateaux, former nunnerie, vineyards.....booking in a few unusual overnights can really add another dimension to your holiday, especially as many have amazing restaurants attached.

What ever you choose have a great cruise and adventure!

Agree...we're planning a two week trip this November, focusing on the cities you mentioned, along with Ronda. In planning the trip, I've been amazed at how good and how extensive the high speed rail system is in Spain. This will be our second land trip to Spain, along with a few Barcelona embarkations for cruises, and we're only scratching the surface.

That said, if OP's cruise is in July to mid August they might want to go somewhere a bit cooler than Madrid, Seville or Cordoba.

We have been to Barcelona twice and love it. Just prepare for the pickpockets by wearing moneybelt and packsafe purse.

For post-cruise plans, I would not leave Spain to go to southern France. There is a high speed trail to Madrid that would give you an opportunity to spend some days there. Also, visit nearby Toledo and Segovia.

I believe the high speed train from Barcelona to Paris is now available if you haven't been to Paris.

Also, youi could rent a car and drive to the Basque area of Spain.

We are sort of in the same situation. We have 10 days to kill between 2 cruises. There is lots to see in Northern Spain. You will need to rent a car and find places to stay but you can easily plan a 9 day Northern Spain tour.

DON

Travelbugged

For me the time of year would also influence. If it is July/August then I would want to get away from the heat and crowds. Maybe consider London with a couple of days in Dublin?

As beautiful as they are, I wouldn't choose Seville, Córdoba or Granada where temperatures can get up to 50c.

Paris with a trip to London would also be good, as you could go on Eurostar. I would only visit two other places, otherwise you waste a lot of time travelling.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have not been to Andalusia (Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla) I would go there. You have the Mezquita and windy Andalusian streets in Cordoba; the cathedral and palace and beauty of Sevilla and the fabulous Alhambra in Granada. The AVE, high speed train, goes to Sevilla and Cordoba from Barcelona. It is easy to take a bus or hired transportation to Granada and then take a bus or train back to Barcelona for your flight home. I have not yet been to northern Spain but I understand it is very beautiful as well. Madrid is also a marvel in itself, very different from cosmopolitan Barcelona. The AVE runs from Barcelona to Madrid as well.