only 4 hrs in Victoria Bc Canada

Buffettlovertina

Am I reading this right or is there a typo? My Itinerary says we get into Victoria Bc, Canada at 7:30 PM and leave at 11:59 PM. That gives us 4 hrs in the evening? Does anyone who has went had this and if they did are things open in the evening for us to see?

Butchers Gardens is amazing! You will need to do a cruise tour just due to timing. If you have any interest at all - I strongly recommend. One of the best gardens I have ever been to.

Otherwise, downtown Victoria will have a lot of restaurants open and is beautiful to walk around, even at night.

Just a correction Coral - it's Butchart Gardens.

Lots will be open and if you don't want to do the tour to the Gardens, just wandering around town will be fun.

Thanks. Typo!

Apparently not "that" mandatory as a ship missed last week because of high wind

Yes - it can be missed due to wind. Usually when that happens, a pilot boat comes out and exchanges paperwork of some sort. At least that is what happened when we have missed it.

Butchers Gardens is amazing! You will need to do a cruise tour just due to timing. If you have any interest at all - I strongly recommend. One of the best gardens I have ever been to.

Otherwise, downtown Victoria will have a lot of restaurants open and is beautiful to walk around, even at night.

They won't have much time for Butchart Gardens. They arrive at 7:30. Reality is by the time they get off (15-30 minutes), load onto the bus, drive for an hour to Butchart Gardens with it closing at 10:00. That leaves them about an hour to see the whole thing.

They won't have much time for Butchart Gardens. They arrive at 7:30. Reality is by the time they get off (15-30 minutes), load onto the bus, drive for an hour to Butchart Gardens with it closing at 10:00. That leaves them about an hour to see the whole thing.

Honestly - I have done it several evenings. I agree, if you have more time, the better. But if this is the only time they will ever be in Victoria, I strongly recommend it. I think the gardens are beautiful at night. I go there every time I am in Victoria.

Some people only get to Victoria once in their life time. It is not one of the easier places to get to. Also remember that Alaska for most, is a one time only cruise.

Edited by Coral

Also think about which month... May to July offers sunlight past 9pm.... August to September.... less so.

[YOUTUBE]DXGMBuyRWoE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Honestly - I have done it several evenings. I agree, if you have more time, the better. But if this is the only time they will ever be in Victoria, I strongly recommend it. I think the gardens are beautiful at night. I go there every time I am in Victoria.

Some people only get to Victoria once in their life time. It is not one of the easier places to get to. Also remember that Alaska for most, is a one time only cruise.

True. There is nothing like it so I guess if you don't think you'll ever be back an hour is better then nothing. I was just thinking that when we were there we spent much more time and never saw the whole thing. I was thinking it would be too dark to see anything as well.

Edited by notentirelynormal

True. There is nothing like it so I guess if you don't think you'll ever be back an hour is better then nothing. I was just thinking that when we were there we spent much more time and never saw the whole thing. I was thinking it would be too dark to see anything as well.

It is lit up beautifully at night. Definitely a different feel to it. We were there in an evening in September once.

Am I reading this right or is there a typo? My Itinerary says we get into Victoria Bc, Canada at 7:30 PM and leave at 11:59 PM. That gives us 4 hrs in the evening? Does anyone who has went had this and if they did are things open in the evening for us to see?

Yes, the cruise line is stopping in Canada on a Technicality. (If Victoria is of interest to you, other ships stop there for 12 hours.)

I would never go to the Gardens with only 4 hours (even then it's approximate, depending on what time the ship clears and passengers are allowed to start disembarking). It's just not enough time; even on a ship's tour you would be WAY too rushed.

Many downtown stores stay open in the evenings until 9 pm or so, but it's really just nice to walk around the Inner Harbour with a coffee. The chocolate lover in me recommends a trip to Rogers Chocolates for a box of their Victoria Creams. YUMMY! :)

https://www.rogerschocolates.com/

The Butchart Gardens website indicates that they are open for one hour past the admission closing time. So, even though they close at 10, those already inside the gardens are good until 11.

Edited by gkacky

I would never go to the Gardens with only 4 hours (even then it's approximate, depending on what time the ship clears and passengers are allowed to start disembarking). It's just not enough time; even on a ship's tour you would be WAY too rushed.

Many downtown stores stay open in the evenings until 9 pm or so, but it's really just nice to walk around the Inner Harbour with a coffee. The chocolate lover in me recommends a trip to Rogers Chocolates for a box of their Victoria Creams. YUMMY! :)

https://www.rogerschocolates.com/

You live in Canada - it sounds like you are in Victoria often. For many of us, we don't live anywhere near such an amazing place.

Let's see - Victoria is probably 20 hour drive for me. Longwood Gardens in Delaware is probably 21 hours from me. Many of us rarely get to either.

• 3 weeks later...

Butchart Gardens is beautiful, 20-30 minutes drive. However with your limited time, I'd only consider a ship's excursion given the traffic congestion at closing.

The Inner Harbor itself is beautiful ... the Empress Hotel and it's gardens, the Parliament Bldgs , totems, lots of boats and floatplanes on the go. If you're able, I recommend walking to the Harbor, stopping at Fishermans Wharf which is about the halfway point. There are shops, restaurants (Barbs Fish & Chips) , fishing boats, a small community of floating homes, and sometimes you spot seals and otters. Then walk another 10 minutes to the Harbor. Enjoy the evening view with all the lights.

http://fishermanswharfvictoria.com/page/index

ok now im bummed. I looked up Rodgers chocolates and they close at 7:00 ...we get in at 7:30....who wants to meet me at the pier with chocolate. lol...Just kidding

LOL!

You know what? I thought the same last year on our port stop in Victoria. We weren't even off the ship until after 7, yet they were still open. Some stores do stay open when cruise ships are in... I hope so! :)