First times cruising from Port Everglades-Need hotel

mitsugirly

Sorry to say mitsugrly, your date is also unavailable for April 14th at the Hyatt Place.

Well that sucks...but I have to ask how you actually know this for sure? :confused:

People may want to try this site.. I learned about it on MSN this morning.

https://www.roomertravel.com/

It is rooms pre booked by others that are non-refundable and guaranteed by the site. They even put the reservation in your name.

That's interesting. I'll have to check it out.

I researched and found goportcanaveral.com where I booked a Fly Snooze and Cruise package that includes overnight stay, breakfast and also shuttle service to the port as well as transportation from the port to the airport after the cruise.

No, no, no and quadruple no! I will NEVER use goportcanaveral's services again. I would give them a -5 stars if I could. Worse experience ever, not only for me, but the hundreds of other people that had booked with them on our last cruise. Yikes! :mad:

No, no, no and quadruple no! I will NEVER use goportcanaveral's services again. I would give them a -5 stars if I could. Worse experience ever, not only for me, but the hundreds of other people that had booked with them on our last cruise. Yikes! :mad:

What's your email address?

So, I requested this room on Jan 12th and as of today, Jan 17th, I have not received a confirmation or a denial. There was a 3 day holiday weekend, so maybe it's only considered 2 days so far? It looks like I'll be sending them another email tomorrow if I don't hear anything, just to see if I'm one of those that might have not been received. Otherwise, time to consider other locations mentioned here. Blah :(

Hyatt Regency: airport shuttle, breakfast (Looks like it's kinda surrounded by houses and water only and no place to walk for food or soda for the cruise). $216 for "members" (not sure what you have to do for member) or $249 standard rate

Renaissance- (I definitely see things around there that would suit our needs) $246

If you mean the Hyatt Regency Pier 66, there is a gas station mini mart across the street for buying soda and cheap breakfast, and several places to eat on property for dinner. Stayed there last year pre-cruise.

Stayed at the Renaissance a few years ago. For the same money, I'd go with the renaissance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, ironic how I just posted minutes ago that I had not heard anything...then I received my confirmation.

I'm confirmed for my April 14th arrival pre-cruise and I'm glad to get this confirmation and have my decision made. At least that's one less thing I have to plan and worry about.

I want to thank everyone for all of their suggestions and help. It is truly appreciated. :)

Kim,

I also had trouble with the Hyatt House, beside the discount site that said they would get back to you every other way I looked was booked. Going to be there March 11. Found 2 hotels which were not bad $215 TO 240 Range (higher than I like but for what I was seeing not bad. One was Candlewood Suites (free shuttle from airport and to cruise port I think) and LaQuinta Airport Hotel (near the airport, free shuttle from airport and low fee to port or taxi) got it for $215 a night. Has a good rating and reviews but who knows but for arriving at 7:30 and cruising next day on the Freedom of the Seas will do for one night. I hope. LOL

The Ump

John

UBER and Lyft, same thing. I live in Uberland here in the San Francisco Bay Area. No one bats an eye at Ubering It is extremely popular and safe. We also don't know if they do background checks on cabbies and shuttle drivers. either [emoji33][emoji3] there are bad apples everywhere though, so I can understand your reluctance to Uber.

We are kind of in our own world out here in CAlifornia. Hahaha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also just wanted to update this "Lyft" and "Uber" discussion.

This past weekend we flew to Orlando for a weekend get away with our young daughter which involved a trip to Universal and also Islands of Adventure. Our cruise friends picked us up from the airport and took us to our hotel and then on to have some fun that night. However, that left the rest of our vacation to find transportation and my friend suggested using Lyft or Uber and gave me her experiences and confidence in using them. She went as far as to send me a code that included $10 off and I figured "why not give it a try"...and I did.

I downloaded the Lyft app, requested a car and found that it told me who the driver was, their "star rating", the type of car they would be in, the color of the car and even a generic picture. It also showed a map of the area, where the car was, and how many minutes it would be before the driver would arrive. You could also get an estimate of the charges to the destination.

So we tried it, and tried it again, and even tried it again with a lot of success...well almost (other than our first driver getting confused about where to drop us off to go to the theme park...which was weird not to know if you live in the area). I felt that it was VERY cheap and a very reliable way for transportation and I WILL use it again.

I did read up some about this mode of transportation and found the strict "rules" that apply to the drivers and their cars and everything involved. I feel more confident about using such a service now. :)

I also just wanted to update this "Lyft" and "Uber" discussion.

This past weekend we flew to Orlando for a weekend get away with our young daughter which involved a trip to Universal and also Islands of Adventure. Our cruise friends picked us up from the airport and took us to our hotel and then on to have some fun that night. However, that left the rest of our vacation to find transportation and my friend suggested using Lyft or Uber and gave me her experiences and confidence in using them. She went as far as to send me a code that included $10 off and I figured "why not give it a try"...and I did.

I downloaded the Lyft app, requested a car and found that it told me who the driver was, their "star rating", the type of car they would be in, the color of the car and even a generic picture. It also showed a map of the area, where the car was, and how many minutes it would be before the driver would arrive. You could also get an estimate of the charges to the destination.

So we tried it, and tried it again, and even tried it again with a lot of success...well almost (other than our first driver getting confused about where to drop us off to go to the theme park...which was weird not to know if you live in the area). I felt that it was VERY cheap and a very reliable way for transportation and I WILL use it again.

I did read up some about this mode of transportation and found the strict "rules" that apply to the drivers and their cars and everything involved. I feel more confident about using such a service now. :)

I'm glad you tried it and liked it!

It's great to use it in Fort Lauderdale especially.. you won't end up with a scam taxi driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad you tried it and liked it!

It's great to use it in Fort Lauderdale especially.. you won't end up with a scam taxi driver.

If we are in the FLL area should we use Lyft or Uber? I have Uber downloaded but I will download Lyft if it's better or more popular than Uber.

Both! A lot of the drivers actually drive for both. You also can find Lyft promo codes - 5 free $10 rides for new users!

How do you get that? My friend gave me a code that gave me a free $10, but not 5 of them. :confused:

They provided free shuttle to the cruise port? Hmm, I may have to look into this if I don't hear back from the other place. I don't really have a budget, I'm just frugal with my money (allows me to cruise more often :D).

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but in the meantime I see you did get confirmation for the other location, glad it worked out for you.

In answer to your question, yes they provided shuttle from the airport and then again to the port. I did have to phone the hotel in advance to reserve the times I wanted but it was a great place to stay.

I am like you with the budget (frugal) always looking to get a good deal while still being comfortable and safe in a clean place.

I have stayed at most of the hotels around the port and they were all fine with the Embassy being the only one I wouldn't rush back to, just wasn't my thing, it was too busy for my liking and to be honest it wasn't that inexpensive. The Courtyard in Plantation was great for a one night stay, I have no complaints at all. If you ever go to Fort Lauderdale again and are comparing places and if it fits all your wants and needs at the time give it a try I hope you will experience the same good experience I had. Have a great trip.

Edited by #55worktoplay

We did a Priceline "mystery resort 4 star" a couple of years ago for a fantastic price and got the Westin Ft Lauderdale beach resort. Great hotel with huge rooms, pool, two towers, ocean front, and walking distance to food and shops. Took us 10/15 minutes by cab to the port.

I figured not much can go wrong with "4 star" and "resort", so I clicked the button and was very happy with the hotel.:D

Edited by Arzeena

I have stayed at most of the hotels around the port and they were all fine with the Embassy being the only one I wouldn't rush back to, just wasn't my thing, it was too busy for my liking and to be honest it wasn't that inexpensive.

I don't think anyone has recommended the ES because it's inexpensive. ;)

Roz

I don't think anyone has recommended the ES because it's inexpensive. ;)

Roz

Yup! It is pretty pricey.

Until I add in the free drinks and breakfast buffet.. and the three sink areas with mirrors it becomes priceless!

We are driving down for first time. Anyone have suggestions of where to park, or are there hotels that offer parking for a fee, like the Radisson in Port Canaveral does?

Thanks for any insight

If you use the search function (top right side of the board) or just scroll down the page you will see lots of threads on this subject. ;)

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

Two sources to check for hotel parking deals include http://www.stay123.com and http://www.parksleepfly.com.

You could stay cheap outside of FLL - West Palm area off of I-95 or even Orlando are easy drives to PE. Parking at PE is convenient and secure; there are a couple of off-site parking operations that are also often suggested. Do your homework on this board and trip advisor.

Have a great cruise! :)

Edited by JohninDC

If I may jump in...we are flying in to Port Everglades on February 19th to cruise out the 20th. Betterbidding.com lists the 4* properties as Hilton, Hyatt Regency and the Renaissance. The price is around $156 for 4*. Can I go wrong with any of these? Looking for a hotel near shops to give us something to do!

I had a heck of a time finding a room for the night for our cruise in March from Pt Everglades. We lived in Miami for the past 23 years so it's not like we're not familiar with the area but most of the places where we've stayed before are already sold out. I found a room for less than $200 at Ft Lauderdale Airport Cruiseport Hotel near the corner of 17th Street and Federal Hwy. (It was called the Comfort Inn back when we used to drive to the port from Miami). We're driving down from South Carolina and the Embassy Suites and Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street are already sold out or they want more than $300 per night. We're parking at the port for the cruise since we don't trust parking at the hotel lots....Port Everglades isn't exactly in the best part of town at night.