Anchorage to Seward train questions

renech

We are doing our first Alaska cruise in early June with another couple. We will fly in 2 days prior to the cruise, but because of work obligations, they will fly into Anchorage 1 day before the cruise and will be taking the train to Seward the morning of the cruise.

I have read a lot of trip reports where people have done this and all was fine, but I wanted to ask any Alaska experts out there if this is risky at all. Is the train ever delayed to the point of making it difficult to board a cruise in time?

Also, I've read about the differences in the Adventure class and the Goldstar class on the train. It seems most people are happy with either, but is there anyone who has done both? Do you think the Goldstar experience was worth an extra $100 pp?

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I get more into planning this trip!

We're doing the Anchorage to Seward train in June ourselves. Since the drive time between the two places is only a few hours, I think Alaska Railroad would still be able to get you there even if they had some major issue.

We've decide the extra $100 is not worth it for us. It's only a 4 hour or so train ride and with just a breakfast meal, we can bring our own of pay the ala carte price if we decide to eat on the train. I don't necessarily want two drinks that early in the morning (bloody mary's and mimosas come to mind), but if I change my mind, I cant see the price difference being worth it.

Nadine

YMMV

We're doing the Anchorage to Seward train in June ourselves. Since the drive time between the two places is only a few hours, I think Alaska Railroad would still be able to get you there even if they had some major issue.

We've decide the extra $100 is not worth it for us. It's only a 4 hour or so train ride and with just a breakfast meal, we can bring our own of pay the ala carte price if we decide to eat on the train. I don't necessarily want two drinks that early in the morning (bloody mary's and mimosas come to mind), but if I change my mind, I cant see the price difference being worth it.

Nadine

YMMV

All good points. Since this is our first time I thought it would be worth it to splurge a bit if it was truly a nicer experience. I care more about a nice viewing experience than the food or drinks since as you said, it's really not that long a ride.

As an aside... I just noticed that I have an eagle(?) in my signature that I didn't put there. ??? lol

renech: I live in Alaska, and have never heard of the Alaska Railroad being unable to make that scheduled run to Seward in the summer. The highway between Seward and Anchorage is two lane much of the way, and a major car accident can cause delays, but the RR is extremely reliable.

We are doing our first Alaska cruise in early June with another couple. We will fly in 2 days prior to the cruise, but because of work obligations, they will fly into Anchorage 1 day before the cruise and will be taking the train to Seward the morning of the cruise.

I have read a lot of trip reports where people have done this and all was fine, but I wanted to ask any Alaska experts out there if this is risky at all. Is the train ever delayed to the point of making it difficult to board a cruise in time?

Also, I've read about the differences in the Adventure class and the Goldstar class on the train. It seems most people are happy with either, but is there anyone who has done both? Do you think the Goldstar experience was worth an extra $100 pp?

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I get more into planning this trip!

I've done both ways, and I thought the Gold Star service was worth it. --maybe not for a whole family , but for two people just think of it as a four hour excursion. Probably one of the better priced excursions you'll find in Alaska.

Thank you for all the helpful input!

I feel better about the morning-of train trip, and am now leaning towards the Goldstar class.

Now to decide on spending our 2 days in Anchorage or Seward! So many fun things to do and see in both.

I feel better about the morning-of train trip, and am now leaning towards the Goldstar class.

Now to decide on spending our 2 days in Anchorage or Seward! So many fun things to do and see in both.

I would spend more time in Seward.

I went with the cheaper class but there was a dome area we could go into and take turns. The windows were huge in the cheaper class, I think you will be fine with either class.

We are staying at the Sheraton in Anchorage. How easy is it to get a taxi that early in the morning to get to the train depot? I know the walk is not far but don't know if we want to do it with our luggage.

I stayed at Captain Cook and had the hotel call for a taxi. Had no problems.

We are staying at the Sheraton in Anchorage. How easy is it to get a taxi that early in the morning to get to the train depot? I know the walk is not far but don't know if we want to do it with our luggage.

cabs will be available, just call ahead.

You will be happy with your decision about the Goldstar class. There is an open Observation car directly behind the Goldstar car that is really nice if you are a photographer. We hung out there a long time.

09%20-%20Outside%20Observation%20Car-S.jpg

And, a view to the inside from the Observation car:

08%20-%20View%20from%20Outside%20Observation%20Car-S.jpg

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

• 2 weeks later...

Can I jump in and ask some questions as well. We are on a HAL cruise tour and will be in Anchorage the night prior, with the later train to Seward. I believe it said we would board the ship after about 5 pm.

There is no option to bump up to Goldstar class, unfortunately.

The morning in Anchorage....what is interesting to do? We will be at the Westmark. Can we walk to see interesting parts of the city? There are no "excursions" for the day except for a flightseeing trip.

We always stay at the Sheraton. Have never had trouble getting a cab. There are usually two or three parked across the street waiting. We have walked to the train station from the Sheraton. It is not that far but IMO it is not something that you want to do with luggage. Whichever way you go you have to go down a hill.

A wise move. We have taken the train between Anchorage and Seward twice. The scenery is much nicer than on the drive. The Gold Star is well worth it. You have an a al carte dining room down stairs, and full bar service upstairs. (Neither is included in your fare). They make a wonderful bloody mary to start the day.

If you go to Seward the day prior to your trip you will have time for a nice glacier cruise. Anchorage is a great city, but IMO there is much more to do in Seward, unless you are going to take some day trips out of Anchorage, which would require a car. .

Can I jump in and ask some questions as well. We are on a HAL cruise tour and will be in Anchorage the night prior, with the later train to Seward. I believe it said we would board the ship after about 5 pm.

The morning in Anchorage....what is interesting to do? We will be at the Westmark. Can we walk to see interesting parts of the city? There are no "excursions" for the day except for a flightseeing trip.

Anchorage is small and very easy to walk around. Stop at the tourist info cabin to get a walking map. There are lots of historical/informational signs on the walk route.

If I remember correctly HAL uses the Goldstar cars for its train. There are some interesting things in downtown Anchorage but you really don't have that much time. You will need to be at the station around 11:00, which limits your options. I find it a clean safe city, but there is not a lot downtown.

Anchorage is a nice walk around downtown. There are are plenty of gift shops,restaurants(Glacier Brewhouse,F St. Station,Humpies to name a few)

or grab a reindeer sausage sandwich at a street vendor. You can also take the free shuttle from the visitors center to the Ulu factory and depending on the time of year walk along Ships Creek and watch the salmon fishing. I always spend at least 1 or 2 days there when I'm up there in the summer. Have never taken the train because I always drive down to the Kenai Peninsula to either Seward,Cooper Landing,Soldotna, or Homer Spit to go fishing. I would think the drive is just as great as the train.Enjoy your trip.