Help touring Rome with just two people

dickinson

We will be in Rome at the end of our cruise in mid May. I don't know if we will ever be there again so want to see the highlights. I haven't been able to get a group together from my roll call for transport and sightseeing in Rome so will probably take the ship's transport which also takes us to the Vatican. It will drop us off at a train station so we will have to take a cab to our hotel from there.

The next day is our only day left in Rome. How do I find an excursion company that does not charge an arm and a leg for only two people? Any suggestions? Thanks.

You might consider buying a copy "Rick Steve's Rome" which is written for the independent traveler. That book will tell you most of what you need to move around Rome on you own and access the places on your agenda. Otherwise, there are plenty of local tour companies (even Gray Line) that operate daily group tours. If you have any specific questions there are a few of us active on CC that will be glad to help. Just be prepared to do a lot of walking (the best way to see any city). While you can use the Metro to deal with some longer distances....much of Rome involves using your legs. For instance, going between popular places like the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and the Piaza Navona (one of our favorite spots in Rome) is best done by walking.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Group tours waste time and inevitably take you to places you probably wouldn't have gone to on your own, while private tours are completely customized to your taste but very expensive.

You can find a middle ground by laying out what's most important for you to see, then putting together a day that makes sense. Although central Rome is quite walkable, to save time use the money you're not spending on a tour to pay for taxis to maximize your time.

I agree with the above two posters: an expensive private tour isn't needed to see Rome!

The central historic area is very compact. If you are seeing the Vatican on the previous day (??), then you can focus on seeing a little of ancient Rome (Colosseum and perhaps a walk in or at least by the Forum) in the morning and then, after lunch a nice walk can lead you from Campo di Fiori, Largo Argentina, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon and ending at Trevi Fountain.

Yes that is correct. I agree with the others, and it is commonly discussed here...Rome is VERY walkable, as long as you don't have mobility issues. Really only the Vatican is a walking problem, and there are subways, buses and taxis to help out. We have walked Rome for days...and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Ok, an "editorial" announcement. Group tours are like being part of a cattle drive (follow the lead cow with the bell). Private tours can be amazing... but at a price. In Europe that price can be substantial. Doing things on your own is usually (not always) your best value. But DIY means spending some time doing your homework! Many folks do not want to do "homework" and would prefer to spend the bigger bucks to let somebody else do the the thinking, planning, and guiding. That is a good option, but it does come at a price. And if one spends any amount of time in Europe (or goes to many ports), the use of tours versus doing things on your own can be very expensive. We are talking about hundreds of dollars in every port (when compared to full day tours). Multiply that times all your ports, and add the cost of pre-post cruise stays...and the savings to those who DIY can amount to thousands of dollars (especially for a family).

DW and I have been traveling independently for most of our lives. Now that we are in senior years of our lives, we are still able to travel almost anywhere DIY. But we are cognizant that, assuming we live long enough, we will have to trade in our love of DIY for the ease of tours. Personally, I dread when that time comes. In around forty years of extensive DIY travel (to over 100 countries) we have had very few negative experiences. Hang around a shore excursion desk or Guest Relations desk on many cruises and you will hear all kinds of complaints...many of which are about the excursions. Are there good excursions? Absolutely. But there are also many, less then ideal, excursions. When we do something on our own and it is not up to our expectations...we can usually change our itinerary (at the moment) and simply do something else. But when you are on an excursion/tour...you have to stick with the group...for better or worse. We have long preached that the biggest advantage of DIY travel is the flexibility. The first time we went to the ruins at Ephesus was on a Princess Cruises Excursion....and our guide rushed us through those amazing ruins so she could lock us inside a so-called Jewelry Factory. So many on our tour complained....that Princess gave everyone a refund of the excursion price. The 2nd time we went back to those ruins we did it on our own, and spend several hours exploring (and listening to many different group guides tell totally different stories about the same places). That one Princess excursion turned us against organized excursions (at an early age) and turned us into very adventurous independent travelers. As a result, we have spent the last 30+ years exploring the world with nary a regret.

DIY travel does require homework (pre trip preparation) which is not for everyone. But the rewards can be amazing.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We were in Rome 2 nights precruise in December. We stayed at Hotel ****onale which is right in city center and walking distance to everything except the Vatican. We got a lot of information from these boards. Hotel was extremely helpful in getting around, making dinner reservations before we arrived etc. You can basically see all the main sites in one day from this location. Plus my daughter kept me going. 2nd day we went to Vatican for the Pope's blessing Sunday at noon. That was a real treat that we will never forget. Morning of cruise embankment Monday we did a private tour of the Vatican. So worth the money. We learned and saw so much. Rome is so beautiful I want to go back. Enjoy!!!!

Ok, an "editorial" announcement. Group tours are like being part of a cattle drive (follow the lead cow with the bell). Private tours can be amazing... but at a price. In Europe that price can be substantial. Doing things on your own is usually (not always) your best value. But DIY means spending some time doing your homework! Many folks do not want to do "homework" and would prefer to spend the bigger bucks to let somebody else do the the thinking, planning, and guiding. That is a good option, but it does come at a price. And if one spends any amount of time in Europe (or goes to many ports), the use of tours versus doing things on your own can be very expensive. We are talking about hundreds of dollars in every port (when compared to full day tours). Multiply that times all your ports, and add the cost of pre-post cruise stays...and the savings to those who DIY can amount to thousands of dollars (especially for a family).

DW and I have been traveling independently for most of our lives. Now that we are in senior years of our lives, we are still able to travel almost anywhere DIY. But we are cognizant that, assuming we live long enough, we will have to trade in our love of DIY for the ease of tours. Personally, I dread when that time comes. In around forty years of extensive DIY travel (to over 100 countries) we have had very few negative experiences. Hang around a shore excursion desk or Guest Relations desk on many cruises and you will hear all kinds of complaints...many of which are about the excursions. Are there good excursions? Absolutely. But there are also many, less then ideal, excursions. When we do something on our own and it is not up to our expectations...we can usually change our itinerary (at the moment) and simply do something else. But when you are on an excursion/tour...you have to stick with the group...for better or worse. We have long preached that the biggest advantage of DIY travel is the flexibility. The first time we went to the ruins at Ephesus was on a Princess Cruises Excursion....and our guide rushed us through those amazing ruins so she could lock us inside a so-called Jewelry Factory. So many on our tour complained....that Princess gave everyone a refund of the excursion price. The 2nd time we went back to those ruins we did it on our own, and spend several hours exploring (and listening to many different group guides tell totally different stories about the same places). That one Princess excursion turned us against organized excursions (at an early age) and turned us into very adventurous independent travelers. As a result, we have spent the last 30+ years exploring the world with nary a regret.

DIY travel does require homework (pre trip preparation) which is not for everyone. But the rewards can be amazing.

Hank

Thank you, Hank, for your perspective. It is most appreciated.

Thanks all! We are staying at the Hotel Lancelot which is right by the Pantheon. It sounds like we can just walk from there to see the Forum, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, etc. Is that correct?

All of Rome is walkable - the way I did it was to divide the city up into sections - easily done by glancing at a map and deciding which areas to tackle, i.e., how much per day, and then get to it.

Hopefully part of the etc., in your etc., is Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Vatican/Sistine Chapel or both, The Forum (!!), wait I can't remember how many days you are there, maybe I am adding too much.

I agree with the guidebook only I prefer other books by Lonely Planet, Eyewitness Guides & Rough Guides. I used Eyewitness Italy to plan most of Italy pre-trip and then used a Rough Guide for Rome once there for any adjusting once there. I used Streetwise laminated maps - I just like to have something slightly larger than the phone sometime. Nothing again RS guides, I just prefer these books way better although I ran into someone at dinner in Rome that was switching their RS recommended hotel! Hotels can be difficult - choosing attractions is quite another thing.

You can preview guides online with some of the content available to view - see what you like!

One thing is certain - you'll love Rome - see as much as you can, without rushing around too much so you can absorb this truly captivating, historic and magnificent city and it's offerings.

I took a summer school course in Rome while I was in university and spent 5 weeks there. It was a classics course and basically involved touring all the main sites with a Professor as our guide. Saw a lot but still did not see it all. Have been back a few times but never with more than a few days. My 2 cents is to do it on your own. Planning is the key. If you want to tour the Vatican museum or the Colosseum just be aware that these eat up a lot of time. So if you want to cover a lot I would keep that in mind. If the Sistine Chapel is on your bucket list then try and plan this to take the least amount of time. You can find out the best times to go and prebuy tickets. Hope you have fun

All of Rome is walkable - the way I did it was to divide the city up into sections - easily done by glancing at a map and deciding which areas to tackle, i.e., how much per day, and then get to it.

Hopefully part of the etc., in your etc., is Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Vatican/Sistine Chapel or both, The Forum (!!), wait I can't remember how many days you are there, maybe I am adding too much.

I agree with the guidebook only I prefer other books by Lonely Planet, Eyewitness Guides & Rough Guides. I used Eyewitness Italy to plan most of Italy pre-trip and then used a Rough Guide for Rome once there for any adjusting once there. I used Streetwise laminated maps - I just like to have something slightly larger than the phone sometime. Nothing again RS guides, I just prefer these books way better although I ran into someone at dinner in Rome that was switching their RS recommended hotel! Hotels can be difficult - choosing attractions is quite another thing.

You can preview guides online with some of the content available to view - see what you like!

One thing is certain - you'll love Rome - see as much as you can, without rushing around too much so you can absorb this truly captivating, historic and magnificent city and it's offerings.

Thanks! On debarkation morning we will probably be doing a ship excursion-transfer that takes us to the Vatican with a guide. It will drop us off at the train station. I assume from there we can get a cab to our hotel. The next day is our only day of touring ourselves. It appears we will just walk it ourselves. We plan to go to where you suggested plus the Trevi Fountain. Hopefully this is all doable in one day. Better not rain on our parade!

there is a bus line that does many of the major sights..think its #63...better than metro as you can see as you travel...Hop on Hop off good too but can get really busy. watch for pick pockets on the bus as it is full of tourists and thus a target
I think you mean the #64 bus, which travels between Termini Station and the San Pietro train station, near the Vatican. Most of the route is along Via ****onale and Corso Emanuelle II. Along the way there are stops near Trajan's market, Piazza Venezia (Vittoriano monument, Campidoglio, etc.), Gesu, the Pantheon, Campo de'Fiori, Piazza Navona, and St. Peter's basilica.

Route map here: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=64&percorso=64AT

You can hit almost all of these same stops using the express bus that follows much of the same route, #40, but it does not go all the way to St. Peter's. Instead this one ends at Castel Sant'Angelo. Route map here: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=40&percorso=40A

Edited by euro cruiser

Although I don't have as much experience as others, here's another thought/idea. We love doing things on our own or with private tour operators and do not care for the ships' excursions. There are some companies, however, that do some pretty good small group tours, that might be worthwhile for you, as well. We've used Angel Tours a few times - as I recall, they have an evening walking tour that's a great orientation of the highlights of the city. It's very reasonable and they do limit their group size. It could be a good option for that first night as a quick way to get acquainted with some of the sights. We have also done a small group tour of the Colosseum with them - the advantage here is not having to wait in the line and having the guide explain what you are seeing. After that, all the other places on your list are so easily doable by walking.

I'm also a huge fan of food tours, and we've done them in most of the cities we have visited. One of the best ones we have done was in Rome a few years ago. It was an evening tour and not only did we get a chance to sample lots of good food and wine, but it also ended up being a really good, fun and informative walking tour (about four hours) of the highlights of the city.

If mobility isn't an issue, we also love bike tours. We've done a couple in Rome (and in many other cities), both of which were just us and the guide, and they were extremely reasonable. Biking is a great way to see a city as you can cover a lot of ground and get to places that the tour busses can't get to.

Finally, someone mentioned the HO-HO busses. I know that a lot of people love them, but we found it awful in Rome, and I'd never do another. After getting off at a stop or two to explore, we spent far more time trying to find our way to the stop and then making sure that it was the stop for the CORRECT bus.

Although I don't have as much experience as others, here's another thought/idea. We love doing things on our own or with private tour operators and do not care for the ships' excursions. There are some companies, however, that do some pretty good small group tours, that might be worthwhile for you, as well. We've used Angel Tours a few times - as I recall, they have an evening walking tour that's a great orientation of the highlights of the city. It's very reasonable and they do limit their group size. It could be a good option for that first night as a quick way to get acquainted with some of the sights. We have also done a small group tour of the Colosseum with them - the advantage here is not having to wait in the line and having the guide explain what you are seeing. After that, all the other places on your list are so easily doable by walking.

I'm also a huge fan of food tours, and we've done them in most of the cities we have visited. One of the best ones we have done was in Rome a few years ago. It was an evening tour and not only did we get a chance to sample lots of good food and wine, but it also ended up being a really good, fun and informative walking tour (about four hours) of the highlights of the city.

If mobility isn't an issue, we also love bike tours. We've done a couple in Rome (and in many other cities), both of which were just us and the guide, and they were extremely reasonable. Biking is a great way to see a city as you can cover a lot of ground and get to places that the tour busses can't get to.

Finally, someone mentioned the HO-HO busses. I know that a lot of people love them, but we found it awful in Rome, and I'd never do another. After getting off at a stop or two to explore, we spent far more time trying to find our way to the stop and then making sure that it was the stop for the CORRECT bus.

Thank you so much for your recommendation of Angel Tours. I will consider them for the Colosseum as they seem reasonable in price. This is the kind of thing I have been looking for.

I agree with the above two posters: an expensive private tour isn't needed to see Rome!

The central historic area is very compact. If you are seeing the Vatican on the previous day (??), then you can focus on seeing a little of ancient Rome (Colosseum and perhaps a walk in or at least by the Forum) in the morning and then, after lunch a nice walk can lead you from Campo di Fiori, Largo Argentina, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon and ending at Trevi Fountain.

I totally agree, as usual.

If you want to "do the highlights", it is extremely easy to DIY and walk. The Centro Storico is, as cruisemom42 says, very compact. All those who have to have those private tours in the mini busses and sedans are a nuisance - the drivers jockeying to get their clients as close as possible, the clients mindlessly opening doors without looking around - I've been almost knocked down by these folks a few times. The HoHo bus in Rome is pretty worthless - you don't get up close, the stops are crowded and you may have to wait several busses to find one with an open seat. I took one only because I was not feeling very well that day but I wanted to be out and about.

As much as I do not like Rick Steves, his walking tour guide for Rome is pretty good.

One thing - you said your hotel, Hotel Lancelot, is by the Pantheon. I see it on the far side of the Colosseum, not by the Pantheon. Looks to be about a half hour walk to the Pantheon. But, as long as you know that, look at Google Maps and you can plot out a good walking tour by plugging in Steves' stuff.

In my opinion (based on multiple solo trips to Rome), the best way to see Rome is to walk, at your own pace, on your own time schedule ;)

I totally agree, as usual.

If you want to "do the highlights", it is extremely easy to DIY and walk. The Centro Storico is, as cruisemom42 says, very compact. All those who have to have those private tours in the mini busses and sedans are a nuisance - the drivers jockeying to get their clients as close as possible, the clients mindlessly opening doors without looking around - I've been almost knocked down by these folks a few times. The HoHo bus in Rome is pretty worthless - you don't get up close, the stops are crowded and you may have to wait several busses to find one with an open seat. I took one only because I was not feeling very well that day but I wanted to be out and about.

As much as I do not like Rick Steves, his walking tour guide for Rome is pretty good.

One thing - you said your hotel, Hotel Lancelot, is by the Pantheon. I see it on the far side of the Colosseum, not by the Pantheon. Looks to be about a half hour walk to the Pantheon. But, as long as you know that, look at Google Maps and you can plot out a good walking tour by plugging in Steves' stuff.

In my opinion (based on multiple solo trips to Rome), the best way to see Rome is to walk, at your own pace, on your own time schedule ;)

Thanks! I saw a map the other day and realized I was wrong. It is by the Colosseum.

Thanks all! We are staying at the Hotel Lancelot which is right by the Pantheon. It sounds like we can just walk from there to see the Forum, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, etc. Is that correct?

About as centrally located as one can be.

I would suggest to not be intimidated by Rome's extensive city bus system to get around. While the advice that the old parts of Rome are best seen on foot is absolutely true, one may want to limit the total amount of walking as to save their feet a little grief.

For example, there is a bus(#81) that leaves from right near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona that takes one to the Colosseum/Palatine Hill/Forum area. There is also another bus(#85) that can be caught from the Forum/Trajan's Market area on Via dei Fori Imperiali up to the Trevi fountain where one can then opt to walk back towards the Pantheon.

All of the walking adds up, and some may decide that the walking might be better spent at the sites like the Palatine Hill/Forum etc. or down the more interesting pedestrian thoroughfares in Centro Storico.

Individual bus tickets(time-stamped on board) can be easily purchased at newsstands.

The Metro is essentially worthless for exploring the center, rather it's only real convenience for tourists is getting to/from the Vatican and the Colosseum.

Here's a LINK with some general useful info about the bus...

And here is the LINK to the city bus map and the LINK for the Rome Bus website -- where one can look up individual routes.

Edited by Skai

About as centrally located as one can be.

I would suggest to not be intimidated by Rome's extensive city bus system to get around. While the advice that the old parts of Rome are best seen on foot is absolutely true, one may want to limit the total amount of walking as to save their feet a little grief.

For example, there is a bus(#81) that leaves from right near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona that takes one to the Colosseum/Palatine Hill/Forum area. There is also another bus(#85) that can be caught from the Forum/Trajan's Market area on Via dei Fori Imperiali up to the Trevi fountain where one can then opt to walk back towards the Pantheon.

All of the walking adds up, and some may decide that the walking might be better spent at the sites like the Palatine Hill/Forum etc. or down the more interesting pedestrian thoroughfares in Centro Storico.

Individual bus tickets(time-stamped on board) can be easily purchased at newsstands.

The Metro is essentially worthless for exploring the center, rather it's only real convenience for tourists is getting to/from the Vatican and the Colosseum.

Here's a LINK with some general useful info about the bus...

And here is the LINK to the city bus map and the LINK for the Rome Bus website -- where one can look up individual routes.

Thanks for the info although I made a mistake. We are staying near the Colosseum.

You have received some excellent advice.

Someone had mentioned Rick Steves. Although I am not a big fan of his guide books, I am a huge fan of his audio guides as a resource for DIY. We have used most of the Italy ones on our two previous visits. The quality is excellent and they are free.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours

We have easily done all of the sights you mention by walking, except for the Vatican. Our apartment was on Piazza Navona. Is it too late to change your hotel? You may want to consider something closer to the historic center where you can be truly immersed in the heart of this magical city. One of our favorite things is to just wander out at night and enjoy a gelato or coffee. The fountains and plazas are just gorgeous in the dark.

Also, IMHO, there is no need to book a tour of the Colosseum unless the Angel Tour incudes the Third Ring and Underground (which are not part of a general admittance ticket). You can pre-purchase your ticket online directly from the Colosseum website - that line is usually much shorter.

Here's another resource that I have found helpful:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187791-i22-Rome_Lazio.html

We will be visiting Rome again in a few months and can't wait to explore this beautiful city again.

Happy planning!