Time in Glacier Bay question

Wolfhunt

Going to be on Crown Princess next week and was wondering about the time in Glacier Bay.

We are currently scheduled to be there from 11am -7:30pm. Is that the time to enter, go to the glacier viewing areas, then come back out or just the time to get to and view Glaciers?

Going to be on Crown Princess next week and was wondering about the time in Glacier Bay.

We are currently scheduled to be there from 11am -7:30pm. Is that the time to enter, go to the glacier viewing areas, then come back out or just the time to get to and view Glaciers?

11am is probably the time you'll pass into the waters of Glacier Bay National Park, and 7:30 is when you'll return into whatever waters sit just outside GBNP (not sure if it's technically the Pacific Ocean or some more specific body of water). During your time inside GBNP, the ship will ideally go to two different glaciers, though it could be just one, and the ship will turn one side to face the glaciers for about 30 minutes, then use its thrusters to pirouette to put the other side facing the glaciers for 20-30 minutes.

The relatively narrow mouth of the waters entering GBNP do create an ideal place to see whales, so if that's your thing, I'd make sure to attend any of the naturalist's lectures to get specific times from them (they may know certain unique aspects of your particular voyage which may skew the ideal times one way or another), and where they'll be. For whale viewing, you probably want to be on the forward promenade deck (technically deck 8, though accessible from deck 7 and exterior stairs usually) near the bow (for best ability to see both sides). Go early if you can and stake out a good spot, wearing clothes that'll protect you from the guaranteed winds.

It is your total time in Glacier Bay, from entrance to exit, there are a number of glaciers that your will see there....but its not all glaciers either.

11am is probably the time you'll pass into the waters of Glacier Bay National Park, and 7:30 is when you'll return into whatever waters sit just outside GBNP (not sure if it's technically the Pacific Ocean or some more specific body of water). During your time inside GBNP, the ship will ideally go to two different glaciers, though it could be just one, and the ship will turn one side to face the glaciers for about 30 minutes, then use its thrusters to pirouette to put the other side facing the glaciers for 20-30 minutes.

The relatively narrow mouth of the waters entering GBNP do create an ideal place to see whales, so if that's your thing, I'd make sure to attend any of the naturalist's lectures to get specific times from them (they may know certain unique aspects of your particular voyage which may skew the ideal times one way or another), and where they'll be. For whale viewing, you probably want to be on the forward promenade deck (technically deck 8, though accessible from deck 7 and exterior stairs usually) near the bow (for best ability to see both sides). Go early if you can and stake out a good spot, wearing clothes that'll protect you from the guaranteed winds.

Thank you. Pretty sure my camera is going to get a good workout that day.

They'll pick up 3 or 4 NP Rangers about an hour or so before you reach the Glacier, they set up a table somewhere on the Lido deck, they have alot of interesting books and maps etc. with them. You'll only be at the face of the glacier about 2 hours. The Captain will stop the ship and slowly turn the ship 360 degrees and then slowly move to next Glacier. Then they will slowly exit Glacier bay, it's interesting to watch the NP Rangers disembark the ship, the NP boat comes along side the cruise ship and they climb down a ladder off the side of the ship, the ship doesn't stop it keeps on moving, I don't think it slowed down.

Our cruise this year we are in Glacier bay on June 8th from 6am to 3pm. 2 years ago in June when we were there it was Sunny and 70 degrees.

Randy

Question ... We have a nice large balcony. Is it necessary to be out on the main decks or will we be able to see most of it from the privacy of our own deck without fighting for a spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Question ... We have a nice large balcony. Is it necessary to be out on the main decks or will we be able to see most of it from the privacy of our own deck without fighting for a spot?

I prefer to be on Deck as you can move around, from side to side.

Try Deck 7 - Promenade. Everyone seems to go up to the top and I prefer the lower perspective and there is no fighting for a spot. You can easily move from side to side or front to back also.

6 of one, half-dozen of another. We've enjoyed glacier viewing from the Sun deck (on Princess) aft of the mid-ship pool. Essentially, if you go far enough aft that you can no longer cross the ship without backtracking, it'll be less crowded, and you'll feel the majestic openness much better than being "trapped" in your balcony.

Most ships will face one side to the glacier (usually port first, in my experience) for about half an hour, and then turn to the other side for half an hour. If you stay on your balcony the whole time, you only get to see the glacier half the time! :eek: As others say, better to be out on deck, at least part of the time.

Most ships will face one side to the glacier (usually port first, in my experience) for about half an hour, and then turn to the other side for half an hour. If you stay on your balcony the whole time, you only get to see the glacier half the time! :eek: As others say, better to be out on deck, at least part of the time.

that is a good idea

This doesn't answer your question. but there is useful information specific to cruise ships on the Glacier Bay NP web site.

( it is one many web sites included in a thread called Helpful Resources, probably on pg 2 or 3 of this forum)

https://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/cruise.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

If you have a good set of binoculars, make sure to spend time viewing the beach area. We spent as much time viewing the grizzlies on the beach as we did the glacier itself. No guarantee of bears of course, but you should always be scanning for wildlife! I doubt anyone saw the bears except for the people around us, who we pointed them out to.

For other's, willing to get the "most" out of this day. :)

the scenic sailing will start at dawn, this is also a wildlife rich area during this time frame.

The Park Rangers and Alaska Geographic naturalists will board the ship from Bartlett Cove, the entrance to Glacier Bay. This is where your "start time" is.

There is wrong information above- it is at least 3 hours before you see glaciers. All will be on the port side- where there will be commentary and references. You will see at least 4 glaciers (it's frequent that people don't bother to see 4).

You certainly can stay on one side of the ship in cabins- but you are missing 50% of the glacier viewing potential, which a lot of people expect to see calving.

The extended time will be at the Margerie and Grand Pacific Glaciers. Ideally it will be 30 minutes a side. But I've been on enough ships to know- not always the case. :)

There isn't commentary on the way out, once you pass Reid Glacier. In Sept. ships can sail the John Hopkins Inlet.

What a lot of people miss- is with ships heading toward Skagway and Juneau, heading east, have a jackpot humpback opportunity on the starboard side, after Bartlett cove. Staying out at least another hour can offer good sighting opportunities.

Glacier Bay, is the easiest place to see sea otters from a cruise ship, easy to spot, frankly- you need the lowest possible viewing- for any wildlife. It is also the only place- if not going to Sitka, for the possibility of puffins on the inside passage.

They'll pick up 3 or 4 NP Rangers about an hour or so before you reach the Glacier, they set up a table somewhere on the Lido deck, they have alot of interesting books and maps etc. with them. You'll only be at the face of the glacier about 2 hours. The Captain will stop the ship and slowly turn the ship 360 degrees and then slowly move to next Glacier. Then they will slowly exit Glacier bay, it's interesting to watch the NP Rangers disembark the ship, the NP boat comes along side the cruise ship and they climb down a ladder off the side of the ship, the ship doesn't stop it keeps on moving, I don't think it slowed down.

Our cruise this year we are in Glacier bay on June 8th from 6am to 3pm. 2 years ago in June when we were there it was Sunny and 70 degrees.

Randy

No- it is at least 3 hours before you get to glaciers from the park entrance at Bartlett Cove. The first one passed will be the Reid on the port side.

the times are at passing Bartlett Cove, the entrance to Glacier Bay. ALL ships pass by 4 glaciers, easily seen if you look for them. It is never "just one". You are one of the people who missed them, since there are two at the end of the Tar Inlet- the Margerie and to the right was the larger Grand Pacific. (which the ship had that extended viewing at.

The waterway to enter Glacier Bay- is Icy Strait.

Thank you so much for the detailed info, Budgetqueen.

I have copied some of this onto my info-sheet that I have put together!

Can I ask for a bit more clarification?

The best opportunity for whale sightings would be on the Starboard, heading INTO the area, at Bartlett Cove?

And, I would love to see some Puffin!

Even though I imagine that it would only be with good binoculars, in this area. If there are any at all. Especially early in the season.

Can you tell us which area around Glacier Bay National Park might be best for looking for Puffin?

When we were on the Grand Princess last year in Glacier Bay, they also posted the times that they would be at Margerie Glacier and one of the other glaciers in the Princess Patters. That would also give you an approximate time for the glaciers that they tend to spend a lot of time at.

Thank you so much for the detailed info, Budgetqueen.

I have copied some of this onto my info-sheet that I have put together!

Can I ask for a bit more clarification?

The best opportunity for whale sightings would be on the Starboard, heading INTO the area, at Bartlett Cove?

And, I would love to see some Puffin!

Even though I imagine that it would only be with good binoculars, in this area. If there are any at all. Especially early in the season.

Can you tell us which area around Glacier Bay National Park might be best for looking for Puffin?

I mentioned, the humpback sightings, -example- which is at Point Adolphus. This is on Icy Strait, NOT in Glacier Bay. It would be on an itinerary that is going to Skagway or Juneau following Glacier Bay. After Bartlett Cove, it is usually seen within an hour. The location is on the starboard side; This "side" reference is - only- in that particular case. Everywhere else, you need to have forward viewing and track from ahead for the most successful whale watching. Going side to side is what I do- outside. I NEVER want my viewing to be anything but clear- no Plexiglas. :) Reason, why my preference is the mid ship wrap promenade type deck. Depending on the time of Glacier Bay, I always extend my time for Icy Strait whale looking, what is just about always seen, since it is so easy is sea otters. Sea Lions aren't too exciting- they are just going to stick their head out of water- briefly. Marine wildlife are only going to be seen in approx the outer third of Glacier, so roughly, the first or last hour. Exception will be harbor seals, who may be hauled out on ice, but the "smart" ones, have the sanctuary of the John Hopkins Inlet, that only opens Sept 1 for cruise ships. I've seen bears and a moose one time on the shore. :) A major jackpot sighting for sea birds.

For puffins- a lot of intensity is needed. At least 10 power binoculars is also essential. You have to be on the constant scan to find them and likely will be spending a lot of time doing so. They are hard to spot open flying, so look in the water, and flying around rookeries. The rookeries have changed over the years, there used to be one right near the Margerie Glacier, but I haven't seen puffins there in a few years. I've seen them the entire distance of the bay, so no "area" that I know of to increase your chances.

=And, I would love to see some Puffin!

That Glacier Bay web site includes 'suggested birding locations' with specific info on puffin colonies.

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/nature/birds.htm

Why not just stay outside the whole time? Run in to get something to eat, etc. but I would think about camping out so you don't miss anything. I've never been there so I don't want to miss anything:D

Thank you so much to everyone for all of this specific info.

I feel like I have been briefed, and we have our binoculars locked, loaded, and ready to go!

One more important "brief". :) :) ALWAYS have those binoculars with you.

I am never without mine. the rare times in the dining room, I have them, at the repeater parties- they're there too. They go around my neck when I leave in the morning (which is usually before 5 am.

• 10 months later...

Randy

if you start at 6 am about what time will it be when you actually get to the first glacier?

if you start at 6 am about what time will it be when you actually get to the first glacier?

This is from the Crown Princess June 8th 2016

About 4:45am you’ll enter Icy Strait, be on deck for good whale watching opportunities

6am the NP Rangers board the ship

9:30am arrive at Margerie Glacier

10:30am depart Margerie Glacier

11:15am arrive at Lamplugh Glacier

12:15pm Depart Lamplugh Glacier

1:00pm Glacier Bay Ranger presentation in the Princess theater

2:00pm Marble Island view

3:00pm NP Ranger disembark

3:15pm Icy Strait good whale watching opportunities