Deciding between 3 cruise lines for Honeymoon

badaboom423

So I'm getting married on January, we're both 24 and we were looking at cruises going to the Western Caribbean. The 3 I found that are on my budget are:

Norwegian Epic (Norwegian Cruise Line)

Carnival Splendor (Carnival Cruise Lines)

MS Nieuw Amsterdam (Holland America Line)

Does anyone have any knowledge on what would be the best one for my honeymoon? Any help would be very appreciated!

Try Holland America if you like seeing people fight over the last bran muffin and enjoy afternoon naps. NCL will have more people near your age but will try to sell you everything not secured to the ship. I understand Carnival has better food and an interesting party atmosphere. Have your own party then join theirs and bring home some great memories.

People have a good time on all three. I'd steer you away from Holland America at your age. NCL isn't our favorite cruise line, but many people enjoy it. I'd actually recommend looking at some of the eastern Caribbean itineraries and seeing if there's a Princess or Royal Caribbean ship offering something for your dates as well.

So I'm getting married on January, we're both 24 and we were looking at cruises going to the Western Caribbean. The 3 I found that are on my budget are:

Does anyone have any knowledge on what would be the best one for my honeymoon? Any help would be very appreciated!

I have been on Carnival & Norwegian Epic but not Holland America. For your age I would suggest Norwegian Epic because I think they have more amenities to offer your age group. White Hot Dance Parties, The Ice Bar, BMG, Sushi, Second City Comedy, Cirque, Legends. So much to name. I don't think you could get bored.

Are you absolutely set on the Western Caribbean. The brand new Regal Princess does a 7-night Southern Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale, Florida with balcony cabins running around $949. This is a really gorgeous ship and Princess is a nice combination of elegance and on board activities.

Out of the three you listed probably Epic is the most suitable, but, NCL often gets mixed reviews on service. Carnival too has a youthful vibe. Holland America Line is a traditional line with elegance, great food and excellent service. The ships are really beautiful but, they can be very quiet at night.

If you were to book an ocean view cabin there are some attractive prices with Royal Caribbean which would be perfect for you. These ships are beautiful with a wonderful youthful vibe and energy. If you can find the right price Royal Caribbean is the best of the bunch.

Jonathan

Since it's for your honeymoon, the quietness of HAL may not be a bad thing. Just know that the HAL customer is much older than you, like in their 70s. :D

But I agree with a poster above, why don't you look at Eastern itins? I think those islands are more "romantic", look more lovely, and a little off the beaten path. I loved Trunk Bay on St John. That port would be at St Thomas and you take a ferry over to St John.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

What are the itineraries for each of the three above. That could be a deciding factor.

LuLu

Welcome to Cruiser Critic and congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Not sure your age but if you are in your 20's or early 30's I would skip Holland.

Also, take a look at RCI if you have not.

I would also ask about this on the Honeymoon Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=31

Keith

We've done Western, Eastern, and Southern Caribbean cruises and have cruised on 6 different lines including Carnival, RCCL, Princess, and HAL - all but NCL of lines mentioned be the previous posters.

I would agree with the posters saying check out Eastern Caribbean itineraries - more scenic/romantic stops than Western. Southern will have more sea days which we love but some don't. I'd think sea days would be great for some private honeymoon time rather than the go-go-go which port intensive itineraries can be. Not that at 24 it'd wear you out but rather thinking some quiet couple time would be great, too.

I'd recommend either RCCL or Princess - RCCL if you want a more activity-based cruise and Princess if you'd want a bit more of a quiet, service-based experience.

And be sure to check out the spas if you like spa treatments. A couples massage, while a ding to the budget, can be a great honeymoon (or any cruise) treat. We're taking our 40th anniversary cruise next year and we still always do at least one couples massage every cruise.

Whichever you decide on just relax, go with the flow, and enjoy being on a cruise and beginning your life together. What could be better! In fact, we sent my son and his bride on an Alaska cruise for their honeymoon and the only bad thing was we didn't go with them! ;- )

I would suggest checking out Celebrity. A little more upscale, best food (IMHO) and if you book by July 31 they throw in a selection from their 123Go promotion of either a liquor package, gratuities or OBC (if you drink take the drink package). Their price may be higher to start but in the long run you come out ahead. Also remember that after you book to continuously check the prices looking for a drop and call it in to either your agent or the cruise line to get the better, lower price. What it is today will most often change before final payment but YOU have to take charge. It's your honeymoon - book at least a balcony. Good luck and congratulations.

The answer depends on what you like to do. Do you enjoy party games and loud music around the pool? Or do you like to relax in the sun and maybe read a book or listen to your IPod? Would you like to be a contestant in the Newlywed game, sing karaoke , dance at the disco, eat dinner at the buffet while wearing your shorts, and buy the souvenir drink of the day to save the glass? Or do you prefer Broadway style showtunes, a piano bar, going to bed at 11, and dressing up for a four course dinner served with fine wine?

What some people love about a particular cruise line or ship, others might hate. So the answer depends on how you enjoy spending your time. You can get alot of information about the different ships by reading the ship reviews by cruise critic members. Don't pay too much attention to reviews that say everything was perfect, or everything was terrible. Read a bunch of reviews and you will be able to discern the common themes for each ship.

Also consider how important the ports are to you. If you plan to spend most of your time on the ship, then you want one with alot of activities and venues. Or if you want to explore the islands, then you might base your decision on the itinerary.

Just spending abit of time reading the ship reviews, and the ports reviews will help you decide which would be the best fit for you. Then you can alway ask more specific questions to clarify what you need to know. Good luck and congratulations.

For your age group, I would also suggest doing an Eastern or Southern cruise instead of a Western, as ports would be much nicer. And going with RCI on either their Freedom or Voyager class ships. The Oasis class ships are even nicer but may cost more money.

NCL, Epic would also be nice for your age group too.

Try Holland America if you like seeing people fight over the last bran muffin and enjoy afternoon naps. NCL will have more people near your age but will try to sell you everything not secured to the ship. I understand Carnival has better food and an interesting party atmosphere. Have your own party then join theirs and bring home some great memories.

Completely agree. My husband and I did a Holland America cruise for our delayed honeymoon over Christmas ( I was 23 and he was 24 at the time) because it made the most sense timing wise ( Friday to Friday cruise) which worked best with his leave block from the military. We have cruised Royal Caribbean before and will continue to do so. We may check out Carnival at some point though. We aren't big drinkers/partiers, but we do enjoy having a drink by the pool / after dinner or whatever, and that was not as common on HAL. There also didn't seem to be as many chairs on the pool deck, and in my opinion the food wasn't quite up to par with what I had seen on Royal.