Spiriting Venice to Istanbul now

duct tape

Our journey continues but for the sake of the new kids on board, I thought a new thread would be appropriate. After 2 glorious days in Venice, we sailed last evening from San Basilio @ 10 PM. Capt. Zanello has gone on holiday and Capt. Pontillo is now at the helm. Busy evening, after the Life Boat Drill there was A Taste of Things to Come with our pro tem CD, Rob. Then the CC M&M, attended by grandmaof3, RosePark, duct tape and alas, no Gourmetgal. She did arrive as you can see from another thread. We will catch up eventually. Then the In-Transit Party. Boarded 480 yesterday with 23 in-transit. Almost full again.

Ravenna again today to see all of the beautiful mosaics we missed last week. Weather continues to be perfect. Formal Captain's Welcome this evening. This is a 10 day cruise so the normal dress code has returned. Later.

Yes, life is good and I am grateful. Hvar today. Need to go into town for some more of their yummy shellfish. It is such a nice port in which to have a walk about. Ravenna yesterday to see the mosaics we missed last week. Stunning. Captain's Welcome Party last evening, very well attended and most folks dressed appropriately, some not so much. The new menu will be discussed for a long time, but suffice it to say we have fresh fish daily. Another benefit to being in this part of the world. Overcast skies but 22/72 with no wind.

Edited by duct tape

Yes, life is good and I am grateful. Hvar today. Need to go into town for some more of their yummy shellfish. It is such a nice port in which to have a walk about. Ravenna yesterday to see the mosaics we missed last week. Stunning. Captain's Welcome Party last evening, very well attended and most folks dressed appropriately, some not so much. The new menu will be discussed for a long time, but suffice it to say we have fresh fish daily. Another benefit to being in this part of the world. Overcast skies but 22/72 with no wind.

YES, appreciate these details and posting from duct tape. While we have visited Venice, Dubrovnik and Kotor, there are many other key locations, such as Ravenna and Hvar, that we would like to see and do along this scenic coast. Keep up the great sharing!!

Love to hear more for how they do the supplying of fresh fish served on the ship. Is that picked up in each port daily? Or, was it loaded on the ship at the start of the cruise?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,008 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Kotor, Montenegro, today. It is a breath taking venue with the sheer mountains right down to the water and verdant hills on the other shore. Windy, overcast but warm. What is not to like?

What's not to like? The fact that we're not there with you, for starters! :)

Keep enjoying this beautiful part of the world.

The sail-in/out of Kotor remains on the list of World's 10 Best!

spinnaker2: Agreed. Just breathtakingly beautiful.

Randyk47: Also agree. We've done it three times on the Wind and Spirit in the last four years and love it.

YES!!!! times four for agreeing on the beauty and spectacular location in and around Kotor. Hope duct tape does not mind' date=' but below are just two of my pictures as [b']"photo evidence" [/b]to prove it for those who have not yet been there. Or, bring back nice memories for those from having earlier visits to Kotor. Many more pictures and details on the posting connected below.

Keep up the great sharing from this journey to Istanbul.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 24,917 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

This high and wide view of Kotor shows the overall area, including the Bay of Kotor. It is one of the most indented parts of the Adriatic Sea. This bay is sometimes called the southern-most fjord in Europe. It is actually a submerged river canyon. Kotor has seen a significant increase in tourism, attracted by the Gulf’s natural beauty and the old town of Kotor that is a World Heritage Site. This view is from 4000’ high above Kotor:

KotorHigherWiderOverview.jpg

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. Near Perast there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

Broken record here...another glorious day in Corfu, Greece. Any one remember Tracy & Hepburn in one of their movies...Corfu will not ring tonight??

Is there a bad port on that itinerary? :) I'm so glad we've been there done that. Great memories of some magical countries, ports, and sites. :)

Actually, Katakalon is not one of my favorites. Once you are familiar with Olympia, on multiple visits, nothing else to do. Tavernas line the waterfront but have never found a good one! Poor me [emoji6].

A new group of singers arrived recently. I am encouraged. When this new (to me) company started sending "talent" it was very disappointing on the Cloud and the Shadow. The group that just left the Spirit was a treat, friendly, talented and flexible. The newest iteration is also very talented. They did a show last evening, Paradise Lounge, that was clever and original and blew my socks off! Maybe the cosmos has finally aligned in our favor!

Edited by duct tape

OK.....maybe Katakalon isn't one of the greatest. :o:) First time we stopped there we went to Olympia which was interesting, especially the museum. Subsequent visits we treated it as sea day and just relaxed on the ship. Considering we have something like 60 days in the Med on the Wind and Spirit over the past three years and only three or four sea days a break is sometimes welcome.

Special thanks to duct tape and thanks to Spinnaker2, Brimary, Randyk47, TLCOhio for your glowing comments on the Kotor sail in. We booked the Wind next October--2628 (Rome to Venice) and 2629 (Venice to Rome (incl's Kotor)) today, in part because your fawned so well over Kotor.

These port intensive cruises are exhausting! [emoji6]6 weeks without a sea day is not in my nature. That is why we named our breaks Virtual Sea Days.

Santorini today. Lunch ashore and back into the pool. Perfect weather continues.

Venetian Party last evening. Lots and lots of days in the room, >20,000!

Saw it yesterday! Have a good trip.

I was just asked if the Syrian refugee issue was causing us any changes. Yes, we were to go to Lesbos tomorrow but there is so much going on there right now, we are going to Limnos instead.

Kusadasi today. Fernando should be here! Lots of folks and crew off to Ephesus.

Limnos was a pleasant surprise. I imagine the season is over. Lots of shops, houses, hotels all locked up and winterized. Took a taxi to Manos, on the beach. Highly recommended. The prettiest, freshest, tastiest Greek salad I have ever had. True. 5 euros! Nice beach, full of locals and families enjoying the day.

Istanbul tomorrow.

Limnos was a pleasant surprise. I imagine the season is over. Lots of shops, houses, hotels all locked up and winterized. Took a taxi to Manos, on the beach. Highly recommended. The prettiest, freshest, tastiest Greek salad I have ever had. True. 5 euros! Nice beach, full of locals and families enjoying the day. Istanbul tomorrow.

Appreciate your continued good updates and details. Look forward to learning your current views and impressions about Istanbul. That is one of our most favorite, unique and amazing cities. BUT, with evolving politics and other "issues" going on in that town/country, am interesting in your impressions, impacts seen, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 121,293 views for this posting.