La Reserve - Vegetarian Option?

PirateShark

It is one of 3 fixed menues, You have the choice of sitting in on any one of the 3. All guests are served the same courses, there is no choice or oprion for an individual . its a take it or leave it. It is not like the dining room where you can order different things

It is one of 3 fixed menues, You have the choice of sitting in on any one of the 3. All guests are served the same courses, there is no choice or oprion for an individual . its a take it or leave it. It is not like the dining room where you can order different things

Thanks Hawaiidan. I just thought I'd check because, as you may know, many of the finer restaurants in SF and Napa do have a vegetarian Prix Fixe along with the regular Prix Fixe and will do a wine pairing with them. Sigh...

The menus are not as fixed as Hawaiidan reports. DW has coeliac disease, requiring a truly gluten free diet. The chef for La Reserve was happy to alter dishes and/or provide a completely unique dish to meet DW's dietary restriction. Each course was as unique and tasty as the courses served to everyone else.

Bravo Oceania!

Reposting, hoping to get answer please:

We are not wine drinkers but love great food, but it should fabulous and definitely better than Carnival!;):D Will we still like it? Also, how much in advance can you make a reservation and do they have only one time or several nights? Thank you!

Reposting, hoping to get answer please:

We are not wine drinkers but love great food, but it should fabulous and definitely better than Carnival!;):D Will we still like it? Also, how much in advance can you make a reservation and do they have only one time or several nights? Thank you!

Our cruise is in May & we could book in Sept maybe earlier I did not look

Check in the already booked section

Did you look at the menus??

Only you will know if you will like the food

They may show a couple of nights for booking but they probably will add more once they see if they have a need for more

Just looked at our cruise there are 1 for each menu in the 1st 7 days of a 16 day cruise ...so I would think if they are popular they will add more dates

I don't think you can change every course, however if you can't eat one dish they will bring you something else. Also book as soon as you can, it's on the high side but worth every cent. We booked it already for the cruise in June 2014.

Rick

I would not book La Reserve if I didn't enjoy wine or did not drink it, these are wine pairing dinners, the emphasis is definitely on the wine. Don't get me wrong The food is excellent but it was selected because it pairs well with the wine that it accompanies. Courses are numerous and delicious but small, I think it would be somewhat annoying to partake without the wines, not to mention the fact that it is often less than enjoyable to be stone cold sober as your table mates become increasingly well lubricated.

La reserve dinners can be purchased on-line after full payment and possibly even before. They usually open one dinner of each menu and then open more as those dinners fill up.

I recently ordered a brochure from Oceania, which contains sample menus from all their dining venues. Unfortunately, as a vegetarian, I am rather turned off by the lack of vegetarian choices on all the sample menus. It's as though Oceania doesn't even try to acknowledge vegetarians as a group.

I wonder if their chefs are more creative and accommodating on board. Any feedback on the quality and variety of their vegetarian choices - in their MDR as well as specialty restaurants - are greatly appreciated.

(I've sailed almost exclusively on Seabourn so far and would like to give Oceania a try next year. FYI, on Seabourn, their MDR menu has a separate section for vegetarians, with several choices for each course. The menu changes daily; on my last 25-day cruise, there were no repeats, and everything was always delicious. Also, for dessert lovers, they only use a vegan gelatin substitute, so all their "normal, non special-ordered" dessert items are vegetarian - albeit not vegan - friendly. Of course, you can special order anything you want.)

My guess would be that given the average age on O they are not asked for

totally (down to gelatin) vegetarian to always have a separate menu.

In my long lifetime the only vegetarians I ever knew, before my two young grand daughters and their friends, were folks who ate only Kosher and therefore ate vegetarian at times when they could not eat Kosher. Times have changed and I know there are lots of vegetarian folks out there but maybe not enough on O to deal with them except on a one-on-one basis. I would suggest before you book you speak directly to Oceania.

I recently ordered a brochure from Oceania, which contains sample menus from all their dining venues. Unfortunately, as a vegetarian, I am rather turned off by the lack of vegetarian choices on all the sample menus. It's as though Oceania doesn't even try to acknowledge vegetarians as a group.

I agree talk to Oceania before your book

They do offer vegetarian choices but if your require vegan meals you are best to have your TA or Oceania put it in your file

You need to contact special services a few months before the cruise so they can have the proper food available on your sailing

What special diets are available on the ships?

Special arrangements can be made if you require Diabetic, Gluten-free, Lactose-free, Kosher, Vegetarian and Vegan. Other diets must be requested for approval and, in some cases, may require additional medical documentation.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx

I understand your disappointment.

But the smaller ships are smaller! I cannot imagine where they could fit in a space for La Reserve on the smaller ships.

Then again, they are working on making the buffet on the "R" ships more like the buffet on the "O" ships, so maybe they will find a way (some day) for La Reserve on the "R" ships.

This indeed is one big advantage the "O" ships have -- more dining options.

Mura

I wonder if their chefs are more creative and accommodating on board. Any feedback on the quality and variety of their vegetarian choices - in their MDR as well as specialty restaurants - are greatly appreciated.

(I've sailed almost exclusively on Seabourn so far and would like to give Oceania a try next year. FYI, on Seabourn, their MDR menu has a separate section for vegetarians, with several choices for each course. The menu changes daily; on my last 25-day cruise, there were no repeats, and everything was always delicious. Also, for dessert lovers, they only use a vegan gelatin substitute, so all their "normal, non special-ordered" dessert items are vegetarian - albeit not vegan - friendly. Of course, you can special order anything you want.)

I am your polar opposite - totally carnivorous (:D) and thus have not paid much attention to vegetarian options.

However, IIRC, there is always at least one vegetarian option on the menu in the MDR. The fixed choices are limited but perhaps you can be accommodated in a similar way that gluten free dieters are - at least in the MDR..

It's worth investigating.

This thread seems to have become combulated.

It started out with asking for vegetarian options with the La Reserve menus.

That is quite different from the regular restaurants.

GDR always has vegetarian options -- as well as sugar-free, etc., options.

It may be more difficult in the other specialty restaurants but it isn't impossible!

Contact the ship if necessary in advance, or contact the ship when on board. There are many options available. If you are "simply" vegetarian, you can deal with it on board. If you are Vegan or Gluten Free (or with other restrictions), then you should contact Oceania in advance.

Do NOT assume because La Reserve doesn't generally have vegetarian options that there are no vegetarian options at all.

And if you had read the thread carefully you would have seen that even La Reserve DOES give some options. I have to say that this was a surprise to me because we are not vegetarians and so the question ever occurred to us. But it has been answered elsewhere.

Mura

I am a chicken/fish eater so not a vegetarian.

However, in the Terrace Grill, for every meal on our last cruise, there was some sort of vegetarian dish that was REALLY GOOD. Dishes with beans, vegetables, lentils (I know, may actually be a bean), curries, vegetarian dishes in puff pastry (not a favorite of mine). There is a really good ratatouille that I enjoy as much as meat!

I can't tell you about the GDR because I have only been there once on 3 cruises. But it seems to me there is always something on the menu

Good luck!

Archived