Main dining room food compared to Celebrity

TomBeckCruise

Food is very subjective but IMO Azamara's food in the MDR is quite a bit better than Celebrity's. The buffet at Windows cafe is significantly better and the food in the other outside area, the Patio, is pretty good too.

Should you wish to try the speciality restaurants both Prime C (steakhouse) and Aqualina (Mediterranean cuisine) are both superb and carry a supplement of $30 per person.

Hazel , I totally agree with you from the food to posting their thoughts on subjects. To be honest i find the S class ships nice in many ways but running all over the buffet for one thing.

I agree about the buffet. Much more compact on Azamara, but no worse for it. The selection is good. I also find the service at Windows Buffet far superior to Celebrity, both breakfast and lunch. There is always someone on hand whereas it's more DIY on Celebrity, especially for a cup of tea or coffee where you have to help yourself.

One area that has gone downhill on Azamara for me are the burgers on offer at the Patio (Pool Grill) at lunch. Too much filler and a bit tasteless for me. The evening offering of the Aberdeen Angus is worlds apart as is the room service burger. Don't miss The Patio of an evening. Under-utilised at present, but the menu there and atmosphere is really good.

Back to the MDR, a step,up for me on Celebrity and not so frenetic. Avoid the upper tier of the MDR if you can. I find it noisy up there.

I agree about the buffet. Much more compact on Azamara, but no worse for it. The selection is good. I also find the service at Windows Buffet far superior to Celebrity, both breakfast and lunch. There is always someone on hand whereas it's more DIY on Celebrity, especially for a cup of tea or coffee where you have to help yourself.

One area that has gone downhill on Azamara for me are the burgers on offer at the Patio (Pool Grill) at lunch. Too much filler and a bit tasteless for me. The evening offering of the Aberdeen Angus is worlds apart as is the room service burger. Don't miss The Patio of an evening. Under-utilised at present, but the menu there and atmosphere is really good.

Back to the MDR, a step,up for me on Celebrity and not so frenetic. Avoid the upper tier of the MDR if you can. I find it noisy up there.

I have been hearing about this burger for 2 years and have yet to try it.. not a big red meat person but I might give it a go. you mention the upper level on Celebrity ships.. Thank God never been there but on some ships I thought it was now Blu or somehow fancy restaurant.

I have been hearing about this burger for 2 years and have yet to try it.. not a big red meat person but I might give it a go. you mention the upper level on Celebrity ships.. Thank God never been there but on some ships I thought it was now Blu or somehow fancy restaurant.

The new suite only restaurant has been created on one side, taking up part of the floor space and reducing the top level of the MDR to having only one entrance. Yes there is a buzz about the upper deck but I think it creates an atmosphere. The lower deck where the tradional set table dining is, seems to have more spaces in it as more folk opt for Open dining.

Edited by hillsprint

The original question posed regarded the main dining rooms. IMHO, the Discoveries restaurant on Azamara is quite a step up from the main dining room on Celebrity (which was OK). And I will add: The buffet on AZ is way, way better than Celebrity. Celebrity Millenium's buffet was simply a cruise ship buffet, while on AZ the buffet has lots of special touches and lovely service.

Sorry, when I said upper level I meant in the Azamara MDR, in the centre walking up one step. That step up and central location makes a huge difference with the noise level when it's busy.

I've only had two one week cruises on Azamara so am a novice compared to the experts on here, however I have sailed on Celebrity 7 or 8 times too - as well as many times on Royal Caribbean.

We actually haven't eaten all that many times in the MDR on Azamara as the buffet is SO good. We never eat dinner in the buffet on any cruise but chose to do so because of the excellent food and we loved many of the different themes. The atmosphere is also less like a cafeteria than on larger ships

I would say the MDR food is the same or maybe slightly better than Celebrity but found the ambience to bet better, no waiters rushing around and, as we like a table for two, it was nice not to have a table only 2 inches away from the next one.

Our last Azamara cruise was in a suite so we took advantage of the speciality restaurants, which are very good. However, I'm looking forward to eating in the MDR a few more times on our next Azamara cruise but will inevitably end up doing what we did before, which is to take a look at what's on offer on the buffet and decide it looks so delicious that we stay there. Looking forward to trying the Patio too :)

I've only had two one week cruises on Azamara so am a novice compared to the experts on here, however I have sailed on Celebrity 7 or 8 times too - as well as many times on Royal Caribbean.

We actually haven't eaten all that many times in the MDR on Azamara as the buffet is SO good. We never eat dinner in the buffet on any cruise but chose to do so because of the excellent food and we loved many of the different themes. The atmosphere is also less like a cafeteria than on larger ships

I would say the MDR food is the same or maybe slightly better than Celebrity but found the ambience to bet better, no waiters rushing around and, as we like a table for two, it was nice not to have a table only 2 inches away from the next one.

Our last Azamara cruise was in a suite so we took advantage of the speciality restaurants, which are very good. However, I'm looking forward to eating in the MDR a few more times on our next Azamara cruise but will inevitably end up doing what we did before, which is to take a look at what's on offer on the buffet and decide it looks so delicious that we stay there. Looking forward to trying the Patio too :)

I agree Bobal, had never had dinner in the buffet until I had sailed with Azamara but for me the food offered there on Italian night is mouthwatering and I try never to miss it. Friends also eulogise about the Indian night, they think the food is outstanding.

Sorry, when I said upper level I meant in the Azamara MDR, in the centre walking up one step. That step up and central location makes a huge difference with the noise level when it's busy.[/quote

Thank you for clarifing this. i realize it is a but higher but do not look at it as upper level like on Celebrity or other large ships. I only been there once or twice. Guess I have been lucky on that front.

]

I agree Bobal, had never had dinner in the buffet until I had sailed with Azamara but for me the food offered there on Italian night is mouthwatering and I try never to miss it. Friends also eulogise about the Indian night, they think the food is outstanding.

Indian night my favorite in the buffet then Greek. before Tapas i would stop by the Buffet some nights for a starter than shower and go to dinner. On any Asian night there still a chance i will show up.

The patio- Did not go back in June but will at some point. i felt it looked more busy at night then it did in March. i notice around 730 when on the track.

With X we now only book AQ so that we have access to "Blu" as we like the smaller dining room and the food in that venue much better than the dining in the MDR...we think that dining room has become far too noisy and understaffed and the quality of the food there is just not what it used to be...IMO. (we first sailed X in 2001).

We enjoy the various buffets offered on AZ featuring a different country each night...and we also like the smaller buffet in general than what you find on M or S class X ships.

TBH we don't really go to the MDR on AZ very much as we haven't really found the food there to be that great...again...that is just our opinion!!!

If you have a suite on AZ there is no charge for the 2 special restaurants...both are good but I like Prime C best as I'm a real "meat and potato girl"!!! :D And the tiny donuts you can have for desert with several sauces are...amazing!!! ;) I think the special restaurants on X have become way overpriced and if you dine in "Blu" to me that is pretty special already!! Hope you decide to give AZ a try...I think you will enjoy the small ship and the very helpful, friendly crew...and your loyalty benefits will transfer from X which is a plus as well!!! Let us know what you decide!! LuAnn

Hello, everyone. I hope this doesn't take food off topic too much but I am hoping Bonnie will read this and help me out here. I have taken many Celebrity cruises, am Elite Plus. I have only taken one Azamara cruise and liked it so much we booked three more while onboard so I am certainly a fan. (We are going Southampton to Montreal in a month and I am quite excited by that itinerary.) But the weakest link for me in comparing the two is food. Here's why. I am a vegetarian. I eat eggs and cheese but no fish or meat. On Celebrity they really try to give me nice food. (Now that there's a suite program with Luminae as the restaurant, I eat downright gourmet food onboard but even the MDR offers me good choices and a willingness to adjust even those to make me happy.) Azamara shows little willingness to please my palate. Last Azamara cruise I actually spoke with the food and beverage manager and chef. Chef told me they offer one vegetarian dish each night at dinner and they feel that should satisfy my concern. Well often it doesn't. The food is either ridiculously rich, as if to try and mask the veggies, or prosaic ... standard fare curry without creative effort. I love the intimacy of Azamara and have agreed to ignore the food in favor of all the other lovely intimate aspects. But there is very little interesting food for me. I live in California where I guess I am spoiled by how easy a vegetarian foodie can get interesting food but I do think Azamara drops the ball badly here. Just my two cents!

I too eat at the buffet more on Azamara. They do a good job in Windows of an evening and invariably I need a break from all that served food. Besides if it's a nice evening you can sit outside Windows and have the best view in the house.

Hello, everyone. I hope this doesn't take food off topic too much but I am hoping Bonnie will read this and help me out here. I have taken many Celebrity cruises, am Elite Plus. I have only taken one Azamara cruise and liked it so much we booked three more while onboard so I am certainly a fan. (We are going Southampton to Montreal in a month and I am quite excited by that itinerary.) But the weakest link for me in comparing the two is food. Here's why. I am a vegetarian. I eat eggs and cheese but no fish or meat. On Celebrity they really try to give me nice food. (Now that there's a suite program with Luminae as the restaurant, I eat downright gourmet food onboard but even the MDR offers me good choices and a willingness to adjust even those to make me happy.) Azamara shows little willingness to please my palate. Last Azamara cruise I actually spoke with the food and beverage manager and chef. Chef told me they offer one vegetarian dish each night at dinner and they feel that should satisfy my concern. Well often it doesn't. The food is either ridiculously rich, as if to try and mask the veggies, or prosaic ... standard fare curry without creative effort. I love the intimacy of Azamara and have agreed to ignore the food in favor of all the other lovely intimate aspects. But there is very little interesting food for me. I live in California where I guess I am spoiled by how easy a vegetarian foodie can get interesting food but I do think Azamara drops the ball badly here. Just my two cents!

Have you thought of asking for every veggie on the MDR menu with a potato. I do eat fish and some meat but I can go weeks without red meat. When I am in Prime C I get a lot of veggie dishes. Also the night before I believe you can still order a special meal. I am sure you have no problem at most buffets. I even believe there are grilled veggies at the pool beyond mushrooms.

Hi, Robin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I get veggies and potato often, especially when I cannot face eggplant parmigiana again or curry. I just would like some creative options. Celebrity will give me a vegetable Napoleon in a balsamic reduction, for example. Azamara gives me very prosaic meals. It's not that there is no food for me. It is just very uninteresting food and I wish Azamara wanted me to be happy in my dining like Celebrity does. I am a foodie, just like many people who cruise and I actually want high quality interesting food. I have resigned myself thus far but I get very tempted to just cruise in celebrity's suite class and eat fabulous food in Luminae.

Otoh, Azamara has a great product with that exception. It remains to be seen how willing I am to give up really finely prepared food for the more intimate experience.

Fern

Hi, Robin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I get veggies and potato often, especially when I cannot face eggplant parmigiana again or curry. I just would like some creative options. Celebrity will give me a vegetable Napoleon in a balsamic reduction, for example. Azamara gives me very prosaic meals. It's not that there is no food for me. It is just very uninteresting food and I wish Azamara wanted me to be happy in my dining like Celebrity does. I am a foodie, just like many people who cruise and I actually want high quality interesting food. I have resigned myself thus far but I get very tempted to just cruise in celebrity's suite class and eat fabulous food in Luminae.

Otoh, Azamara has a great product with that exception. It remains to be seen how willing I am to give up really finely prepared food for the more intimate experience.

Fern

I had leftover eggplant parm tonight. It seems I eat more of that then tofu. But I know how to use it. I eat fish but I do understand as I do eat on deck 10 a lot. There are only two veggie mains, I have been lucky with 24 hours notices had spicy soups made ..no protein unless in the base. I find it filling. I wish I could help more. Interesting you had better luck next with Celebrity. My last cruise with them was beforeLuminae. Wonder how their main DR is. Maybe you need to talk to the exec chef or at host stand as thst is where I pre order. They do it for salt free etc so why not protein free.

The new suite only restaurant has been created on one side, taking up part of the floor space and reducing the top level of the MDR to having only one entrance. Yes there is a buzz about the upper deck but I think it creates an atmosphere. The lower deck where the tradional set table dining is, seems to have more spaces in it as more folk opt for Open dining.

Just as an FYI, the Luminae restaurant is on the Upper Deck of the Millennium Class ships, and on the lower deck of the Solstice Class ships. On each respective level, there is only 1 entrance to the Main Dining Room, and thereby creates all sorts of traffic jams and congestion. On occasion, things work out well, but unless they open the MDR 10-15 mins early, it can get very ugly.

I have absolutely no problem with the idea of Luminae, but IMO, they HAD to figure out another place to put it. Good restaurant concept. Awful execution and location.

We are considering a Med cruise on Quest next year.

How does the food in the main dining room and other free areas on the ship compare to like areas on Celebrity ships?

Hi TomBeckCruise,

As always, the topic of cuisine is very subjective, but I'd like to share my thoughts :

Generally, we are very pleased with Celebrity's cuisine, and love Tuscan and Murano. With that said, the cuisine on Azamara excels virtually everywhere on the ship. We love Prime C - probably my favorite venue onboard. We also found the Discoveries Dining Room to be very good to excellent.

We enjoy Windows Buffet - much better than Celebrity and much calmer than the Solstice Class buffet... which is like a free for all. We totally enjoyed the renovated Patio/Grill area, and it's expansive menu. Interestingly, I thought the burgers were outstanding when we sailed in January. I noticed Phil's comments, and I hope they have not changed the burgers. Sorry that I missed the Room Service burger, but hope to try it on a future cruise.

The bottom line - if you enjoy Celebrity's cuisine, I'm totally confident you will love what Azamara has to offer. Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi TomBeckCruise,

As always, the topic of cuisine is very subjective, but I'd like to share my thoughts :

Generally, we are very pleased with Celebrity's cuisine, and love Tuscan and Murano. With that said, the cuisine on Azamara excels virtually everywhere on the ship. We love Prime C - probably my favorite venue onboard. We also found the Discoveries Dining Room to be very good to excellent.

We enjoy Windows Buffet - much better than Celebrity and much calmer than the Solstice Class buffet... which is like a free for all. We totally enjoyed the renovated Patio/Grill area, and it's expansive menu. Interestingly, I thought the burgers were outstanding when we sailed in January. I noticed Phil's comments, and I hope they have not changed the burgers. Sorry that I missed the Room Service burger, but hope to try it on a future cruise.

The bottom line - if you enjoy Celebrity's cuisine, I'm totally confident you will love what Azamara has to offer. Hope this helps !

Absolutely spot on Andy, as always. :)

I never usually eat burgers, but the new offering by night at The Patio came with Phil's recommendation and I must say it was really delicious. I will certainly be having another one next week.

The original question posed regarded the main dining rooms. IMHO, the Discoveries restaurant on Azamara is quite a step up from the main dining room on Celebrity (which was OK). And I will add: The buffet on AZ is way, way better than Celebrity. Celebrity Millenium's buffet was simply a cruise ship buffet, while on AZ the buffet has lots of special touches and lovely service.

Really good information, thank you!!