Tips in Euros or US $$

I am wondering if anyone know if local tour guides and bus/van drivers will accept tips in US$ or if I have to do it in Euros? On every other trip I've taken these people will accept whatever currency - especially US$ - for tips. I am going to have to convert some $$$ for purchases in shops that do not take credit cards or US$ but don't want to convert too much with all the fees to do so.

Any advice.:confused:

Of course guides would prefer to receive tips in their local currency. They would have to "convert" any tip given in US dollars to their own currency, which would negate any hypothetical "higher value" of the dollar.

Do some research on the most cost effective ways to exchange your money -- you really don't lose that much unless you're converting thousands of dollars...

The US Dollar is no longer appreciated in Europe...although guides will take whatever your give them. We actually had a French guide ask us, as a favor, if we would exchange some US Dollars for Euros (which we did) since the guide had no use for dollars. Another change in Europe is that many banks will no longer exchange currency...except for their own customers. ATMs have taken over from banks as the primary method to get cash. Exchanging currency can still be done at money exchange places (or at some exchange machines) but the exchange rate is not as good as justing getting cash from an ATM.

Hank

As of today, one euro = $1.07

Yes, exactly. So if it takes 1.07 dollars to buy 1 euro, the euro is valued higher.

I think what you're referencing is that the dollar is STRONGER versus the euro than has been the case in recent years.

Exactly - last year when we were in Europe, the rate was 1 euro to $1.30.....so I am totally ecstatic about the current rate which is hovering from $1.05 to $1.07. sorry I misrepresented the value but knowing this CC site- the correct info would be out there.

We are going again in may so hope this good rate continues.

eclue:cool:

When I can tip New York or Miami tour operators/drivers in Euros, you can tip European tour operators/drivers in US$.

Absolutely right! It really is cultural imperialism to expect people in countries with a perfectly good local currency (the population of the Eurozone is greater than that of the US) to be grateful for tips in a foreign currency which they will then have the hassle of taking to a bank to exchange.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...
Absolutely right! It really is cultural imperialism to expect people in countries with a perfectly good local currency (the population of the Eurozone is greater than that of the US) to be grateful for tips in a foreign currency which they will then have the hassle of taking to a bank to exchange.

Stuart

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.

Perhaps your other trips have been to third world countries with poorly recognized currencies where it is quite reasonable to tip in dollars and the local providers often prefer them. This is often the case in the Caribbean and cruisers on multi stop trips in multiple countries rarely get local currencies. Europe is very different. You are in the 1st world economically and dealing with readily tradable but strong local currencies, euros, pounds, kroners, etc depending on your itinerary. I would never expect dollars to be accepted there, although some stores in large transfer airports will accept bills of multiple currencies but not coins. Having traveled in the pre ATM and even rare CC era, I understand the concept of money exchange, but see no use for it today. What you are doing at an ATM is withdrawing cash in the local currency, certainly behind the scenes an exchange is being calculated but you do not have to deal with that at the time of withdrawal. What is important is having a card or two that do not charge you fees for out of area withdrawals and using bank ATM's for your withdrawals to get the best rates. It is always wise to have some local currency for small purchases, tips, etc but otherwise you can use a CC for purchases. Again carry ones without foreign transaction fees. Note the exception that proves the rule is Sweden where virtually everything is done by CC, even small purchases, and vendors really discourage cash.

We use local currency where possible. We feel it is a bit insulting to ask if they accept another currency.

After all, I cannot see any retailer in NYC accepting euros or GBP.

Amen to that! 😇

For first-timers abroad you might be pleasantly surprised when a hotel, restaurant or store asks (or worse, assumes) if you would like your credit card charged in US dollars.

If you take this option you will be unpleasantly surprised when you receive your mastercard or visa bill and find that the charge in US $ is higher than the exchange rate at the time of purchase, and greater than any conversion fee your credit card company might impose. (Many US credit card provides do not impose those conversion fees.).

Best advice is to use the currency of the country you are visiting for everything you need money for in that country. It takes just a few moments to get the correct cash from an ATM.

Absolutely. We find that several of the merchants in FLL and MIA try this on when we are visiting.

The second part is to get a credit card that does not tack on a hidden 2.5% admin fee to every purchase and/or a credit card company that uses an foreign exchange rate considerably higher than the daily, or the thrice daily rate. If not, be prepared for anywhere from 2.5 to 4 percent in hidden charges added on to your bill!

When we are in some countries we bring out my credit card to pay the bill. Before handing it over we ask politely if there is a discount for cash. Many times we secure a 5 or even a 10 percent discount by paying cash. Just came back from Costa Rica last month. Cash got us a 15 percent discount at the last place we stayed-a small family run resort. We have had many 10 percent discounts in Italy and Greece by doing this. It adds up.

Edited by iancal

For first-timers abroad you might be pleasantly surprised when a hotel, restaurant or store asks (or worse, assumes) if you would like your credit card charged in US dollars.

If you take this option you will be unpleasantly surprised when you receive your mastercard or visa bill and find that the charge in US $ is higher than the exchange rate at the time of purchase, and greater than any conversion fee your credit card company might impose. (Many US credit card provides do not impose those conversion fees.).

Best advice is to use the currency of the country you are visiting for everything you need money for in that country. It takes just a few moments to get the correct cash from an ATM.

You can also decline their offer and have the charge processed in the local currency. Then the exchange is done by your bank and whatever terms apply to your card are then in use. Since I travel with 2 cards that have no foriegn transaction fees this is the approach I always take.

We have long considered tipping Brits (in London) with Gibraltar pounds :rolleyes:

Hank

By all accounts you can change them in a Post office. Post offices have money exchange facilities, so I suppose they treat them as any other foreign currency. They are not legal tender in mainland U.K.