Princess in the News for wrong reasons.

Shogun

Actually, I had not seen such definitive information about the whistleblower and appreciate you posting this Shogun.

Honestly folks, not talking about this does not make it go away. We seem to have no issue regurgitating other topics on this board over and over. This one is far more serious and deserves any attention it is getting. Not everyone is on this board every day; some are altogether new and others (like myself) missed the discussion the first time around.

It may be old news, but it is big news. Shogun, like Pescado I found the article very interesting in respect to the whistleblower. Thank you for posting the link. I applaud him for speaking up against what obviously was a very wrong and immoral practice. It had to have taken quite a bit of courage and I am glad he was rewarded and has moved on.

When something as big as this happens at a lower level it always concerns me about the corporate culture up the line that may be encouraging employees to cut corners for profitability.

When something as big as this happens at a lower level it always concerns me about the corporate culture up the line that may be encouraging employees to cut corners for profitability.

Exactly. As bad as this was (over 8 years, and this is the first I've learned there were five ships involved) it points to even deeper issues in the culture both at corporate headquarters and on the ships where many others were also aware of this but were either fearful of reporting it or driven by greed. I'm finding it uncomfortable to know that I've been a willing participant in it by choosing to spend my vacation budget this way.

One person in a hundred will change their outlook on what happened.

I hope you meant to say 'change their outlook based on what happened'. I hope everyone agrees at a minimum that what happened is wrong and doesn't change their opinion on that.

But as for what I believe you meant, that's a very discouraging thing to hear. More of us should have the moral courage to do the right thing like the whistleblower did.

But we are still left with a quandary...as was pointed out in another thread, Princess will likely be the most environmentally friendly cruise line in existence, at least while they're under these reviews for the next five years. So if one wants to cruise, does one choose to spend money elsewhere or sail on Princess which will be highly scrutinized?

And for those for whom price is the driving factor, it will be interesting to see what cutbacks occur as a result of the penalty. Competitive pricing may say one thing but value might lead to a different choice.

Keeping this topic current will go a long way in protecting our planet's water.

The stiff fine Princess received will be food for thought for other cruise lines and the shipping industry as a whole. Princess is not the only company that dumps waste into the waters of earth. If you think you shouldn't sail Princess because of this disregard for our environment, then you will have a problem finding another line that hasn't done the same.

Kudos to the whistleblower :cool:

Hi All,

This story is all about a very honourable young Scot, who after years off study landed his dream job,

only to find wrong doing, how many of us put in a similar position would have done the right thing,

and walked out and told the authorities,

yours Shogun

Hi All,

This story is all about a very honourable young Scot, who after years off study landed his dream job,

only to find wrong doing, how many of us put in a similar position would have done the right thing,

yours Shogun

Well said Shogun,

Princess may end up be thought of like Starbucks, a lot of the UK public has shunned them.

I'd be interested to know if those responsible still have their jobs.

As is almost always the case finding the culprit would be near impossible. I suspect you would have to climb high in the company hierarchy to find who first came up with the scam. Did the master know or was this going on without his knowledge? I wonder if he is still in still a Carnival employee.

Work groups always close ranks.

DAVID.

As is almost always the case finding the culprit I wonder if he is still in still a Carnival employee.

Actually the culprit(s) "plural" were terminated long ago....before the case went public.

Reports are that several in the headquarters (land based) operation were sent packing.

It's too bad they weren't given some 'timeout' years in a penal institution.

Hi All,

yours Shogun

I have to chuckle at the lofty praise being given to him by Rear Admiral Scott Buschman of the Coast Guard. With comments like "Without the courageous act" and "The selfishness of the individual", you would think that he had rushed into a burning building and saved a dozen orphan children and their puppies in spite of hundreds of barrels of gasoline exploding on both sides of the entrance. Maybe Hollywood will make a movie of his heroic exploits! :D

Jeeze, all he did was what hundreds, if not thousands, of people do each day around the world - take cellphone videos of crimes, police brutality, or property destruction and show it to the authorities. I see similar things on the TV evening news every week.

Yes, he did a good thing. But many of us would, and have.

Hi

While the rear admiral words were colourful, the British Coast Guard made some good points here in the media,

this had been going on for years, involved a number of ships which meant a lot of engineers knew, when questioned many said they had been told to lie because of pressure from senior engineers even when being questioned some junior officers lied, he went on to say that they were not looking to prosecute junior crew because of the threats of senior crew, this guy who spoke out would I assume had same pressure or threats to career applied, but was the only one to do the right thing.

Assume part of the payout to him is to cover loss of income from the job he trained for and dreamed off.

yours Shogun

yours Shogun

Jeeze, all he did was what hundreds, if not thousands, of people do each day around the world - take cellphone videos of crimes, police brutality, or property destruction and show it to the authorities. I see similar things on the TV evening news every week.

I. Just. Can't. with this. To compare someone who just happens upon something noteworthy and takes no risk in recording it (because everyone else is too) to someone who chose a career, studied several years for it, was good enough to be offered his dream job, walked right into a criminal situation and then was brave enough to secretly record what was happening illegally and immediately report it... You really don't see a difference between the two?

Yes, he did a good thing. But many of us would, and have.
I'm not so sure about that, especially after reading some of the comments on this and other related threads.

actually, i had not seen such definitive information about the whistleblower and appreciate you posting this shogun.

Honestly folks, not talking about this does not make it go away. We seem to have no issue regurgitating other topics on this board over and over. This one is far more serious and deserves any attention it is getting. Not everyone is on this board every day; some are altogether new and others (like myself) missed the discussion the first time around.

big amen

Yes keeping this information available and up to date, I believe is a great source of information for all of us who enjoy cruising. No matter what cruise line we enjoy the most, all, or most of us, find this behavior despicable. The cruise lines all need to know the cruise buying public is aware of their actions

Yes keeping this information available and up to date, I believe is a great source of information for all of us who enjoy cruising. No matter what cruise line we enjoy the most, all, or most of us, find this behavior despicable. The cruise lines all need to know the cruise buying public is aware of their actions

Yes, it could be argued the thread title should be 'Princess in the News for right reasons'.

I. Just. Can't. with this. To compare someone who just happens upon something noteworthy and takes no risk in recording it (because everyone else is too) to someone who chose a career, studied several years for it, was good enough to be offered his dream job, walked right into a criminal situation and then was brave enough to secretly record what was happening illegally and immediately report it... You really don't see a difference between the two.

You really shouldn't be making assumptions like you just did. In my twenties and thirties I was very active in water sports. Because of these interests, I volunteered as part of a rescue team specializing in water rescues. What these teams trained for were life threatening situations, both for the victim and the rescuer. During my time with these teams we rescued over a dozen people, several of them children, and one woman who was six months pregnant. Risking a career is nothing compared to risking your life for another person. So, please don't make assumptions about what I do or don't know about the difference with this situation.

He did the right thing. Let's leave it at that.