No More Int'l Menu on Last Night of Cruise So What's Replaced It?

bcd2010

Nothing special about the menu. Last winter on Westerdam, we thought it was the worst menu of the week. Of course, food is subjective, but we're easy to please and there wasn't a lot that we liked. The other couple at our table disliked the main course they ordered. I don't recall what it was, but they both had the same thing. She wasn't crazy about her starter, either. It was the only night any of us was less than happy with dinner.

They introduce crew for a parade around the dining room. This is timed for the end of dinner at fixed sittings, although they do parade around both levels. Not just the kitchen staff, but also representatives of various departments. The cabin stewards carry towel animals, which is cute. The one thing I HATE about this is the napkin waving. That's just gross at the end of a meal.

Nothing special about the menu. Last winter on Westerdam, we thought it was the worst menu of the week. Of course, food is subjective, but we're easy to please and there wasn't a lot that we liked. The other couple at our table disliked the main course they ordered. I don't recall what it was, but they both had the same thing. She wasn't crazy about her starter, either. It was the only night any of us was less than happy with dinner.

They introduce crew for a parade around the dining room. This is timed for the end of dinner at fixed sittings, although they do parade around both levels. Not just the kitchen staff, but also representatives of various departments. The cabin stewards carry towel animals, which is cute. The one thing I HATE about this is the napkin waving. That's just gross at the end of a meal.

I'm with you on the napkin waving. It's a night to be avoided in the MDR.

We liked the International menu and will miss it, but I guess we were in the minority.

We checked the MDR last night's menu on the Maasdam a couple of weeks ago and saw nothing particularly appealing, so headed to the Lido.

I just got off the Prinsendam 3 weeks ago and the last night was something like a chef's dinner. highlighting the chefs that contribute to the menus. Nobody at our table was impressed with that meal and several ordered off the anytime menu even though it wasn't listed as an option! No parade either..... (yes, I had fixed late seating).

I just got off the Prinsendam 3 weeks ago and the last night was something like a chef's dinner. highlighting the chefs that contribute to the menus. Nobody at our table was impressed with that meal and several ordered off the anytime menu even though it wasn't listed as an option! No parade either..... (yes, I had fixed late seating).

Off-topic, but just as a matter of interest, did the Prinsendam have happy hour on your cruise 3 weeks ago?

I'm not ksqueak, but just off the Prinsendam on Sept. 28. The ship has Happy Hour in both the Ocean Bar and Crows Nest from 4-5 PM, then in the Crows Nest from 9:30-10:30 PM.

Not great timing for those with late seating.

I'm not ksqueak, but just off the Prinsendam on Sept. 28. The ship has Happy Hour in both the Ocean Bar and Crows Nest from 4-5 PM, then in the Crows Nest from 9:30-10:30 PM.

Not great timing for those with late seating.

Thank you for the info :)

For the last several years we have been making dinner reservations on the last night at one of the specialty restaurants.

It is always Pinnacle for me on last night of every cruise. :)

Maybe they inflict it on only the first seating.

It is almost always Pinnacle for us.

If we are on a signature ship, then it is Tamarind.

One time we did the Canaletto on the Maasdam and the meal and service was awful. Not a good way to end a cruise.

That's my pattern too. That said, I'm not a fan of Canaletto but it was so good on the Veendam I ate there 3 times. I might pry myself away from the tamarind and eat there for my cruise this month.

OP here - thank you for the replies - you convinced me - I just booked PG for the last night.

This is the first time we've sailed on a Signature class ship, so first time to try Tamarind (and Le Cirque, for that matter). When we booked we got the Anniversary package = OBC and free meals at Tamarind and Caneletto. So we'll end up in the MDR a max of 3 nights, the first night and the 2 gala nights.

I'm a little worried about the Tamarind. I don't like spicy foods and am not very "experimental" but with so many positive comments about it, I expect to enjoy it - and I know I can count on the wait staff to steer me in the right direction.

Edited by bcd2010

From the Dessert Extravaganza thread:

What are they doing instead? Anything special?

Our recent Zeiderdam cruise, they had" An Evening with the Culinary Council", six "extraordinary chefs". The menu had two dishes from each chef prepared for HA. There was a nice selection of dishes from the six.

The last night is a Culinary Council menu now, or at least it was on the Veendam in mid September. They sort of took all the Culinary Council chef items and rolled them into a single menu.

The last night is a Culinary Council menu now, or at least it was on the Veendam in mid September. They sort of took all the Culinary Council chef items and rolled them into a single menu.

No chance you happen to have a picture of the menu?

How did that compare to the International dinner - is it much the same or will it be worth trying? We usually book the PG for the last night just to avoid the International dinner.:o