Ladies - what to wear on excursions?

mbliving

Hello, my daughter and I are heading out on the Pride of America in 3 weeks.. first time in Hawaii!

I'm a bit lost on what to wear on all day excursions, particularly Heavenly Hana which is from 8:30-5:00 in Maui and Volcano National Park and Rainbow Falls in Hilo.

I find buses cool so will probably bring a sweater or something but do you wear shorts or capris if the temps are May's average? Sandals or runners?

Its hard to go by "average temps" as humidity and wind play alot in how those temps actually feel.

I'm still trying to figure out how to carry everything in other ports where we want to walk around and go to the beach. My mule (Hubby) is not with me this time, lol

thanks for any input

Hawaii tend to be a bit humid, even in May. Hard to know how cool the bus will be. I would wear a "tennis' type shoe rather than flip flops, you will probably do some walking on uneven terrain. You could wear a bathing suit under a top and shorts. Some of the beaches do not have changing facilities, not an issue unless you get wet. Since these will be organized tours, they will probably visit beaches with facilities. Relax and enjoy,the scenery is beautiful.

Hello, my daughter and I are heading out on the Pride of America in 3 weeks.. first time in Hawaii!

I'm a bit lost on what to wear on all day excursions, particularly Heavenly Hana which is from 8:30-5:00 in Maui and Volcano National Park and Rainbow Falls in Hilo.

I find buses cool so will probably bring a sweater or something but do you wear shorts or capris if the temps are May's average? Sandals or runners?

Its hard to go by "average temps" as humidity and wind play alot in how those temps actually feel.

I'm still trying to figure out how to carry everything in other ports where we want to walk around and go to the beach. My mule (Hubby) is not with me this time, lol

thanks for any input

I've been to Hawaii both in the winter and summer months, and there is very little difference in temps. It is shorts weather year round. Like a beautiful warm spring day year round. It is uncommon to get temps in the 90s. Always a nice breeze. Shorts or capris will be fine for most activities. Bring a sweater for air conditioning or the high elevations. I like a comfortable shoe in Hawaii because sightseeing can involve quite a bit of walking. One of those lightweight string sports packs are nice for holding a few things and keeping the hands free.

thanks... I have New Balance Sandals.. hopefully they will work?

I'm trying to fit everything in a medium suitcase, LOL

In looking at New Balance sandal ads, what we see are mainly flip flops/thongs. As mentioned before, for your own safety you really should have something sturdier if you are going to do any walking at all.

Aloha,

We've already started to warm up to the mid 80's. Luckily this summer the forecast calls for more trade winds than last year during our heat wave. When going up high on the mountains (Haleakala, Volcanoes, etc), wear layers. Bring a sturdy reusable bag (like the ones TJ Maxx has) or tote to bring your stuff around when in port. Do get a decent pair of slippers and you might want to bring tennis shoes if you plan on doing some hiking during your time here. Hope this helps and that y'all have a great vacation! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Aloha,

We've already started to warm up to the mid 80's. Luckily this summer the forecast calls for more trade winds than last year during our heat wave. When going up high on the mountains (Haleakala, Volcanoes, etc), wear layers. Bring a sturdy reusable bag (like the ones TJ Maxx has) or tote to bring your stuff around when in port. Do get a decent pair of slippers and you might want to bring tennis shoes if you plan on doing some hiking during your time here. Hope this helps and that y'all have a great vacation! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with the layers suggestion. We toured at Volcano NP and I had to send my DH back to the car for my jacket..it got chilly and rainy very fast...in just a little while the sun came out and there was no need for a jacket...be prepared for anything.

Open toed shoes might not be the best idea when walking around Volcanoes National Park. That lava is hard!!

My son wore his sandals (similar to what you're describing) everywhere else and was fine though.

Have a great trip! We loved ours! :D

Capris and short sleeves will be fine. It's ALWAYS windy in Hawaii, and I found myself cool most of the time...so do bring a sweater! Basically, wear the proper clothes, shoes, etc... for the activity you'll be doing!

ok, thanks for all your help. By the sounds of it, I need to decrease my shorts and sleeveless tops and add more capris and t-shirts. I'm used to going away to the Caribbean where I never pack long pants or jackets :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just came back from a visit to Volcano Park. I wore a skort (Athleta Trekker), moisture wicking short sleeved tshirt, tied a long sleeved SPF rash guard (also Athleta) around my waist & wore my Merrill water sandals & my SPF50 hat & sunglasses. It did get cool enough to put the rash guard on twice. We did get some misty rain & the moisture wicking fabrics did their job. Have a great time it's a fabulous park

I usually wore long sleeves and long pants, because I didn't want to get sunburned. They were not heavy weight though, and were cool enough. Also a hat for sun. We were there in April, four islands, and the weather was quite nice. Not real hot or cool.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks... I have New Balance Sandals.. hopefully they will work?

I'm trying to fit everything in a medium suitcase, LOL

I walked 23km in Rome this past Tuesday with my 2 year old block healed new balance sandals on. Even on the very cobbled streets of Ancient Rome I was fine in these most comfy sandals and am looking to replace them for our trip next May to the Hawaii islands. With that said I will be packing something else for hiking in.

When I go to Hawaii, I live in shorts and Tshirts. I think I take one pair of pants just in case I'm going to dinner somewhere that shorts would not be welcome. I always have my rain shell with me that I can put on if it gets a little too windy/chilly for me somewhere. The poster asking about eliminating some shorts/sleeveless shirts and packing more capris - I wouldn't do that. I've been there (mostly on the Big Island - my favorite!) in January, March, April, May, September, October - and I never felt underdressed for the weather in shorts and Tshirts. I normally don't do tank tops, so it wasn't a thing for me.

One thing on shoes: if you are planning on walking on any of the lava fields (NOT just a Volcanoes Nat'l Park, but at some beaches and other spots, too), beware that the consistency of the lava will chew at your shoe/sandal soles. Be sure you have a thick sole - save the flip flops (aka "slippers") and cutsie sandals for the ship or sand…

Full disclosure: I only do land vacations to Hawaii and I have never done an excursion (except up to the top of Mauna Kea to visit the observatories).

Edited by slidergirl

When I knew we would be more active (VNP, Haleakala) I wore work out type capris, sports bra and tank top with these sandals in black and gray:

https://www.rei.com/product/897059/keen-sage-sandals-womens

When I knew we'd be less active (such is in Lahaina) I would wear my swimsuit under a tshirt and shorts or capris.

I did pack a light, long sleeve jacket that I never wore and a rain jacket/wind breaker that I wore twice.