If you had to choose Southern or Eastern Carribbean Routes

marluvs2go

I know its a personal view point, but I am finding it difficult to sort out which ports I can do without or are a must see. Apparently Puerto Rico is topmost when you try and sort out the two routes. (?) Then the eleven day goes to so many ports it seems too hectic or not varied enough? so if YOU had to choose and could only do one or the other which would you do? and for what reasons? thanks! I know I can do tons of research and spend hours deciding, but that's why I love this forum because just one little reply can make such a difference in your selection sometimes. thanks in advance!

p.s. I am totally familiar with the Western route Aruba and Jamacia etc and have been there but clueless on others.

We usually choose a cruise that goes to Grenada, Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire as some of our favorites. We tend to like the islands that have a stronger Dutch influence or ones that are not super popular, i.e. St. Kitts wins every time over St. Thomas. We are doing 21 days in the Caribbean starting next month and as each island is somewhat unique from unusual cultures, awesome beaches, wonderful rain forests, desert-like conditions and everything in between, you will definitely not be bored. Ok - due to the fact that we have been to Barbados so many times, it has been lowered in our favorites list but we did find new adventures there 2 years ago. We do try to stay out of the very touristy areas on an island. An example is on Cozumel, one side of the island has beautiful sand beaches, lots of tourist shops, et. and the other side has a much more rocky beach - but wonderful tide pools with some amazing creatures . Found this as 1 of our motor scooters had a flat tire so 2 of us stayed with the wounded scooter and 2 went back to the shop. We wandered on the rocks while we waited- it was better than any aquarium we have been in for enjoyment of the little creatures.

You need to decide what you want out of the cruise and then pick the area - or do both and make your own list of favorite places.

My favorite islands so far - Tortola, St. John (via St. Thomas), Curacao, St. Lucia, and Dominica. I'm partial to the Southern Caribbean, then Eastern, and finally Western.

Roz

I don't much care for Jamaica, Grand Cayman though I do like Cozumel so Western itinerary is not my favorite.

I really enjoy San Juan, Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, St. Barts, St. Maarten, HMC, Tortola.........