3 Choices for our dates - Splendor, Fascination, Miracle

ski_mom

We have one week to choose from that will work with everyone's schedules, so our choices are somewhat limited.

Here's what we have available:

Fascination out of San Juan: St. Thomas, Sea Day, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten

Splendor out of Ft Lauderdale: Sea, Sea, St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk, Sea Day

Miracle out of Los Angeles: Sea day, Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Sea day, Sea Day

Our family will consist of mom, dad, daughter 20, daughter 19, son 15 and grandma.

None of the ships seem too exciting, but on the week we have available, the other ships are going to ports we've been to many times. These are at least a little different for our kids.

The advantages I see of the Fascination are the ports, the kids have never been to Barbados, St Lucia or St Kitts. The downside, no dive in movies and they enjoy sea days. It's super cheap though. I realize the airline tickets will be higher, but we have plenty of points to cover those, so no out of pocket $$ on that.

The Splendor is appealing because it's 8 days! Also, some ports they've never been to (St Kitts, Jan Juan and Grand Turk). I see it does have the dive in movies which we all enjoy and more sea days.

The Miracle would be a new departure port and all new ports for all of us - except we have been to Puerto Vallarta on a land vacation in the past, but I'd imagine a cruise day would be a pretty different experience.

I know we'll like whichever one we pick, but was just wondering other's opinions/experiences on these 3 ships. The ships we've sailed on with the kids in the past are the Dream, Conquest, Magic and NCL Pride of America. 2 of the 3 Caribbean cruises we've been on with them have gone to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica.

I really love the Spirit class and can't wait till the Miracle is in Tampa again :) Even though I'd prefer the Splendor itinerary, the Miracle would still be my preference. Fewer people on board, great traffic flow due to ship design and just love the open deck aft pool Serenity area on that class of ship.

I'm not sure I'm going to help matters much, but here's my 2 cents...

As far as the ships go, my least fav would be the Fascination. It's just older and small. We also like to cruise with balconies, so that isn't an option unless you book a suite.

We didn't like the Splendor as much as other ships we've sailed. (There's a reason she's the only one of her class). It was the rockiest of all of our sailings (and the water was calm). It also has an odd floor plan and pool area.

The Miracle is in a great class of ship, midsized and easy to navigate.

BUT....if I was choosing based on itinerary, I would the Splendor's itin. The eastern Caribbean is awesome and flying into FLL is usually cheaper than flying into San Juan. Also, you don't need a passport if you leave from Florida vs Puerto Rico.

My second choice would be the other Caribbean itin. Honestly, we only cruise the Mexican Riviera because we live in CA and it saves us a ton in airfare.

As far as the ships go, my least fav would be the Fascination. It's just older and small. We also like to cruise with balconies, so that isn't an option unless you book a suite.

We didn't like the Splendor as much as other ships we've sailed. (There's a reason she's the only one of her class). It was the rockiest of all of our sailings (and the water was calm). It also has an odd floor plan and pool area.

BUT....if I was choosing based on itinerary, I would the Splendor's itin. The eastern Caribbean is awesome and flying into FLL is usually cheaper than flying into San Juan. Also, you don't need a passport if you leave from Florida vs Puerto Rico.

My second choice would be the other Caribbean itin. Honestly, we only cruise the Mexican Riviera because we live in CA and it saves us a ton in airfare.

Puerto Rico is a US territory and no passport is required to go there.

We are scheduled on the Splendor in June and have done both of the other itineraries you are considering. The Splendor won this year simply based on all new ports and 8 days for us.

While I loved the cruise out of Puerto Rico we were completely exhausted at the end. 5 ports and only one sea day was tiring. We did it when the Valor was based there and I would not do it on the Fascination. I have zero interest in spending a week on a Fantasy class ship. They are tolerable for 3-4 days but nothing longer for me.

I adore the Spirit class ships and would choose the Miracle based on that and that they are new ports for your family. We have done the Mexican Rivera twice (Pride & Miracle) as LA is driving distance. The Spirit class ships are SO nicely laid out! You can walk from front to rear without having to go up down and around for something as simple as the dining room. I get so frustrated on some of the other ships layouts. There is also a lovely Serenity area on the Miracle that overlooks the rear of the ship, and is just so peaceful and relaxing.

Splendor! I just posted a review. If you can upgrade to cloud 9 spa deck, its worth every penny!! The VIP mineral whirlpool and thermal rooms are just amazing.

Better food options too and embarkation was a breeze with the new system.

No, not to go there. But it's my understanding that you need a passport to fly there.

No, because it is a US territory, no passport is required for US citizens. Because,again, it is a US territory.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/san-juan.html

See about halfway down the page under the "Important" heading.

"IMPORTANT: If you were born in Puerto Rico, or are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you do not need a U.S. Passport Book or U.S. Passport Card to travel anywhere that is considered under U.S. jurisdiction, including the continental United States of America, Alaska, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John), and other U.S. territories. "

I was on the Miracle in September 2016. Ugliest and most rundown ship in the fleet IMO. I'd go with the Splendor.

I agree. The Miracle is just plain nasty. Worst decor and dining of the 38 cruises I have been on. Fascination is outdated. The Splendor is the best of the lot. I have been on all three ships. After our last cruise on the Miracle we swore off Carnival for good.

The Fascination does in fact have balconies. They were an "after" addition - but she does have balconies.

Of the ships you have mentioned, I have only sailed the Fascination.

The West Coast itineraries don't hold much interest for me and with her coming back east relatively soon, I would hold off on flying to California to sail her.

The Fascination itinerary exhausts me. I have not so jokingly told DH that if we ever do that itinerary we are doing a B2B so we can build in some rest days. And as mentioned, no - you do not need a passport to fly there.

I have zero interest in sailing the Splendor, but this may be one of your last opportunities too - she will transfer to P&O before too much longer. Her itinerary is the best and 8 day is always a win for me.

So....for your choices - I would definitely choose the Splendor! Good balance of new ports and sea days. Seems like a great fit for your family.

The Fascination does in fact have balconies. They were an "after" addition - but she does have balconies.

I wasn't aware that they'd added balconies. I've sailed most of the -tion ships and this is news to me :) I sailed on the Inspiration last month and we bought a suite just to get a balcony on that ship.

The itinerary on Fascination is, hands down, our favorite BUT since you mentioned your kids like the dive-in movies and sea days, one of the other two options may be a better choice for them. With the Fascination's itinerary and being port heavy, it's actually the itinerary that's the main attraction there and not the ship. Although it's a beautiful itinerary with things to do for all areas of interests at each of the ports, they may not be something that kids would appreciate, especially if they are missing out on things that they do like (the dive in movies and sea days). We've done that itinerary twice fairly recently, but on Valor and Liberty.

As for the ships themselves, Miracle is the only one out of the three that you mentioned that we've actually been on. We really loved her layout and Miracle and the other Spirit Class ships are favored because of their layouts and generally less congested/crowded feel to them. We noticed that when we were on her. We've been to all of the ports you've mentioned and love all of them. The only one of the ships you've mentioned that we've actually been on is Miracle and she does have a very nice layout. I'd definitely sail on her again.

The ports. For the first time ever in a question posted like yours, I can actually say that we've been to all of the ports you mentioned. If we had this choice, it would be a tough choice. We do not have a specific favorite port, but all that you mentioned are great options and all offer something for folks of all ages and interests.

Been on both the Miracle and Splendor, never the Fascination. Overall I like Miracle more. Better layout, better location of Serenity deck. I like the indian/mediteranean option and second level of lido dining on the Splendor (quieter in evening for family game playing), but I felt like the layout left me bumping into walls. Miracle would be my choice. Don't mind the decor or the age of some things.

Our group of 14-18 (depending on the year), has done the Mexican Riviera multiple times. The combo of Mazatlan, PV and Cabo is a favorite. Caribbean can be the bomb, but those three Mexican ports are very accessible and fun.

Exactly how I see it too. In my mind the Mex. Riv. itinerary is the weakest of the 3 by far. I'd do either of the Caribbean trips any day before heading west again. Note, I've been to every port mentioned save Grand Turk and have been on both Splendor and Miracle. Both would be regarded as B level Carnival ships at this point. (Fine but not state of the art.)

Well, I just wanted to update with what we decided - we booked on the Splendor. My husband and I have done basically the Fascination itinerary (except it didn't even have one sea day) and although all the ports are great, they are very tiring and we like to relax some while on vacation.

That put it between the Miracle and the Splendor - we ended up choosing the Splendor because it had an extra day and it has the dive-in movies which we really enjoy. I figure you can't ever argue with an extra day!