Question for uk peoples about tie knots on formal night

redhydra

Hi, am sailing on qm2 from southampton 4september, usually i wear my tie using the windsor knot but i read it was associated with the royalty in uk

Will i offend fellow passenger using this configuration? I heard it was frowned in the uk military so i want to make sure

Thanks in advance

Hi, am sailing on qm2 from southampton 4september, usually i wear my tie using the windsor knot but i read it was associated with the royalty in uk

Will i offend fellow passenger using this configuration? I heard it was frowned in the uk military so i want to make sure

Thanks in advance

I'm not from the UK, but they might tell you the Windsor knot would be fine, but not on formal night with your bow tie and dinner jacket :D

In Ian Fleming’s James Bond novel, From Russia, With Love, he wrote: “Bond mistrusted anyone who tied his tie with a Windsor Knot. It showed too much vanity. It was often the mark of a cad.”

But seriously, I doubt anyone is offended by how a neck tie is fastened, except a bow tie is more appropriate on formal night with a dinner suit.

Edited by missfrankiecat

Would that be a Full-Windsor or a Half-Windsor?

I don't know anything about the political implications of either, but I think the Half-Windsor looks better. This fashionista recommends that men "ditch the Windsor" http://oneguysstyle.com/full-windsor-knot/

Personally, I just appreciate it when men go to the extra effort of wearing a tie and jacket for dinner. Cheers, -S.

Half Windsor looks too lopsided for my taste. Makes me think of a 19 year old wearing a tie because he has to.

These are the two lopsided knots that the author recommends:

fb_fourinhand.gif

tiep.jpg

Of course, most of my ties are from the 80s or 90s so maybe it's easier to get a full Windsor knot that's not huge.

Edited by Underwatr

Half Windsor looks too lopsided for my taste. Makes me think of a 19 year old wearing a tie because he has to.

These are the two lopsided knots that the author recommends:

fb_fourinhand.gif

tiep.jpg

Of course, most of my ties are from the 80s or 90s so maybe it's easier to get a full Windsor knot that's not huge.

I hardly noticed the tie - but that jacket the model is wearing is a real eye catcher (not in a good way) :eek:

I hardly noticed the tie - but that jacket the model is wearing is a real eye catcher (not in a good way) :eek:

My husband has a few eye-catching jackets and one is almost the same as the one in the photograph!

It looks fabulous on him but then, he can wear most items of clothing with panache. It's great to see such an array of jackets in an evening.

As to the tie configuration redhydra, not that it's any other person's business, I can assure you not many passengers will be able to tell which knot has been used.

Edited by Victoria2

Well I'll be damned - in 60 something years of knotting ties, both as a civilian, and as a soldier, I never once realised that there were politics involved. And for the benefit of those people who appear to think such things are important, I don't have the foggiest clue what kind of knot I tie in my tie, and nor, indeed, do I care.

I have said this many times in the past whenever this board has become ever more deeply mired in trivia - you are going on holiday! The fashion police are a fantasy - wind your tie around your neck and tie it in a clove hitch or a sheepshank or a bowline or something like that. Nobody else will give it a second glance and nobody else will care.

J

Well I'll be damned - in 60 something years of knotting ties, both as a civilian, and as a soldier, I never once realised that there were politics involved. And for the benefit of those people who appear to think such things are important, I don't have the foggiest clue what kind of knot I tie in my tie, and nor, indeed, do I care.

I have said this many times in the past whenever this board has become ever more deeply mired in trivia - you are going on holiday! The fashion police are a fantasy - wind your tie around your neck and tie it in a clove hitch or a sheepshank or a bowline or something like that. Nobody else will give it a second glance and nobody else will care.

J

Well said. :)

J

Agree Cruachan, thought the op may have been attempting a wind up !

Edited by Pennbank

... I don't have the foggiest clue what kind of knot I tie in my tie, and nor, indeed, do I care.
I was shown how to tie my tie as a child, and have used the same knot (like you, I've no idea what others call it) almost ever since, without giving it the slightest thought (I was shown a different style as an adult... but haven't used that in almost twenty years).
I have said this many times in the past whenever this board has become ever more deeply mired in trivia - you are going on holiday! ... wind your tie around your neck and tie it in a clove hitch or a sheepshank or a bowline or something like that. Nobody else will give it a second glance and nobody else will care.J
Very well said :) .

To the OP, do your usual knot (whatever you care to call it), as Cruachan correctly states, no-one will notice.

I am also on board QM2 on September 4th, look out for a guy with a mess tied around his neck (looks like a monkey played with a tablecloth), that will be me :cool: .

Edited by pepperrn

I was shown how to tie my tie as a child, and have used the same knot (like you, I've no idea what others call it) almost ever since, without giving it the slightest thought (I was shown a different style as an adult... but haven't used that in almost twenty years).

Very well said :) .

To the OP, do your usual knot (whatever you care to call it), as Cruachan correctly states, no-one will notice.

I am also on board QM2 on September 4th, look out for a guy with a mess tied around his neck (looks like a monkey played with a tablecloth), that will be me :cool: .

Pepper, I think that might be the latest fashion - Armani?

:D

Thanks in advance

When I wear a tie it is always a Windsor knot even on Cunard with over Forty Trips, I think the Windsor Knot looks a lot smarter.:D

Pepper, I think that might be the latest fashion - Armani?
Me in the "latest fashion"? That can't be right :confused: . The last time my usual attire was fashionable, people were getting planning permission to build Stonehenge.

Thanks for your awnsers everyone

Its a full windsor i usually use and its more for comfort than elegence, i also know the four in hand knot but for some reason, i feel a bit strangled with that, may be because of the shape of my neck

I thought a bow tie only worked with a tuxedo, since i dont have a tuxedo

It will be absolutely fine on a night when jacket and tie are required…

Personally, I am not a fan of the full Windsor knot, I think they are a little too large, and usually go for the Half Windsor as it is not as large, and I think it suits me better than the full.

I am just glad people know how to tie a tie properly these days… :)

I also tie my bow ties myself too, although do admit to having a few pre-ties ones, only purchased because I like the colour or pattern, and wear them during the day too…

Just when you thought the "Fashion" Threads had exhausted themselves, this one comes along. Be Prepared!!! the great shoe tie debate is imminent.:eek: Let me say in advance, I prefer Velcro. As far as tying knots, I have my Boy Scout knot tying merit badge and I personally always preferred the Bowline.:D:D

... Be Prepared!!! the great shoe tie debate is imminent.:eek:
There could be a debate :confused: Impossible surely; there is only one way... ;)
Let me say in advance, I prefer Velcro
Isn't that the shoe equivalent of the pre-tied bow? :eek:

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn