To Cove or not to Cove

Midwestgal

I'm thinking about booking a cove balcony on Breeze with stops in Belize, Rotan , Costa Maya & Cozumel.

My concern is the balcony not being useable if the sea is high, so my question is are there certain itineraries that this happens with more often than others?

I know no one can predict the weather and it's something you have to be okay with in the event they close it up due to the swells and rough seas.

What has been your personal experiences with cove balconies.

No need to worry about such Seas short of a hurricane.

We were 50-50 on cove. Liked being close to water and having more private balcony space. Didn't like lifeboat above head. So between cove and regular balcony we are happy with either - l-shaped remains favorite tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cove! Just make sure you are not under the galley. We are in 2284 pretty much under nothing. We were originally under the galley. Everyone said it would be too loud. I'm stoked to be right above the ocean. Gonna sleep like a baby.

I am pretty sure that if the sea is reaching your cove balcony that you'll have bigger problems to worry about!

I know they seal them off from time to time and you don't have use of them that why I ask.

Cove! Just make sure you are not under the galley. We are in 2284 pretty much under nothing. We were originally under the galley. Everyone said it would be too loud. I'm stoked to be right above the ocean. Gonna sleep like a baby.

So forward or aft is the place to be ?

The aft scares me only because when we we're on deck 6 aft the sewer small was horrible

Edited by Midwestgal

We were in a cove balcony on the Magic. No worries about high seas. You are still plenty high above the water. If the seas are that high, you are not going to be out on the balcony!! We would book one again in a minute!

wHad a cove for the first time on Vista US inaugural. LOVED the Cove balcony with a caveat that the galley was above us, though we only had loud noises (metal banging) 1 night for about 10 minutes.

We had some pretty nasty weather going into Amber Cove (which we didn't make) but it would take a helluva storm to reach those coves.

Loved being so close to the water, the larger balcony offered, and the shade on those HOT days!

I know they seal them off from time to time and you don't have use of them that why I ask.

I don't think it happens very often. In fact, I can't recall anyone ever mentioning theirs got closed off in any review I've read. We sailed in a cove when the Gulf was full of storms from Hurricane Patricia. They had to close the top couple decks off for the first two days, but they never closed off our cove. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it because they chances are slim it will happen. And if it does, I'm guessing it would be so bad out you wouldn't be wanting to spend time outside on a regular balcony either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So forward or aft is the place to be ?

The aft scares me only because when we we're on deck 6 aft the sewer small was horrible

We booked a cove for the first time two years ago on the Breeze. We had #2268. It's just below the Excursions Desk, so no noise from above. Also, there's no lifeboat directly over the balcony. However, because the cove balconies are recessed, they don't get a lot of direct sunlight anyhow. It's close to where the gangway will be (if the ship ports on that side), so it's a great spot to watch for pier runners. However, if you spend most of your time on the Lido deck (as we do), it's a bit of a hike to get to the Aft elevator. If you opt to book a cove balcony in that area, I strongly recommend ordering coffee from room service for in the morning. The walk isn't so bad once you've put some caffeine in your "fuel tank". ;) On our most recent cruise, on the Vista, we booked a cove balcony a lot closer to the Aft elevators. Before you decide, look closely at the deck plans, so you'll know what's above the cabin you're considering. Try to avoid booking directly under the galley if possible.

On our recent cruise on The Dream we had a Cove balcony and loved it. Great being that close to the water and seeing the porpoises so close. Never heard any noise. Would take a major storm for the water to reach the cove balconies. They have impressive storm doors ready though, just in case.

Yes, they close them off. We were just on the Magic and many people were complaining about their cove balconies being closed for 24 hours. The waves were not that bad but the wind was terrible.

We booked a cove for the first time two years ago on the Breeze. We had #2268. It's just below the Excursions Desk, so no noise from above. Also, there's no lifeboat directly over the balcony. However, because the cove balconies are recessed, they don't get a lot of direct sunlight anyhow. It's close to where the gangway will be (if the ship ports on that side), so it's a great spot to watch for pier runners. However, if you spend most of your time on the Lido deck (as we do), it's a bit of a hike to get to the Aft elevator. If you opt to book a cove balcony in that area, I strongly recommend ordering coffee from room service for in the morning. The walk isn't so bad once you've put some caffeine in your "fuel tank". ;) On our most recent cruise, on the Vista, we booked a cove balcony a lot closer to the Aft elevators. Before you decide, look closely at the deck plans, so you'll know what's above the cabin you're considering. Try to avoid booking directly under the galley if possible.

That's cool. Our room is just a few doors down from yours. Quiet and near elevators. My girls are so excited.

I say mid ship or forward. Unless you have an actual aft balcony. I hear they are cool.

We had an aft view extended on the Dream last year and we just booked a large balcony on the Dream for next year as well. The views on the aft view extended balconies are something else. On a clear night there are so many stars and the churn of the props back there helped rock us to sleep.

Had our first Cove on our Dream cruise last September. Fell in love! Now we have a Cove on our next two upcoming cruises. Our wasn't always shaded since we didn't have a lifeboat right above us (on the Dream we were in 2287). The balcony sure felt a lot larger than a regular balcony. Would not hesitate to book another, so long as one was available that was not below the galley. Check out the YouTube videos of Cove balconies. That's what sold us on booking one...

OK, so we've had a cove on the Dream, a cove on the Magic B2B, and we have a cove B2B on the Vista and Magic again next year and have a cove booked on a 14 day Breeze also next year. As others have said we love being that close to the water -- seeing the dolphins and the flying fish. :D