Anyone go on the Carnival Sunshine recently? Thoughts?

bowlman23

I've only cruised on Royal Caribbean (4 times) and this will be my first Carnival cruise. Trying to keep an open mind.

There's a great itinerary in Dec for Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Maarten.

I know the Carnival Sunshine has been upgraded in the last few years. Anyone been on there recently care to share their experience? Pros/Cons? Do's/Don'ts?

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

We were on the Sunshine the end of April.

Great staff, awesome dining options.

The ship itself, although recently "remodeled", felt very out dated. Entertainment was bland.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully we'll find stuff to do.

Carnival isn't famous for their entertainment, but they do offer great value. Unique to Sunshine is the waterfall in the adult serenity area. Cucina for lunch without an extra charge is worthwhile, especially if you order the lasagna, but I'd skip it for supper when there is a fee. The steakhouse is worth the extra fee though.

;p We have sailed on the Sunshine 4 times and have 4 more booked. We love the ship and the layout except for the show lounge which is much to small. The Sunshine has INHO some of the best food of all the Carnival fleet. There are as many options as there ore one the Vista and just as good. No live music in their show really makes them 2nd rate and we try to avoid them. If you have children they will definitely love the water works. The ship also has in our opinion one of the best staffs in the Carnival fleet. Do ya'al think we are fans of the Sunshine????:D

We just got off yesterday. While we enjoyed our cruise last year on her, I think we collectively had a better time this year - even through a tropical storm/hurricane. We went from NY to Grand Turk and St. Thomas - San Juan was canceled due to Hurricane Gert. I found the staff to be fantastic and the meals to be great. Emma is an awesome Cruise Director. Just awesome. I do think the Lido buffet is just lacking - especially for breakfast. Lines for pizza were outrageous, so I didn't eat there. But, if you hit Blue Iguana or the omelet stations, it's great for breakfast. We loved Guy's Burger Joint, and the line never seemed ridiculous there. We did the Steakhouse and the Chef's Table. The only meal I was disappointed with was at Cucina del Capitano. We waited FOREVER to get our drinks, and at that, they only took a drink order for me and one of my sons....the joke was that there was no wine left for my other son and husband. And, they continually got the order wrong. However, the staff there was pleasant, and we joked with them about it. Whatever....I'm on vacation, and they were nice. Saw 2 comedy shows - just be prepared for a long line. I have thick skin and even I was shocked at the PG show from the 2nd comedian we saw. People got up and walked out - racially offensive, in my opinion. The first comedian we saw was great. I didn't go to the shows - they're just not our gig. Coming from the NYC area, it just doesn't match to anything, so we just don't bother anymore. I did not enjoy the piano guy this time around. Coming from Patrick last year to this guy was quite the difference. The entertainment - bands, duos, guitarist were all good. The guitarist even let some kids take over and was jamming with them at one point in Red Frog. There are plenty of quiet places, and plenty of places to be loud and rowdy. We enjoyed the Red Frog Pub for a more "quiet" place. We were told there were 3800 people on our cruise, and honestly, it didn't feel nearly as crowded as our cruise last year....I scored a clamshell at 9:00 a.m. on our bonus sea day (it was hot and sunny) and there were plenty of chairs to be had at that time up in Serenity. Granted, later in the morning it was packed, but even at that time last year you could forget about it. I would agree that the Sunshine is showing her age....it's like they did a poor facelift on her. But, we really had no complaints. It was a wonderful time despite the weather issues....

I've only cruised on Royal Caribbean (4 times) and this will be my first Carnival cruise. Trying to keep an open mind.

There's a great itinerary in Dec for Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Maarten.

I know the Carnival Sunshine has been upgraded in the last few years. Anyone been on there recently care to share their experience? Pros/Cons? Do's/Don'ts?

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

This ship has a slightly different flow than most, so DO study the deck plans so you know easy routes from Point A to B. The comedy club is smaller than many (because it was an addition - but a great one) so DO go early and wait in line if you really want to see a show (we don not see this is an issue as we would wait in line to see a show on land so this is no different). DO sample the unique and delicious martini's from Alchemy bar. DO swing by the piano bar and see if it is hoppin'.DO try Bonsai for an snack afternoon snack. DO sample the cuban food bits at the side of the Havana bar (both breakfast and lunch nibbles will be available). DO try a Cuban Long Island from Havana. DO make reservations (in advance if possible) and eat dinner at Jijis.

We also love the steakhouse and enjoy Cucina for a change of pace at dinner as well. At lunch we like the taco salads at Blue Iguana and also a Guy's burger. But many of these things are available on other ships as well. If you can't tell, she is our favorite ship....

This ship has a slightly different flow than most, so DO study the deck plans so you know easy routes from Point A to B. The comedy club is smaller than many (because it was an addition - but a great one) so DO go early and wait in line if you really want to see a show (we don not see this is an issue as we would wait in line to see a show on land so this is no different). DO sample the unique and delicious martini's from Alchemy bar. DO swing by the piano bar and see if it is hoppin'.DO try Bonsai for an snack afternoon snack. DO sample the cuban food bits at the side of the Havana bar (both breakfast and lunch nibbles will be available). DO try a Cuban Long Island from Havana. DO make reservations (in advance if possible) and eat dinner at Jijis.

We also love the steakhouse and enjoy Cucina for a change of pace at dinner as well. At lunch we like the taco salads at Blue Iguana and also a Guy's burger. But many of these things are available on other ships as well. If you can't tell, she is our favorite ship....

I'm glad to hear that! Thanks so much for the tips. We just booked yesterday for a Dec 1 departure. So excited. Haven't been on a cruise since 2011 when I was on Oasis of the Seas.

I cruised this itinerary on the Sunshine last March, although I believe it was in reverse order (St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk).

I enjoyed the ship, and the itinerary was amazing. I would not hesitate to book that itinerary again. Plus, it looks like you would have 2 sea days to end the cruise, which is usually my preference!

Enjoy!

I cruised this itinerary on the Sunshine last March, although I believe it was in reverse order (St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk).

I enjoyed the ship, and the itinerary was amazing. I would not hesitate to book that itinerary again. Plus, it looks like you would have 2 sea days to end the cruise, which is usually my preference!

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'm very excited. Never been to Grand Turk or St. Kitts. Love St. Maarten.

Wonderful itinerary, I did it on the Adventure OTS. Go on the Sunshine with an open mind, and do not think of comparing it to the Oasis. That class is something special. I am really looking forward to seeing the Sunshine in October. I switch between RCI, Carnival, and NCL and like them all. In St. Kitts, check out Thenford Grey tours. He takes you all around the island, and is a fantastic tour guide. Have a great cruise.

I have posted before about Sunshine, but to summarize: We are long time RCI cruisers and went on Sunshine in June as our first Carnival cruise. It was a last minute thing and we went in expecting to have fun. We had terrible weather but loved the ship and had a good time anyway. The food options are amazing and the "no cost" options beat RCI hands down. We liked the comedy club and even went to one production show, which is unusual for us, and liked it just fine. The Serenity area is outstanding on this ship. We did not use the MDR much and we found the food to be equivalent to RCI. Overall, we were impressed and have two more Carnival cruises booked.

We sailed Sunshine on Aug. 3rd on the 4 day Bermuda cruise. Our last Carnival cruise was 10 years ago. We booked it last minute and I was a bit nervous after reading so many negative things about this ship. But I have to say we were pleasantly surprised and had a really great time. No complaints here! Enjoy!! :)

It's hard because every cruise can be different and expectations can be different. This is my 5th cruise. I'm not a cruise connoisseur as I know many on here are. I'm just going in open minded and hoping I have fun, have good weather and the ship is decent. I won't compare it to Oasis. Oasis was amazing, but there were negatives for me. But it's an incredible behomoth. I'd do it again. I'm curious to do carnival since I've only known royal. Regardless, it'll be a learning experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Trying to keep an open mind.

You seen to be starting your information gathering with a hesitation and an opinion where it is already a stretch to "keep an open mind"???

There are hundreds of reviews here on cruise critic regarding the Sunshine, do a search here and start reading for many, many, many opinions....

Cruised on the Sunshine 4x and will be heading to NY next week to cruise on her to Boston, Portland, Halifax, and Saint John. Yes she has some quirks from the remodeling but all in all it is a great ship. It takes a bit to learn the deck flows but once you have that down you'll be set. You have a great itinerary and will have a blast.

Cheers and happy cruising.

Cruised on the Sunshine 4x and will be heading to NY next week to cruise on her to Boston, Portland, Halifax, and Saint John. Yes she has some quirks from the remodeling but all in all it is a great ship. It takes a bit to learn the deck flows but once you have that down you'll be set. You have a great itinerary and will have a blast.

Cheers and happy cruising.

Me too...Sept 2...from St Pete!

Trying to keep an open mind.

You seen to be starting your information gathering with a hesitation and an opinion where it is already a stretch to "keep an open mind"???

There are hundreds of reviews here on cruise critic regarding the Sunshine, do a search here and start reading for many, many, many opinions....

Perhaps a bad choice of words. I'm excited and expecting a great cruise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Love, love, love the Sunshine! Sailed out of New York last summer and again this past July. It's a weird layout that takes some getting used to, but you're on vacation, so it's all good. Emma is a fantastic CD, and she sets such a positive and fun tone for the entire staff. Everyone seems to love what they do, and it shows. Piano bar guy was a disappointment after Patrick, but there were plenty of other musical options. Spent our sea days relaxing in the sunshine by the pool, Serenity is amazing. Evenings started at Alchemy for pre-dinner drinks where the bartenders were THE BEST! Amazing drinks, lots of laughs...they felt like friends by the end of the cruise. Food was really good, love the Steakhouse, and we had breakfast in the MDR most mornings. Excited to try the Horizon next summer, but I will definitely miss "walking on Sunshine!" Enjoy, and tell Javorka, Parviz and Cesar that Elisabeth & Kelly say hello!

Thanks for all the info! Looking at a last minute cruise on it for my birthday in a few weeks and there are next to no cabins left.

Being an older ship, did anyone feel more motion especially on the upper decks? There are some spa cabins just past the upper level above the pool on deck 10. Realize might get some noise at night from the deck parties, but not sure how much motion we might feel in this location.

Only other option is deck 6 in the front, but you are above the liquid lounge and would expect plenty of noise/vibration plus possible motion there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Leaning towards deck 10 if we do it. Doubt any other cabins will pop up this close to sailing.

Thanks!

Thanks for the great info. My kids saw the Sunshine docked next to us in Grand Turk when we were on the Magic and decided it was the next ship they wanted to sail (bc it has 3 water slides, LOL)!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums