So is the balcony in Alaska a must?

kirbyrox

Well I'm back amigos, and I have Alaska on my mine... so I will be going to Alask in feb not sure which ship yet but it will be, whatevers leaving in and out of Seattle at the time... but yes I will be going with family and friends and they will all be getting balconys just woundering is it really worth it or is visiting them in their cabins be enough? This will be my first alaska cruise and a bit excited... what's the weather like in Feb? Sea conditions? Sea food selction more extravagant? How many jackets will I need to bring?

Well I'm back amigos, and I have Alaska on my mine... so I will be going to Alask in feb not sure which ship yet but it will be, whatevers leaving in and out of Seattle at the time... but yes I will be going with family and friends and they will all be getting balconys just woundering is it really worth it or is visiting them in their cabins be enough? This will be my first alaska cruise and a bit excited... what's the weather like in Feb? Sea conditions? Sea food selction more extravagant? How many jackets will I need to bring?

Going to Alaska in February?? I'd love to hear more about that! If in fact there is a standard cruise going then, it'll be mighty cold..and dark! Winter days are VERY short in Alaska, even in the lower part that you'd be cruising, out of Seattle!

I'd check that date before you start packing. Otherwise you'll need heavy duty winter clothing, unless you intend to stay INside the ship all the time.

It all depends on how much you want to spend for a room seeing how your family members will have a balcony. Me personally, I loved the idea of getting up in the morning and having my coffee on the balcony and looking at the wonderful sights such as the eagles, glaciers and just the beauty of Alaska.

You could try and get adjoining balconies and open the door between yas and then you will have plenty of room for all of you to enjoy the scenery. If cost is an issue then I say get an inside room and use their balconies but remember that they are not that big where you could have a bunch of people there and see everything. You will love Alaska and it's beauty. Enjoy.

I haven't been to alaska yet, going in May 2011. I am getting a balcony because I don't know when or if I'll get to go back, some people on CC say get a balcony if you can afford it, BUT if it takes away money for your excursion, go for the excursion, because they are expensive in alaska. I think I'll enjoy sitting on my balcony seeing the nice scenery while waking up drinking coffee in the morning, while my husband is still asleep I'm sure. You can always go inside and get warm and go back out again. just my opinion. We went on a cruise last dec. and my inlaws got a balcony and yes you can see what a balcony is like, but wish we had our own at the time. I don't think cruise ships go to alaska in Feb, they start in May - Sept. I believe all cc members will probably say you'll love alaska no matter what decision you make, have fun :)

When we went to Alaska we did have a balcony, but we met up with our friends out on the deck more then we used the balcony. I agree with the previous poster save your money for the excursions they are very expensive in Alaska.

are you sure you are going in frebruary???? in feb, no, i think you could do without a balcony; but when we went in june, i wouldn't have given it up! the coolest part was waking up at 2 or so and still seeing the landscape out the balcony and going out and enjoying ( with a heavy jacket on) because it was still twilight. the balcony was wonderful---but in june.

are you sure you are going in february? which cruise ship????good luck with your choices-grams98

For us the balcony is a necessity. Though we spend a great deal of time in the public areas, there are countless moments during a day where we're watching the water or passing scenery - and are often treated to critter sightings that we would have missed otherwise. We think of it an "excursion" in itself, that lasts the entire cruise. Even when we took a September b2b where it rained constantly, we got our money's worth. If you can afford it, I'd go for it. We've just booked our 4th Alaska cruise (our first out of Seattle) and yep - balcony.

Since you are posting on the Princess Cruise Board I assume that you want to sail with them out of Seattle in February. The problem is that the Alaskan cruise season does not start until May unless a February cruise is something new for 2011. As for the balcony if you don't want to spend extra for it and your relatives don't mind you dropping by I would not get one. We did get a balcony cabin on our cruise because my wife insisted that we get one. Her friends said that once you have a balcony you will always book another balcony. Alaska was our first cruise and we now upgraded to mini suites. We went in May and for me it was cold. But one advantage to having a balcony in Alaska when its cold is that you can always step back in the cabin to warm up before going back outside. That's what we did when the ship was going through Tracy Arms.

I don't see an itinerary on the Princess website for Alaska in Feb. The first sailing I see is in April. Are you sailing another cruise line?

I can't stand the cold dark NY winters. I can't imagine how cold and windy it would be standing on a ships balcony sailing through Alaska in Feb. Not to mention it will be dark most of the day so I don't know how much you would see.

Yep, check the Alaska schedules, Feb. is not large ship cruising time! They don't start until May usually. Balcony isn't a necessity, a matter of personal preference and if it cuts into your spending money, I wouldn't do it.

Years ago I was fortunate to sail in the end of April from LA up to Alaska, all the usual ports plus Sitka, Haines and Wrangall. We were the first ship of the season, a small Royal Caribbean ship, so great to be there without several thousand people. The train trip was awesome with snow still on the ground. I have a picture of myself, short sleeves standing by the train with all this snow!

Don't let the weather scare you, layers are fine. I brought way too much clothes and did not wear the zip out liner for my winter jacket. I put it on over a hoodie and was good to go. I did the same thing for Iceland and Greenland, even through the fjords in September. Of course, I live in the midwest so cooler temps are no big deal.

I suspect there is an error re the February date. So onto the question of a balcony in Alaska. Balconies are nice but they can be hard to justify in the shoulder months of May and September when is likely going to be wet and cool and not conducive to balcony sitting. Another thing is that if you are going to spend a lot of time on your balcony you are only going to see half of Alaska....there is a whole other side to it on the other side of the ship. To get the biggest bang out of an Alaskan cruise one needs to be out on deck or in a lounge that either faces fore or aft.

I agree with Putterdude. We have done Alaska 7 times. Once we were upgraded free to a balcony. It was great, but I wouldn't pay for it. But we still spent most of our time on the deck. As for sharing other's balconies, the only time I used ours was "spur of the moment" -- glance out to see something while waiting for DH to shower, or first thing in the morning, or each time into/out of the cabin. But I didn't spend much time on the balcony. We buy insides so we can cruise more often or use the money for other extras.

Balcony a must? I don't think so.

We sailed to Alaska before there were balconies on ships - the beauty is still there, whether you are on a balcony, an open deck, or in a lounge.

I don't think you will find any ships going to Alaska in February.

To each his own. I consider a balcony in Alaska a must. Europe, no; Caribbean, no; Alaska, yes. You will be almost always within sight of land...and not just any land, the most beautiful scenery I have ever experienced. Treat yourself, if you can afford it.

As to the balcony question...we've been to Alaska 3 times, never in a balcony. WE spend way too much time out on the deck, listening to the naturalist, interacting with the rest of the passengers..

when we're not in port. Alaska is a very port-intensive itinerary.

We just don't think the balcony is worth the $$, especially in your case where you'll have plenty of opportunity to spend time on someone elses!

Some of it may also be the itinerary of the Alaska cruise you choose. I know when we were in College Fjord at 5:30am, it was nice to have the Balcony, throw on a robe, go out and watch the Harvard Glacier cav, then go right back in the room.

We really used our balcony alot in Alaska, listening to the wildlife guides on the tv.

While not a must, it was certainly a nice to have, along with the Thermal Spa to warm up after the chill outside.

I've sailed Alaska 15 times and not once with a balcony. I'd spend the money saved on either excursions or another cruise. The outside decks provide ample opportunity to see all the sights, I'm also the type that would wonder what I was missing on the other side of the ship if just viewing from my balcony.

We didn't have a balcony and was happy to save the money. On the balcony you can't hear the naturalist narration and if there is a pod of whales on the other side of the ship, you'll miss them. Whereas if you're on deck during sea days, you can move quickly to whatever side of the ship you need to be on to see all there is to see. Besides, you usually only have 2 sea days so I'd suggest no balcony.

Haven't done AK in a number of years, but balconies at least for us were a must.....:):):)

Bob

Four times to Alaska (twice with balconies and twice without). I always prefer a balcony, but (given a limited budget) I'd much rather spend the additional money on shore excursions. Alaska is far more spectacular if you can get up in the air or a boat excursion--preferably both. I've done helicopters, float planes, glacier landings, whale watching, misty fjords (by plane and boat). Those experiences are way more memorable than having a balcony. If it is a matter of choosing between the balcony and air/boat shore excursions, I'd go with the shore excursions every time.

Nice to be able to sit on the balcony, but the views are much more panoramic/spectacular at the public areas (on deck, Skywalkers).

The cruise season to Alaska is from May to September. May & September are recommended for smaller crowds. Late June is recommended for lots of daylight hours. July & August are recommended for better weather and animal viewing.

As to whether or not you need a balcony, it depends on whether you want to spend the extra money or not. Some people say they are necessary, some say they aren't. I would factor in the amount of sea days and glacier days and time in port as to how much you would use a balcony.

Make sure that chose an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay.

Good luck!

Beth :D

On our recent voyage on the Sea Princess, we had an oceanview on the Emerald deck which was right below the Promenade. We did spend a lot of time on deck, but if we were in the cabin and saw something interesting, it was very easy to run one flight up and out the Promenade doors.

We went in May 2010 and did NOT have a balcony and we were both fine with it. We had a blast. We decided we would rather spend our extra money on excursions! By the way, this was the best vacation we have had and we've both traveled a lot. We fell in love with Alaska! Enjoy! :D

If your going to Alaska in FEB (as you stated), I wouldn't bother with a balcony as there is less than 8 hrs of day light and you really wouldn't see a whole lot. BTW, what ship were you planning on cruising?:rolleyes: Maybe ice road truckers are offering a special!!

Otherwise, I would recommend a balcony for your first trip.

Archived