what to do in st. M. when you've been there 10x already

ownercarry

ok, not 10 but 6.

lots of trips to french side for their marketplace and lunch, orient beach, had a 747 land on our heads, rented a car and got totally lost (FR side mostly) and the usual downtown marketplace stuff.

are we doomed to just chill at a beach?

veterans, please - lmk.

ok, not 10 but 6.

lots of trips to french side for their marketplace and lunch, orient beach, had a 747 land on our heads, rented a car and got totally lost (FR side mostly) and the usual downtown marketplace stuff.

veterans, please - lmk.

How about the same thing we do after 57 weeks on-island and twenty-something days of cruise-related visits.

Beach. bars, restaurants and a good amount of (mostly jewelry) shopping?

gary

My DIL is Dutch and we have started going to local grocery stores to pick up requested items. Really talking to the employees gives you a different insight to their island and they have given us many tips on things to do. Have you considered chartering a sailboat? Snorkeling Creole rock? Hiking? Hotel day pass? Beach hopping... write the name of the beach in the sand and take a photo, jump in the water, have a drink lay in the sun and move to the next one. Check out TravelAdvisor. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

My first visit to St. Maarten was in July/August, 1970 and, my goodness, have things changed since then! Some for the good; not surprisingly, some not for the good.

I love the Barcalona-style Ramblas-type boardwalk along the beach. The small shopping village constructed near the cruise ship piers is a pleasant area around which to wander. The variety of tours has greatly expanded and all that I have purchased have been well operated and enjoyable. And, the people remain tourist-oriented and friendly.

When I first visited, Philipsburg consisted of Front Street and Back Street. That was it. Where the water taxi now docks was where the ship's tender pier was. I "enjoy" visiting that area once in awhile and remember: (Key Barbara Streisand) "The Way We Were". All the while dodging my fellow cruisers and automobiles.

St. Maarten holds many good memories for me. It is always a joy to re-visit.

oh man, did you see the rain we got in phx today?! wow.

anyhow, let's not switch this post to that please.

we're family of 4, boys 8/10 and looking for something for all of us. they'll only want the beach for so long, hate shopping and def. didn't appreciate it when i got us all lost last time in the rental car.

wasn't looking to spend a fortune either. maybe best is to stay on the ship, just didn't think so as we have 3 sea days.

thanks for suggestions!

The boys may really enjoy Maho beach. You can catch a $2 bus (minivan) by walking to Back St. which runs parallel to Front St. in Philipsburg, very easy to find. It's about a 15-20 min walk from your ship to Back St. Their license plate will indicate *BUS* and they will have a sign in the window stating Maho. If you see a sign indicating Mullet, you can ask the driver if he'll take you to Maho.

When you get off the bus at Maho, ask the driver exactly where you should be to wait for the return bus back to Philipsburg.

It sounds like there are a lot of islands in St. Maarten that you still haven't visited. You might want to check out some other options here:

http://www.stmartinisland.org/st-martin-st-maarten-activities/st-martin-st-maarten-beaches.html

Pinel Island off of orient is beautiful if you haven't been there yet. Not all islands equate to beach time.

You could taxi it or have Bernard's Tours set you up something special with their private tour.

http://www.bernardstours.com/tours.html

Private Tour

Choice of Beach and Sightseeing - 6 Hour Tour Maximum

$360 for guests 1-5, then $40/pp thereafter | $50 Deposit

*$50 pp for groups over ten

This tour caters to your group only. You get a vehicle just for your group for the whole day. It offers the flexibility of choosing your own itinerary. You choose your own pick up and drop off time, where you want to go how long you want to stay at each site or beach, its all up to you. We cater to all of your needs for the day.

For example: Visit two or three beaches of your choice - we could take you to Orient Bay, La Galion and maybe even Mullet Bay. When you are finished swimming for the day we will take you sightseeing around the island. Then we will go to Philipsburg or Marigot to go shopping, go for lunch, just anything that your heart desires!

The size of your group does not matter. When booking the private tour, please indicate in the reservation form that you are private.

Don't Hesitate, Book Your Private Tour Now!!

I'll be back with more ideas.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

oh man, did you see the rain we got in phx today?! wow.

anyhow, let's not switch this post to that please.

we're family of 4, boys 8/10 and looking for something for all of us. they'll only want the beach for so long, hate shopping and def. didn't appreciate it when i got us all lost last time in the rental car.

wasn't looking to spend a fortune either. maybe best is to stay on the ship, just didn't think so as we have 3 sea days.

thanks for suggestions!

Perhaps include a visit to The Zoo?

It's only minutes from the Cruise Facility and Downtown, so could be added before or after any beach visit that you might decide on.

gary

ok, not 10 but 6.

veterans, please - lmk.

Exploring the Simpson Bay Lagoon in your own small motor boat rented at the Boathouse boat rentals would be something new for you. You can tie the boat up in Marigot or at the Puerto Cupecoy and explore a little.

Yes, please try Pinel Island and take a taxi there and back and then report back to all of us dying to know the latest updates on ease of return by taxi and how early the ferry shuttle boats start going out there! Inquiring minds really need to know! :D

I bet if you email Bernard s tour they could tell you about the ferry situation.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

so many new responses i love it.

the allure is there 8-5 so i don't know if pinal is in the cards and the cost of taxi, then ferry, then whatever we need there, and make sure back in time, i don't know. the video sure looked good though.

simpson bay lagoon might be kinda fun though. could motor all around in there, even right by the airport. any idea what that costs?

thanks again y'all

"Doomed to chill at the beach." Funny way to think about a Caribbean island popular for its beaches and weather. Folks who own condos, time shares, or rent (us) on the island do go for the beaches, weather, food, and to a lesser degree...shopping. That is what Caribbean islands are all about...unless you want to pay the big bucks for golf. If you want to go sightseeing head over to Europe, Africa, Asia, New Zealand, etc. If you want sun and sand go to the Caribbean. I should tell you that the folks who live on St Martin laugh at the cruise ship passengers who flock out to Maho (where there is very little beach at the moment) just to watch an occasional aircraft. There have been some serious injuries at this beach,...primarily for those who stand by the fence and wait for a big jet to blow a pebble (like a speeding bullet) into their head, eye, etc.

So here is an idea if you are crazy. Rent a car at the port and drive over to Friars Bay (on the French side). Then hike over the hill (and through lots of vegetation) over to Happy Bay/Beach where you can take off all your clothes and relax on this semi-private beach :). Now aren't you sorry you asked?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

so many new responses i love it.

the allure is there 8-5 so i don't know if pinal is in the cards and the cost of taxi, then ferry, then whatever we need there, and make sure back in time, i don't know. the video sure looked good though.

simpson bay lagoon might be kinda fun though. could motor all around in there, even right by the airport. any idea what that costs?

thanks again y'all

http://www.boatrentalsxm.com/ will have all the info that you will need. We rented it for 3 hours and paid $100 plus fuel. :)

Edited by Karysa

ok, not 10 but 6.

veterans, please - lmk.

You may have missed "Juggies Place-"World's Smallest Bar " in Phillipsburg.

$2.99 for 2 cold beers and a cuban cigar. Located right off Front St.

9k=

ok, not 10 but 6.

veterans, please - lmk.

Like you, we have been to St. Maarten many several times. Once I took my young daughter to do the horseback riding on the beach where the horses swim with you! My daughter still says it was THE BEST tour we have ever taking next to swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel. Neither one of us ride horses and felt safe the entire time. Look into it. I believe Lucky Stables was the name. Bus picked us up and returned us. We NEVER buy souvenirs just bring back memories and not the cluttered junk. :) Heading that way again in Jan 2015. Enjoy