Older couple - new to rccl

We have only cruised Disney and Princess but have our first RCI on Oasis coming up soon . Since booking , I have perused this Board and have found it to be informative and entertaining but I still have a few questions that I am hoping you more experienced folks will answer for me.

Since we will have access to the SL and CK :

1 - On embarkation day , do you find that most come to dinner in CK more casually attired ?

2 - On formal night , do those who dress more formally usually dine in the MDR rather than CK ? This is not a discussion about what to wear...that has already been decided on our part.

3 - It is my understanding that SL is open 24/7 and has a fancy coffee machine. Does it also brew a regular cup ? We are early risers and enjoy a good cup before heading to the gym.

4 - If we should order coffee from Room Service , does the coffee come in an open spout carafe or a thermos type container that will hold the heat longer ?

5 - Are there small night lights in the bathrooms ?

Seemingly small inconsequential items to some but things that will be nice to know ahead of time for us first timers. When I identified us as "older couple" that is a description of bones and skin , for we are very young at heart and are looking forward to this new adventure. :D

We saw a mix of casual and better than casual in CK on the first night. You will be fine whatever you want to wear.

You can brew close to a regular cup of coffee by brewing an espresso and adding hot water. They call this an Americano.

Thank you , Bob. It doesn't take long reading these Threads to find who are the reliable folks to depend on for good advice so I thank you for the quick response.

You're welcome and hopefully some of the many other reliable folks on this forum can answer the other questions.

If you have any interest to talk with your fellow cruisers going on the Oasis the same week as you, click on the link below and find your specific week to begin getting to know them!;) They may be very helpful with answering future questions!:rolleyes: Have a great cruise!:*

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=549

As mentioned, the coffee from room service comes in a thermal carafe. BUT, put down LARGE POT or you'll get a small pot that is 2 cups. Also CK has a fixed menu that changes through the week so if you go every night it'll repeat itself. I think there is a night light in the hair dryer, but don't really remember if it's on all ships or not. We use our cell phone and also bring a small flashlight for by the bed.

4 - If we should order coffee from Room Service , does the coffee come in an open spout carafe or a thermos type container that will hold the heat longer ?

5 - Are there small night lights in the bathrooms ?

4. Coffee via room service are in thermal carafes but it is not very good (IMHO).

5. Not in balconies... never had a suite on Oasis.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

You will see many guests in CK for early dinner on the first night in shorts. Later seatings tend to have fewer shorts as their luggage has arrived. CK does seem more casual than the MDR, and depending upon the week you mays see shorts every evening in CK.

Embarkation night in CK seems about the same as most other nights. CK and SL seem to be business causal after cocktail hour. We usually go up there for a pre-dinner cocktail and wear slacks and collared shirt. On formal night I still wear a tux. But you will see suits/ties, sport coats and open collar also.

I don't recall a night light in our two OS, but there might be.

As suggested order two pots of coffee otherwise you won't get enough. However, if you are in a GS or about you should have a coffee maker to make you own. Our first time in an OS on the Oasis we had a nice French Press. This second time in an OS on Allure we had a normal hotel type coffee maker with those coffee filter disc.

The espresso machine in SL is open 24/7 and is awesome. I wish I had one at home. It will make whatever you want.

Enjoy your cruise, we are "older" too and I thought your post was interesting, as you get older the more important things don't always matter as much as the little things, like the bathroom light and the coffee!

I can't dispute anyone's answers as while we've been on 19 cruises, we've been on 6 different cruiselines and 19 different ships but never this class of ship but I will say we always bring the led candles and they do provide nice light and are really cheap and small to pack, two very important things to me. I also use my phone or tablet light to help me get to the bathroom, heck I even do that at home!