10:15 am flight from Barcelona

ssCRUISERS

Could you make a 10:15 am flight with the ship arriving at 6 am.

Theoretically it's possible. I wouldn't try it. I don't like stress and missing flights.

there's a lot of assumptions at play, the ship is on time, it clears easily, you can get off and self disembark. International flight? You need to be there a couple of hours in advance and deal with security, etc.

Personally, I would stay overnight in Barcelona and take that flight the next day. There's always something to see in Barcelona and the ambience is wonderful ;)

For our upcoming cruise, we decided - based on what we had read from other folks' experiences on CC - not to risk a similar departure time and are staying over a night post-cruise. Hotels rates are pretty reasonable, we booked at Hotel Jazz.

The destination of your flight or the first leg of your flight will make a difference for the answer. If it is a European destination within the Schengen area I would book the flight. Barcelona airport is about 30min by taxi from port. Taxis are normally plenty in port. 90 min before flight doing the check in would be fine for me. I fly within Schengen about every 2 weeks and feel comfortable with this. Customs happens for the flight that leaves the Schengen area, and the formalities are then specifically for the transatlantic flight.

We just left Barcelona on 9/13 on a 10:45 flight on a Sunday. No problems. We departed the ship at 7:30 and had a pre-arranged car waiting for us. The car service was about 35 Euro more than the taxi but worth if for the piece of mind.

If you are trying to get a VAT refund that line was about 30-40 minutes.

One thing we learned. If you have you bags checked the airline will not fly without you. We were an hour late departing as they had bags on board for a couple but the couple was stuck in Passport control. They either had to wait for the couple or unload the bags and remove theirs, this is post 9/11.

One other thing about Barcelona. They have a security check for certain passengers at the gate. My wife was called out, taken to a separate area and totally searched. She was then secured in a secure area and taken to the airplane separately. I had read about this on CC so we were not alarmed.

We just left Barcelona on 9/13 on a 10:45 flight on a Sunday. No problems. We departed the ship at 7:30 and had a pre-arranged car waiting for us. The car service was about 35 Euro more than the taxi but worth if for the piece of mind.

I see you got off the ship at 7:30. Did you walk off with your bags? Or did you put them outside the night before and retrieve them? My husband and I have a 10:15 flight as well. We were wondering if we needed to keep our bags and carry them to make it off in time?

Thanks, Leah

We have a flight booked thru Princess on EZair BCN-JFK that leaves at that time. I don't think Princess would book that flight if there wasn't enough time. We will probably take ships transfer. Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi would. Be?

We have a flight booked thru Princess on EZair BCN-JFK that leaves at that time. I don't think Princess would book that flight if there wasn't enough time. We will probably take ships transfer. Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi would. Be?

The set price for 39 euro from the port to the airport is an even better deal in early hours as it includes the port and airport surcharges and up to 4 bags. They do not charge more prior to 8 am as the metered taxis from the city do.

The driver should put on fare T4 on the meter right from the port and not add any surcharges. Fares are posted in the rear right window if you are unsure.

Early flights only become problematic on dates when they implement 'enhanced security measures' and as a passenger there is no way for you to know when they will do this as the dates are random and not on a regular schedule.

The set price for 39 euro from the port to the airport is an even better deal in early hours as it includes the port and airport surcharges and up to 4 bags. They do not charge more prior to 8 am as the metered taxis from the city do.

The driver should put on fare T4 on the meter right from the port and not add any surcharges. Fares are posted in the rear right window if you are unsure.

Early flights only become problematic on dates when they implement 'enhanced security measures' and as a passenger there is no way for you to know when they will do this as the dates are random and not on a regular schedule.

Thank you for info. That would be 39 euro per taxi not person? Does the taxi take credit card? How much of a delay would be caused by "enhanced security measures" and how often are they scheduled?

Thank you for info. That would be 39 euro per taxi not person? Does the taxi take credit card? How much of a delay would be caused by "enhanced security measures" and how often are they scheduled?

While more and more taxis are taking cards, you can not plan on that being the case and need to have euros with you.

It is definitely per taxi. Early disembarks do not usually experience lines, while the line does build up after 08:30 until about 09:45, but they do move quickly even then.

If you ever here there is an incident in the UK or Germany or almost anywhere else, they seem to implement heightened security. They add about 30 minutes to the minimum times. That would be 1 hour 15 minutes for inter-Europe Schengen and 1 hour 45 minutes for non-Schengen.

Many flights to the US add gate security and this can add another 20 minutes at the gate.

Basically in the worst case, you have a check in line, an airport security line, a passport control line for non-Schengen and then a gate line and possible selection for additional screening at gate.

The airport recommends 3 hours prior for non-Schengen and 2 hours prior for Schengen for arrival at the airport, but this long is rarely needed.

We are sailing on the Harmony of the Seas next June and through RCCL we got our flights to and from New York but have a 10:00 am flight out of BCN. Sounds like things will be tight in getting to the airport. When do the taxis start lining up at the port? Are we better off prearranging a car for my wife and I to get us to the airport? Are there any suggestions if you recommend a car and what the cost is?

Thank you so very much in advance!!

Ken

We are sailing on the Harmony of the Seas next June and through RCCL we got our flights to and from New York but have a 10:00 am flight out of BCN. Sounds like things will be tight in getting to the airport. When do the taxis start lining up at the port? Are we better off prearranging a car for my wife and I to get us to the airport? Are there any suggestions if you recommend a car and what the cost is?

Thank you so very much in advance!!

Ken

As the ships are sailing in to the port between 4 and 6 AM you see the 100s of little green lights of taxis waiting in the holding area. They constantly pull taxis into each terminal at a rate of about 20 taxis per 5 minutes or about 250 taxis per hour per terminal as needed.

A taxi will most likely continue to cost 39 euros all inclusive to the airport. A pre-booked car will be about double that.

The set taxi fare was new for 2015 and 2016 fares will be released after the 6th of January 2016.

As the ships are sailing in to the port between 4 and 6 AM you see the 100s of little green lights of taxis waiting in the holding area. They constantly pull taxis into each terminal at a rate of about 20 taxis per 5 minutes or about 250 taxis per hour per terminal as needed.

A taxi will most likely continue to cost 39 euros all inclusive to the airport. A pre-booked car will be about double that.

The set taxi fare was new for 2015 and 2016 fares will be released after the 6th of January 2016.

Thank you MADflyer! When do the taxis start lining up at the port?

Thank you MADflyer! When do the taxis start lining up at the port?

Around 4 AM. Most sit a couple hours to get their first fare. The taxis are regulated in Barcelona and they are all well aware of ship and passenger movements. There is a taxi coordinator at each terminal that is in communication with the central holding area and taxis are sent as needed to each terminal.

Around 4 AM. Most sit a couple hours to get their first fare. The taxis are regulated in Barcelona and they are all well aware of ship and passenger movements. There is a taxi coordinator at each terminal that is in communication with the central holding area and taxis are sent as needed to each terminal.

Thank you again MADflyer for the information!! Extremely helpful as I will plan on using the taxi as oppose to the RCCL transfers or private car.

One thing we learned. If you have you bags checked the airline will not fly without you. We were an hour late departing as they had bags on board for a couple but the couple was stuck in Passport control. They either had to wait for the couple or unload the bags and remove theirs, this is post 9/11.

One other thing about Barcelona. They have a security check for certain passengers at the gate. My wife was called out, taken to a separate area and totally searched. She was then secured in a secure area and taken to the airplane separately. I had read about this on CC so we were not alarmed.

Any recommendations on a pre-arranged car service to use from the port to BCN? We are travelling in a group of 5 and are assuming that a standard taxi would not be able to accommodate us w/ 5 large suitcases.

• 2 weeks later...

Our trip was on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Oct 19 to November 2 2015

Disembark at 6:30pm - assume security is fairly rapid, a 11:xxAM should be OK.

BUT - our ship was not able yo get into Barcelona port on 11/2 - port was closed for safety reasons - high winds and waves and we spend 11/2 cruising back and forth in the Med.

We docked the next day at about 7:00am.

Murphy's Law - when anything can go wrong ...

People scrambling to re-arrange flight which were pretty crowded to begin with.

I personally would never book a flight out on the same day you disembark