Schooner Bar on QUANTUM? YES!

eroller

Cruise Business Review has some excellent articles on QUANTUM in the current issue. One is about Food & Beverage. Brian Abel, VP of F&B for Royal Caribbean discusses the Schooner Bar. On QUANTUM he states the Schooner Bar's decor and menu will reflect the cruise line's heritage over the past 40 years. For instance the menu's will feature Royal Caribbean ships launched in the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. along with cocktails from those eras. Also the Schooner Bar will feature really cool images of Royal Caribbean ships throughout history. This concept is expected to migrate to other Royal Caribbean ships as well.

In another article more about the technical & design aspects of QUANTUM, Scott Wilson, Director at Wilson Butler Architects discusses some of his favorite areas. One is something we haven't heard much about, the Solarium. He states "One of the things I love the most is the solarium and cascading pool with stepped terraces and commanding views over the bow of the ship. "Here, four lagoons/circular pools are connected with water flowing from one to another. "The imagery is of sitting in a mountain stream in pools of water," he explained, which caused "quite a few eyes to roll" but noted WBA is no stranger to these challenges having been involved with many other challenging features on Royal Caribbean ships.

It all sounds cool to me!

Another interesting mention by Scott Wilson from the same article …

"One significant change aboard the QUANTUM OF THE SEAS is that instead of the horizontal Royal Promenade that's found on the Oasis-class ships, there is an asymmetric Royal Esplanade that alters the vessel's passenger flow".

So there you have it … The Royal Esplanade and no it's not a straight line!

Cruise Business Review has some excellent articles on QUANTUM in the current

In another article more about the technical & design aspects of QUANTUM, Scott Wilson, Director at Wilson Butler Architects discusses some of his favorite areas.

Wilson Butler, who designed the Aqua Theater on Quantum class also are the designers of the RipCord by IFLY on Quantum among other areas. They featured this on their website back in April.

http://wilsonbutler.squarespace.com/newsfeed/?currentPage=2

They were integral in the Mein Shiff 3 from TUI along with the latest Celebrity Solstice class ships.

Cruise Business Review has some excellent articles on QUANTUM in the current issue. One is about Food & Beverage. Brian Abel, VP of F&B for Royal Caribbean discusses the Schooner Bar. On QUANTUM he states the Schooner Bar's decor and menu will reflect the cruise line's heritage over the past 40 years. For instance the menu's will feature Royal Caribbean ships launched in the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. along with cocktails from those eras. Also the Schooner Bar will feature really cool images of Royal Caribbean ships throughout history. This concept is expected to migrate to other Royal Caribbean ships as well.

In another article more about the technical & design aspects of QUANTUM, Scott Wilson, Director at Wilson Butler Architects discusses some of his favorite areas. One is something we haven't heard much about, the Solarium. He states "One of the things I love the most is the solarium and cascading pool with stepped terraces and commanding views over the bow of the ship. "Here, four lagoons/circular pools are connected with water flowing from one to another. "The imagery is of sitting in a mountain stream in pools of water," he explained, which caused "quite a few eyes to roll" but noted WBA is no stranger to these challenges having been involved with many other challenging features on Royal Caribbean ships.

The excitement just continues to build, thank you for the updates.

"One significant change aboard the QUANTUM OF THE SEAS is that instead of the horizontal Royal Promenade that's found on the Oasis-class ships, there is an asymmetric Royal Esplanade that alters the vessel's passenger flow".

Brilliant, thanks Ernie :D :D

Now we have a bar :D :D

I think you will find that RipCord by IFLY was probably designed by IFLY, and that The Aqua Theatre is on The Oasis and Allure. However that is not to take away from the good work done by BW who probably designed the areas around the features on the ship.

Wilson Butler, who designed the Aqua Theater on Quantum class also are the designers of the RipCord by IFLY on Quantum among other areas. They featured this on their website back in April.

http://wilsonbutler.squarespace.com/newsfeed/?currentPage=2

They were integral in the Mein Shiff 3 from TUI along with the latest Celebrity Solstice class ships.

And Richard Fain called it the Esplanade during the media tour on August 25, 2014.

Thank you ! I just seen on Facebook your from my neck of the woods !

I think you will find that RipCord by IFLY was probably designed by IFLY, and that The Aqua Theatre is on The Oasis and Allure. However that is not to take away from the good work done by BW who probably designed the areas around the features on the ship.

Correct just like the Flowrider is a 3rd party manufacturer. Even so, you can't just plop these land-based attractions on a ship without significant coordination with the designers and engineers. The same article I referenced earlier in the thread also speaks of the RipCord. Kulovaara (EVP Maritime for RCCL) stated that Royal Caribbean has been considering the RipCord for a number of years, but to date its been "too noisy, too heavy, too bulky, and energy consuming". Nonetheless two years ago Royal Caribbean decided to install one anyway on QUANTUM. Scott Wilson explained the aeronautical engineering of QUANTUM had to be completely re-imagined to accommodate RipCord.

This article touches on so many amazing features of QUANTUM from a technical standpoint. She will really be something else. Here are some others …

- ALS (Air Lubrication System) - was tested on CELEBRITY REFLECTION and will go full-scale with QUANTUM.

- LED Lighting - for all lighting on QUANTUM

- Scrubbers (AEP - Advanced Purification System by Wartsila) - first on a RCI ship and very complex and expensive to operate. The volume is huge, with the main cylinder being 3.5 meters in diameter and 12 meters high. The whole system weighs about 1000 tons. Scrubbers also consume a ton of energy and water as first you have to pump large amounts of water to a high level and secondly because fans are required to compensate for back pressure on the engines.

- Lifeboats - each holds 313 persons and are supplied by Fassmer

- Safety Center on the Bridge has an 80 inch TV screen instead of many smaller screens as on other ships. It allows the operator to view many functions at the same time.

Two70 - Kulovaara notes it's the most complex room he has ever been part of building. Lots of structural sophistication and since there is no backstage, all backstage elements had to be concealed in very clever ways. There is a special acoustical layer between the space and the suites above to ensure they are quiet.

North Star - Another feature from land brought to a marine environment which required considerable technical skill. A technology verification process came from the offshore oil and gas industries, where complex processes are often handled. The German safety authority TUV Sued and US based amusement ride consultants Celtic Engineering & TWT also played huge roles. The base for the equipment is a customized crane from MacGregor. The North Star has a great deal of safety redundancy so that the gondola can return safely back to the dock in any possible unexpected scenario. A stroke of genius is that is sits directly on top of the lift shafts, which are big structural structures creating a phenomenal foundation.

Connection to the sea - Scott Wilson explains the first thing decided was to make sure every public space was well connected to the sea. From the early planning diagrams, we would evaluate each space for light and air and view. Every prime piece of real estate on the ship has been given to the public spaces. The aim was not to "out-wow" the Oasis Class but to make a new ship that is different.

Project Sunshine Concept - From the start the concept for QUANTUM was very different compared to the Oasis Class. With the Oasis Class a list of what was wanted came first and that dictated the size of the ship. With Quantum it was, this is the size of the ship and what can we put it in" as explained by Scott Wilson. Also, another big difference was that the ship was largely planned and designed before a shipyard was even chosen.

Marioff Hi-Fog System - 3 systems on QUANTUM rather than the standard 2 on other ships. All areas covered and a new nozzle design by Marioff and Autronica will improve their efficiency and lifecycle.

Main Engines - Wartsila 46 (2 x 12V46F at 14.4mW and 2 x 16V46F at 19.2mW). Fairly traditional but upgraded and now equipped with twin pump and twin needle technology to optimize performance and minimize fuel consumption when operating at different loads.

Pods - CELEBRITY REFLECTION was the first RCCL to be fitted with XO Azipods, but the two on QUANTUM have an even greater output at 20.5mW.

Vibration - VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland worked with RCI to develop analysis to reduce vibration and especially detailed analyses were made for the North Star and "Ocean Terraces restaurant at the ship's stern". **Ok I'm not sure what Ocean Terraces restaurant they are referring too - perhaps the Two70 Cafe??**

Bulbous bow & ducktail - optimized for where the ship sails and sea states. 1000 different designs were assessed.

Windjammer Marketplace - will feature upgraded offerings, more action stations, a 24-hour grill and an on-the-spot bakery, as well as a coffee/juice bar and more regionalized food options. The new look and feel is expected to migrate to other ships in the fleet according to Brian Abel (VP of F&B)

Overall Design - Project Sunshine was about taking the best parts of RCCL's existing ships and the lessons learned from them, thinking about itineraries outside the Caribbean and then creating ships designed for those itineraries.

This was probably more technical than most people find interesting, but I absolutely loved this article and learned more about QUANTUM from it than I have in the past year. Hope you enjoyed reading some of the excerpts.

Thank you ! I just seen on Facebook your from my neck of the woods !

Yes Bucks County north of Philadelphia. Born and raised but haven't lived there since I left for collage (UM) at 18. Love visiting family back there though and wow Philly has come a long way since when I was a kid.

Yes Bucks County north of Philadelphia. Born and raised but haven't lived there since I left for collage (UM) at 18. Love visiting family back there though and wow Philly has come a long way since when I was a kid.

Wow, small world! I'm also from Bucks County.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I'm south of Doylestown, but less then a mile from Trenton, NJ. It's changed a lot, but a bigger shame with the huge crime rate

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Vibration - VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland worked with RCI to develop analysis to reduce vibration and especially detailed analyses were made for the North Star and "Ocean Terraces restaurant at the ship's stern". **Ok I'm not sure what Ocean Terraces restaurant they are referring too - perhaps the Two70 Cafe??**

Could that be the outside seating at the Windjammer? Up that high I'm not sure vibration would still be a factor, but it could be.

Based on this description it sounds like the library is becoming the new Schooner Bar. That was always where you could go to find ship models and pictures all over the place. A lot of times it had that same wood feeling as well. Have they traditionally served food at the Schooner Bar though? Wouldn't this mean they have 19 food venues onboard, not 18? It sounds no different than Michael's Genuine Pub which serves small food items along with drinks.

I'm south of Doylestown, but less then a mile from Trenton, NJ. It's changed a lot, but a bigger shame with the huge crime rate

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Grew up mostly in Doylestown and Buckingham. Spent lots of time in New Hope and went to Central Bucks High School East.

Couldn't wait to escape Doylestown but now I love an appreciate the town. Charming as ever but damn its gotten expensive!

Based on this description it sounds like the library is becoming the new Schooner Bar. That was always where you could go to find ship models and pictures all over the place. A lot of times it had that same wood feeling as well. Have they traditionally served food at the Schooner Bar though? Wouldn't this mean they have 19 food venues onboard, not 18? It sounds no different than Michael's Genuine Pub which serves small food items along with drinks.

I don't think the Schooner Bar will serve food. Just an extensive drink menu that is themed to RCI ships of past. Michael's Genuine Pub is more of a traditional pub that serves food and plenty of beer choices, while the Schooner Bar will be more of a cocktail lounge/piano bar. At least that is how I'm seeing it.

Correct just like the Flowrider is a 3rd party manufacturer. Even so, you can't just plop these land-based attractions on a ship without significant coordination with the designers and engineers. The same article I referenced earlier in the thread also speaks of the RipCord. Kulovaara (EVP Maritime for RCCL) stated that Royal Caribbean has been considering the RipCord for a number of years, but to date its been "too noisy, too heavy, too bulky, and energy consuming". Nonetheless two years ago Royal Caribbean decided to install one anyway on QUANTUM. Scott Wilson explained the aeronautical engineering of QUANTUM had to be completely re-imagined to accommodate RipCord.

This article touches on so many amazing features of QUANTUM from a technical standpoint. She will really be something else. Here are some others …

- Scrubbers (AEP - Advanced Purification System by Wartsila) - first on a RCI ship and very complex and expensive to operate. The volume is huge, with the main cylinder being 3.5 meters in diameter and 12 meters high. The whole system weighs about 1000 tons. Scrubbers also consume a ton of energy and water as first you have to pump large amounts of water to a high level and secondly because fans are required to compensate for back pressure on the engines.

I am enjoying reading your information and learning alot of good information from this article, but I did just finish reading a thread about the Grandeur which noted that scrubbers have already been installed on that ship to meet 1/1/15 requirement for operating on the Chesapeake... post #42 So first on the Quantum???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2097013&page=3

Edited by JMG