Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi Question

KMagz

Before a recent cruise we spent a great day using the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi doing what I'll call the "Northern Loop." Basically going from Las Olas down to near Pier 66 and back. We'll be back again soon and would like to use the Water Taxi again for sightseeing. Is the Hollywood Water Taxi loop very similar? Lots of yachts, mansions, etc...?

Follow up question: We had a pleasant lunch at the "15th Street Fishery" while doing the Water Taxi tour last time out. Is there a comparable place to get off for lunch on the Hollywood loop?

Thanks in advance.

Before a recent cruise we spent a great day using the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi doing what I'll call the "Northern Loop." Basically going from Las Olas down to near Pier 66 and back. We'll be back again soon and would like to use the Water Taxi again for sightseeing. Is the Hollywood Water Taxi loop very similar? Lots of yachts, mansions, etc...?

Follow up question: We had a pleasant lunch at the "15th Street Fishery" while doing the Water Taxi tour last time out. Is there a comparable place to get off for lunch on the Hollywood loop?

Thanks in advance.

You didn't do much of the FLL water taxi if all you did was 17th Street and 17th Street turnaround. The water taxi goes much further up with some great restaurant stops (Flip Flops, Shooters, Bokampers, etc).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is as much to the Hollywood loop. I haven't been on the water taxi in Hollywood but we take the boat down to Le Tub for burgers or all the way down to South Beach and I just don't remember a whole lot.

The real estate is much better on the Fort Lauderdale route.

The northern loop is FAR superior to the Southern loop. Not a lot of stops, not many scenic areas compared to the northern loop. It does cross thru the main port area, so you can see the ships that are in from a different perspective. Otherwise hard to recommend the southern loop.

I agree with CruiserBruce - the southern route has little to offer other than seeing the cruiseships from a different perspective. Next time we ride the water taxi we won't bother with the south and only go the northern section.

You didn't do much of the FLL water taxi if all you did was 17th Street and 17th Street turnaround. The water taxi goes much further up with some great restaurant stops (Flip Flops, Shooters, Bokampers, etc).

Thanks. And yeah -- like Brian Williams, I think I mis-remembered where we actually went on the northern loop -- we covered a lot more than what I mentioned. :)

But thanks to all who also replied, I had a feeling the Hollywood loop may not be as interesting as the northern. Looks like we'll maybe do the northern loop again and look into BlueHeron's restaurant suggestions. Thanks!

Edited by KMagz

We would like to take the Water Taxi on the day we get back from our cruise as we don't fly home til the next day. It looks like it is pretty interesting and we could see alot more of Fort Lauderdale than if going by regular taxi. Can you suggest a good place to hop off for lunch or dinner that isn't too expensive?

We would like to take the Water Taxi on the day we get back from our cruise as we don't fly home til the next day. It looks like it is pretty interesting and we could see alot more of Fort Lauderdale than if going by regular taxi. Can you suggest a good place to hop off for lunch or dinner that isn't too expensive?
Unfortunately, waterfront restaurants aren't really reasonable.

The most inexpensive place I can think of that is even walkable from a water taxi stop is either Gran Forno or Cheesecake Factory on the Las Olas stop.

Both are very good but aren't exactly inexpensive.

You know you're jaded when you've begun to think $7 for a happy hour beer is reasonable.

Thanks in advance.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hollywood after our cruise last year. The hotel is one of the stops on the Hollywood water taxi line. We took the water taxi to 17th street, where you need to change to one of the other lines - we took the line to Las Olas and found a restaurant nearby. Then we reversed the trip.

The Hollywood line does not have the same "lifestyles of the rich and famous" draw that you find on the other lines, but you do get a good look at Port Everglades if that interests you. One word of warning about the Hollywood line, though: the schedule is limited. We had to make sure we were aboard a boat out of Las Olas in time to connect to the Hollywood line at 17th Street - otherwise we would have needed to get a cab back to the Crowne Plaza.

Looking for a hotel fairly close to the water taxi stops. We are coming in early on a Thursday, sailing out on Friday, would like to explore the area and have heard great reviews about the water taxi and the access it gives to views and a variety of restaurants and bars. Franco and Vinnies have come highly recommended.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Briny, Dockside at 15th St Fisheries, and Bahia Cabana are fun and not expensive waterfront options. Mangos and Noodles Panini are good street café options.

Edited by royalcruz

Which is the nearest water taxi stop from hyatt place convention center?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look on the watertaxi dot Com website, you will find it is Hilton Marina. Maybe 3 blocks away.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you want to go all the way up to Shooters/Flip Flops/Bokampers, you have to get off at Doubletree Gallery One and transfer to the north route boat.

We have not been on the Taxi in a couple years, but the last time, we were able to get on at the Hilton Marina stop and take it direct to Shooters where we had lunch. Sounds like it may have changed now.

Is that the only way to get to the far North stops.

Thanks Royal for letting me know. We are going to doing the water taxi for the day this coming Friday and had planned on Shooters for lunch.

Claudia

• 1 month later...

We are looking to do this after our cruise next week. Where would we go to get on for the northern route? Also I will have a carryon bag will that be a problem? It is a Vera Bradley traveler for those that know what that is :)

We are looking to do this after our cruise next week. Where would we go to get on for the northern route? Also I will have a carryon bag will that be a problem? It is a Vera Bradley traveler for those that know what that is :)

Check out their website for a map of the routes and stops: http://www.watertaxi.com. I don't know the answer for your luggage question, I would contact them directly:

Tel: (954) 467-6677

Email: info@watertaxi.com

We have taken the water taxi several times over the years and have brought back bags from shopping at the Galleria Mall and have never had a problem. Now I suppose that if you tried to bring on a five piece luggage set....

I certainly would not see a problem with a carry-on bag be it Vera Bradley or the tattered gym bag that I use for my stuff!

Thanks for the responses. I did go their website last night but there was no info there. This is a last minute change of plan for us as our flight doesn't leave until 9pm and we were going to spend the day with my brother but he can't come now so just making sure if we did this there would be no issues. It really sounds like a great way to spend the day.