St. Maarten - Orient Beach

beachbum53

St. Maarten is one of our ports on our next cruise. We've not been there before. Since we're basically beach people, I've been reading about the beaches there. As I understand it, Orient Beach, specifically the portion near Club O, is clothing optional. We've never been to a topless / nudist beach, but I would like to experience at least once in my life swimming nude in the ocean. Not too sure that my DW would go "au naturel". I know that the cruise ship provides beach towels, but I'm thinking it would be better, at least at Orient Beach, to bring our own towels, so as not to advertise that we are there from a cruise ship. Will there be a problem if I want to swim nude there but my DW opts to keep her bathing suit on? I know that going topless or nude is perfectly acceptable among Europeans. Americans tend to have hang-ups about it though. I just want to enjoy the day swimming and sunning in the buff, without being judged or harassed. Just have to make sure to be liberal with the sun block. ;)

Go and have a good time. Lots of cruise ship passengers go to Club O - with the ship's towels - do not worry about the towels. Also do not worry about what your wife is wearing - it is clothing optional - not no clothes required.

We were there in January and walked the Club O portion of the beach in honor of my uncle who use to go there for six weeks every summer. We walked with our suits on but there were folks there with suits, bottoms only, or nothing on. No one will judge you there so keep it on, take it off, whatever you're comfortable with!

Edited by Ski Mom 2

Nudists won't be judging you because you will have the same designer suit on as they do. It is the textile beach where people check each other out. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies. Now I have a couple more questions. Anyone know how much it is to rent a couple of beach chairs and an umbrella? Also, I'm guessing, based on other comments I've read, that if you kind of act like you belong there, rather than some goofy tourist gawking at everyone, people (for the most part) won't give you a second thought. Aside from the taxi ride to (and from) the beach, what other costs should we prepare for? Average costs for beverages and food? I've read something about getting a pass that includes restroom access. Is that a requirement, and where do you go for that? Also, I'm guessing we'll be okay using U.S. currency, but would we be better off exchanging Dollars for Euros before going? What would be a reasonable amount of money to take for a day at the beach?

At Club O: $20 for two chairs and an umbrella. Just use dollars - do not worry about having euros to use at Club O. Drinks and Food are about what you would expect for beach bar and restaurant. You can walk up to the store (Boutique) if you want to pay less for drinks and snacks. I think people generally are above-average sociable for a beach - up to you how much you want to socialize, of course.

I do not think Club O has any kind of day pass now - you can buy a book of tickets for multiple day chairs/umbrella - and parking during high season - but there is no day pass to my knowledge. Rest rooms are public.

Edited by SnorkelAway
Add something.

The front row of beach chairs at Club O are usually reserved for guests; they have little rings on the chairs. The second and third rows are usually available. I don't know of a public restroom. There is a restroom in the restaurant building, but I think it is for patrons. I buy a drink or lunch. The botique sells delicious crusty French bread. I took a room at the complex for the day because I needed wifi. For about $100 I got a one room studio with air conditioning, good tv, a small kitchen with refrigerator and 2 chairs and an umbrella. One great benefit of the beach is no vendors allowed.

Interesting information about getting a room for day for $100 - I had never heard about that. There are public restrooms at back of Perch (the Beach Bar in middle of Club O beach - at the Restaurant (Papagayo) - and at the entrance (where there also are public showers).

We were in St Martin for a week in Grand Case prior to our cruise on the Wind Surf in January 2016. We never exchanged our dollars for euro's and never had an issue on the entire island. And most places were 1:1 except for a few shops in Grand Case and it wasn't worth trying to exchange our money.

We paid 20 US dollars for two chairs and an umbrella, which an employee selected in the second row near the bar. There are restrooms right behind the bar. We also paid US dollars for drinks, which by the way they have two-fers starting around 2 pm, I think.

Other guests pointed out the employee to see about getting the chairs.

There are two taxi stops where vans from the pier will typically take you. The closest to Club Orient is by Pedros and the further one is by Bikini Beach (restaurant, not beach).

Give yourself no less than an hour from the time you board a taxi back to the all-onboard time in case of heavy traffic. We feel comfortable with 90 minutes but have never come close to missing the ship.

The front row of beach chairs at Club O are usually reserved for guests; they have little rings on the chairs. The second and third rows are usually available. I don't know of a public restroom. There is a restroom in the restaurant building, but I think it is for patrons. I buy a drink or lunch. The botique sells delicious crusty French bread. I took a room at the complex for the day because I needed wifi. For about $100 I got a one room studio with air conditioning, good tv, a small kitchen with refrigerator and 2 chairs and an umbrella. One great benefit of the beach is no vendors allowed.

Actually, I believe that all beaches are open to the public - so not allowing vendors is not an option. You encounter them on many beaches, but it is not that hard to say "no thank you" --- and I have never experienced the pushiness which makes places like Jamaica so much less pleasant.

Happy hour is my favorite social time at club O Friendly, nice people!!

We were there recently (land based trip) and it is a truly a "no judgement zone". Clothing optional is just that...many folks with suits on.even saw a one piece suit (rarely, but possible). I feel more comfortable in my suit, mainly to prevent sunburn of my fair skin...

Go and have fun!!!

Edited by Cruzin RN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is very helpful info. I will be in St. Marteen in December and interested in going to the club orient for a beach day. Never done nude bathing, but wanted to for a long time. Going solo, hopefully I will feel safe doing it on my own.

From the Club Orient FAQ:

We are interested in sunbathing completely nude, but were not sure if we’ll be comfortable being nude all of the time. Will we have to listen to comments from people if we choose when and where we are nude?

Club orient is a clothing optional resort which means you can dress as you please, from nude to completely clothed and anywhere in-between. Some guests become naturists gradually. Others recognize immediately how much more enjoyable being clothes free is almost immediately. There is no correct approach to becoming a naturist.

Complete nudity is appropriate anywhere on the resort, just be sure to follow naturist etiquette by always sitting on a towel! No one will be critical of your dressed or undressed state on the resort. What’s most important is that you are comfortable with yourself and your surroundings.

gary

Thanks for the replies. Now I have a couple more questions. Anyone know how much it is to rent a couple of beach chairs and an umbrella? Also, I'm guessing, based on other comments I've read, that if you kind of act like you belong there, rather than some goofy tourist gawking at everyone, people (for the most part) won't give you a second thought. Aside from the taxi ride to (and from) the beach, what other costs should we prepare for? Average costs for beverages and food? I've read something about getting a pass that includes restroom access. Is that a requirement, and where do you go for that? Also, I'm guessing we'll be okay using U.S. currency, but would we be better off exchanging Dollars for Euros before going? What would be a reasonable amount of money to take for a day at the beach?

Catch a cab and go early for best chair choices. Ask to be dropped off at ClubO or at Pedro's. Either one works fine. Look for the YELLOW umbrellas. Take lots of sunscreen and your ship's towels and don't worry about it. Just walk down the beach like you own the place. Chairs that have "wrist bands" attached are reserved by resort guests or are already claimed by day trippers. Although most of the front row chairs will probably be claimed by resort guests, those that are NOT tagged with the bands are fair game if you want the front row. When you find a couple of chairs and an umbrella without the bands, claim them BY SPREADING OUT YOUR TOWELS, sitting down and enjoy yourself. Before long, the Chair Guy will be around and will collect the fee -- you do NOT need to chase him down.

The further south (to the right when facing the ocean) you go, the fewer gawkers you will see. Cruisers on parade usually starts just after noon when the cruise tours drop off the hoards at Pedro's to gawk at the nekkid people. But, fortunately, many of those folks are too lazy to walk down the beach so if you are reasonably south of Pedro's and on ClubO property it is not much of a problem. South of the rocks at Pedro's most people around you will be totally nude but you may do as you chose without anyone caring as long as you are respectful of your neighbors. Note: North of Pedro's total nudity is no longer acceptable.

Approximate cash needs for OUR cruse day trips for two people:

* $40 Approx Round trip cab fare (max). Could be as low as $24 + any tip, if in a full van both ways.

* 20 for two chairs and one umbrella at ClubO.

* 50 for a really nice lunch at some of the better locations (could be less)

* 20 to ???? for drinks. Perch and Papagyao are on ClubO property and are probably the highest except during happy hour.

* 10 for pastries and so forth from the boutique in the morning. Most folks do NOT do this.

* 10 in ones for drink tips at the Perch (usual Bartender's name is Willi BTW)

About $150 maximum for us. We are very light drinkers so your mileage could really vary there. We usually take about $200 divided between us, mostly in 5's, and 10's, and one credit card each. Drinks are a bit high on the beach. About like the ship, so if you like a lot of drinks or beers, add accordingly. Everyplace will gladly accept dollars but you might want to pay the Perch (or any other location that prices in Euros only) with a credit card if you have one that does not have a 'foreign transaction fee'. That usually gets you a more favorable exchange rate.

In reality, we rarely eat a fancy lunch on a cruise day. Maybe split a Burger and fries, or something like that, from the Perch. Just hate to leave the ClubO beach and get dressed to go somewhere else. Note that the service at some of the nicer places can be quite leisurely. Check the menus posted in front of each of the beach shacks for prices and for dishes you find appealing. They also say if they accept dollars at one to one. Some of the fancier looking establishments near mid Orient Beach are VERY pricey although their food is (usually) very good. Our favorite, if we choose to 'dress' for dinner, is Orange Fever with Pedro's getting the nod if we want ribs. Decent prices, Nice menu, and close to ClubO.

with light traffic, Orient Beach is about a 25-minute drive from the port. WE allow at least an hour to return, more if there are a bunch of ships in port.

One last thing, if you eat at beach restaurants off ClubO property. Check your bill carefully to see if a service charge is included. Some places do this and if you are not careful you may tip twice. If you can't tell just ask. They will tell you if a tip or 'service' is already included.

Hope this helps.