Thinking of Seabourne

fudge

Tothesunset makes a good point in that the Seabourn coffee served in the dining venues is dreadful. It is, as suggested, American style brewed coffee. BUT there is a very important exception - that is the coffee served in Seabourn Square. There the cappuccinos, lattes, flat whites etc are made to order with freshly ground coffee. It's not enough to make us change, but I no longer order coffee with meals.

I am having coffee at breakfast in the restaurant on the Sojourn.

The trick is to have a cafetière or cafe presse then you get good coffee and can have it made to the strength that you like.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The trick is to have a cafetière or cafe presse then you get good coffee and can have it made to the strength that you like.

Our alternative at breakfast is to have a double espresso put in a normal sized cup, topped up with the 'regular' coffee, which to me is not so much awful as too weak. They do not always get the cafetiere (which on the ship is known as a French press) right IMO. Ship's 'regular' coffee on pretty well all lines is not much good.

I had a conversation with the Maitre D' about the coffee and came to the conclusion that the primary problem is the water they use for it. In any event, the regular coffee served at breakfast is not very good. For myself, I 'solved' the problem by ordering lattes.

I think the problem on all cruise ships is the salinated water, it has a taste. We are Tea drinkers and have never felt it tastes right no matter what we try. To us we find that all the Hot water based drinks were not right. I think it is easier to mask the strange taste with Coffee as it is generally a stronger taste which can mask the water taste. We just accept that for us the hot drinks are just not what we are used to.

The use the same water in Seabourn Square and yet the coffee is better there. I always stick to French Press, a double espresso with milk or a cappuccino with an extra shot of espresso.

Much as we will all miss Karl, I'm sure we wish him the best of luck at Viking.

Like most cruise lines there is an extra cost for sole occupancy, I have looked on the Seabourn web site but cannot see anything, is it a standard rate or does it vary cruise to cruise?

Thank you for any replies.

So true, as we discovered, but not necessarily that easy - on Spirit this year we found that they only had ONE cafetiere for the entire Veranda cafe at breakfast time! We therefore had to wait 'inline' while whoever had got there before us finished with it, or just give up and order a double espresso and add milk. Luckily there were not too many other passengers who had discovered this particular tip, so we were mostly successful!

So true, as we discovered, but not necessarily that easy - on Spirit this year we found that they only had ONE cafetiere for the entire Veranda cafe at breakfast time! We therefore had to wait 'inline' while whoever had got there before us finished with it, or just give up and order a double espresso and add milk. Luckily there were not too many other passengers who had discovered this particular tip, so we were mostly successful!

There is a new stock on the Sojourn.

They have the new plastic cage which is much better than the metal cage that used to fall apart because of the screw construction.

Many guests are opting for a cafetière in the dining room.

Edited by Mr Luxury

• 2 weeks later...

You mention the flowers in the cabin.

These were the flowers in my cabin on a recent Legend cruise. (Minus the rose initially, that was left on the bed one night)

They were very sad looking Mums.

I realize this is nit picking, but I don't want you to expect a gorgeous arrangement.

Don't let this put you off, just order some more flowers, you will love Seabourn.

DSCN0151.jpg.9342b2fd6237874c606fa982e7e356d2.jpg