The Good Old Days of Midnight Buffets

Ok so it wasn't just me. I knew they used to do the one off special night buffet by the pool (MN after Nassau) or in the promenade (FR's Freedomfest) but I haven't seen those in while (and to be honest I can't stay up for the one on the 3 night cruise anymore either)

Remember the elaborate ice carvings and beautiful displays for the midnight buffets when we first cruised in the 80s.

I still laugh about our 1988 "Big Red Boat" cruise. The youngest DS was probably about five and we were all asleep. Then I hear, "Dad you awake?" Me, "yes". Him, "can we go to the midnight buffet?" What am I gonna say? So him and I went to the Mexican theme midnight buffet. Boy, I didn't sleep well the rest of the night. But it is a fond memory.

Plus, we skirted a hurricane that trip, which hit Disney World pretty hard just before we disembarked and went over there.

Number of times I've attended a midnight buffet: Zero.

Number of times I've wanted to attend a midnight buffet: Zero.

Of course, I also don't understand people who say they're "hungry" in the wee hours of the night on a cruise. Cruise meals are bigger than I'm used to eating at home, and I'm never hungry.

Maybe others might be more active than you, have faster metabolisms, or simply have bigger appetites? I used to enjoy the midnight buffets as well, but would usually only have a light snack at that hour.

First two cruises on Carnival had them. I went to look but had late seating at the MDR so we got done with dinner literally two hours before. Very nice presentation. Didn't see too many people around to eat and we didn't eat because there just wasn't room after eating dinner. Oops. Actually, the second midnight buffet was literally hamburgers and hot dogs and nothing special. The first was very nice.

The last midnight buffet I have photos of was Voyager of the seas in 2006. I had a sleepy 8 year old who was so excited to go. And she wore her American Girl pjs and the wait staff kept commenting on her pjs. I never really ate anything at a midnight buffet but I loved taking photos of all that glorious looking food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last midnight buffet I have photos of was Voyager of the seas in 2006. I had a sleepy 8 year old who was so excited to go. And she wore her American Girl pjs and the wait staff kept commenting on her pjs. I never really ate anything at a midnight buffet but I loved taking photos of all that glorious looking food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We remember the events well,i feel hungry at the thought of all that fantastic buffet.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Its been a number of years since I cruised with RCCL. Does Royal Caribbean do at least one midnight buffet on a 7 day cruise? I know they did away with the nightly ones about 15 or more years ago.
The correct answer is NO they do not, have been gone for years now.

I figured they had totally done away with it with the addition of the specialty dining and other options on board. I bet allot of it did unfortunately get thrown away. I also miss the live bands every afternoon on the pool deck much more pleasant to listen to then trivia. It's ok I'll bring my headphones and playlist of Bob Marley. I am glad I got to see what it was like to cruise before corners got cut. Cruising is still the best vacation value IMO even with the corners cut and the new up-charges.
There are still the live reggae bands poolside in the afternoon...:D

They had one on Majesty of the Seas back in 2013 on my first cruise. It was on the pool deck and my husband absolutely loved it. But he's Mr. Metabolism and never gains weight eating 5 desserts at midnight. It was a lot of fun and there were tons of people eating and dancing. My husband keeps hoping they will have one on our next one coming up on Sunday. There wasn't one on the cruise we went on last year.

Oh I remember those buffets quite well- both Royal and X have done them. Spectacular buffets they were- always a highlight on the cruise- BUT they are the one thing I do not regret, that they lines got rid of. Such a waste of food. Wonderful to look at but not worth the bother! Standing outside the dinning room at 11 pm- to take pictures- back out - and in again to taste. What utterly nonsense when I look back- and I attended every single one on every cruise. :')