Purchasing a SLR Camera

We were toying with the idea of buying a SLR camera before our upcoming Allure (Eastern) cruise, but then I got to thinking...would we be better off buying it somewhere in the Caribbean? Maybe St. Thomas?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom...are cameras less expensive there vs. buying online here? What would be the better port (St. Thomas or SXM) to make the purchase?

Thanks!

We found that the prices are not any better and actually we were able to get better deals on the internet. IE: Amazon.com. The only thing we could save was sales tax. What we did last year was check the internet first and then we checked the prices when we got there. This worked with a camera and then another time with a watch that we wanted to buy that was actually on board. But as far as with something like a camera if you want to actually use it while on your vacation, you might want to try to get it ahead of time.

I would purchase it ahead of time so you have time to learn how to use it. Plus if something breaks I wouldn't want to have to deal with someone out of the country.

I purchased my camera through best buy. And normally I am the cheapo that will not buy the extended warranty. However because it was such a high investment I went ahead and paid the extra, I think it was $150. And I have been very happy that I did.

My first issue came from I think sand getting inside under the lens and a dot would appear in all my pictures. I took it to best buy, as they send it out to be cleaned at no charge. I guess they were backed up so instead they offered me a brand new replacement camera so I didn't have to wait. So of course I took the new one. Then I had an issue where the automatic shutter stopped working. I again take it to best buy, they again tell me that they are backed up in repairs and will just replace the camera with a new one. However they no longer carry my model so they give me the newest version of the camera as a replacement. So I ended up with the newer version of my camera at no cost.

My point being IMO it is better to purchase from a company you know and can go to if you should need to.

I have a friend that works in a camera shop and I asked him this same question. He told me that if you purchase a camera outside of the U.S., the warranty might not be honored in the U.S. I would recommend purchasing it ahead of time.

I bought a camera in St. Thomas once - and got a very good deal. But that was awhile ago, and these days you will do just as well at sams or costco in most cases. I buy all of my cameras from an internet site with a b and an h in it. No sales tax, for now, unless you live in New York.

I'd look at the previously mentioned internet superstore with the b and h in its name.

Few things are an actual bargain in the Caribbean for Americans. Watches are usually 15% off retail, which is pretty standard for most watches except Rolex and Panerai in the U.S., and you can frequently do better. Cameras at the major US internet retailers (B&H, Adarama) are typically fairly well discounted, and usually with free shipping. I'd go that way...

We are also going on the allure in December and do not intend on taking our big bulky camera this time. I found that I end up using my iphone as it is always with me. With that being said my wife still took over 700 pictures on our last cruise with our canon. Our next cruise we are taking our old point and shoot elph so we can get some adventure pictures and I don't have to worry about it getting wrecked. I definitely would not buy a really expensive camera away from home for the same reasons the previous posters have mentioned. We have had shutter issues with ours right out of the box. I still don't know all of the features on our camera and we have had it a couple of years.

But do you really want a SLR, I hope you meant DSLR, I know you did LOL. We have every type of digital camera and for travel we have always chose the lighter ones that will fit into a shirt pocket or are easily hung from a lanyard around your neck. We only took the DSLR camera once and that was a cruise around South America, yes it does take better pics, but only a pro could tell.

Nikon and Canon and many others are priced fixed so US prices will be the same every where, but some stores will offer some perks with purchase.

For sure read the reviews, from places like amazon but read between the lines, I have always done this, except once and yes it was a simi diasterous purchase.

Remember, IMHO a wide angle lens more important in most places, so buy a 18 to what ever lens if you go the DSLR route, or check the point an shoot cameras some now have a wider angle lens.

As far as prices go, I found best prices in St. John. Was looking at a higher-end DSLR and it was $300-$400 cheaper than BH. Was worried about the warranty thing so did not buy.

Tips:

1. Get one ahead of time, and practice so you know the settings.

2. Buy extra batteries regardless of which one you get.

As the owner of several DSLR's, my advice is as follows:

1. Buy it from a reputable camera shop on the mainland USA, and make sure it has a USA--not a "grey market"--warranty. I would not buy a camera from Amazon or wherever, buy from a reputable store where you can speak to a human if there is a problem. Cheapest is not always the best.

2. Buy it several month prior to your cruise so you can learn how to use it.

3. You do not need extra batteries for most DSLR's. I have two Nikon D-70's, a D-100, and a D-300, and they each take 1000 or more photos before running out of juice. (I use a grip on the 100 and 300 and can get 2000+ photos out of each dual battery charge. I use a separate speed light, not the camera's flash.) They also come with a tray that accepts four AA batteries "just in case." I've never used one, and forgot I even had them until the other day when I was digging through a basket of assorted accessories looking for a space lens cap.

4. I'd suggest taking a fresh memory card for each day of vacation. Number them. Keep them in your safe and only bring one and a spare. That way if the camera gets lost or stolen, you still have all the previously taken photos. I like the SanDisk brand, I've got about 20 and in 10 years have only had one fail.

5. Buy the best glass you can afford. If you buy a Nikon, the Nikor 18-200 f/3.5 VRII is a "one lens does it all" solution. It's fairly light and compact for a multi-purpose lens. I took one to Europe last year, and didn't wish for a different lens during the entire trip. I imagine Canon has a similar lens. Make sure to buy a UV filter to protect the lens. If the filter gets scratched, you toss it and spend the $40 on a new one. If the lens gets scratched, you just blew $300-3000.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ETA: I will buy components like speedlights, grips, and memory cards from Amazon or Adorama or wherever. But bodies and glass I stick to a reputable dealer I've been buying from for over a decade who has always been fair and honest.

1. Buy it from a reputable camera shop on the mainland USA, and make sure it has a USA--not a "grey market"--warranty. I would not buy a camera from Amazon or wherever, buy from a reputable store where you can speak to a human if there is a problem. Cheapest is not always the best.

2. Buy it several month prior to your cruise so you can learn how to use it.

3. You do not need extra batteries for most DSLR's. I have two Nikon D-70's, a D-100, and a D-300, and they each take 1000 or more photos before running out of juice. (I use a grip on the 100 and 300 and can get 2000+ photos out of each dual battery charge. I use a separate speed light, not the camera's flash.) They also come with a tray that accepts four AA batteries "just in case." I've never used one, and forgot I even had them until the other day when I was digging through a basket of assorted accessories looking for a space lens cap.

4. I'd suggest taking a fresh memory card for each day of vacation. Number them. Keep them in your safe and only bring one and a spare. That way if the camera gets lost or stolen, you still have all the previously taken photos. I like the SanDisk brand, I've got about 20 and in 10 years have only had one fail.

5. Buy the best glass you can afford. If you buy a Nikon, the Nikor 18-200 f/3.5 VRII is a "one lens does it all" solution. It's fairly light and compact for a multi-purpose lens. I took one to Europe last year, and didn't wish for a different lens during the entire trip. I imagine Canon has a similar lens. Make sure to buy a UV filter to protect the lens. If the filter gets scratched, you toss it and spend the $40 on a new one. If the lens gets scratched, you just blew $300-3000.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ETA: I will buy components like speedlights, grips, and memory cards from Amazon or Adorama or wherever. But bodies and glass I stick to a reputable dealer I've been buying from for over a decade who has always been fair and honest.

Since posting links gets me in trouble, Google Ken Rockwell and read his reviews. For first timers (and others as well) the Nikon 3100 or 3200 is an incredible value. I agree about the 18-200 lens, but it is heavier.

I'm a Canon guy, have worn out a 30d, 50d and now working on a 7d and my wife has a 60d. All the Canon Rebel series are excellent cameras, but some don't do well with the L series lenses, or "better glass."

If you just don't want a DSLR then get the best Panasonic camera you can afford. Look for ones with Zeiss optics. Good, good quality.

My Nikon F2 Photomic looks like the day I got it in 1976. Canon went to digital and didn't make you change lens mounts, so more migrated to Canon with the DSLR's, but the Nikon cameras today are really nice.

A camera is an investment, and Nikon and Canon have been in the DSLR game longer than about anyone. It's their primary consumer business, and they aren't going anywhere. I've seen others come and go.

For a point & shoot, buy whatever has the features you want. They are all about the same quality.

Ken Rockwell is the BOMB! Best place to get unbiased info. By the way, I think he was the one who called the lens I mentioned above "life-changing." That's a pretty big compliment, coming from a guy like him.

I guess I don't consider that lens heavy, as most of my lenses are F/2.8 which are double the weight.

B&H is another good place for accessories, but again, I wouldn't buy a lens or body there. One other thing, if you buy from a reputable local camera place, they will spend the time to actually teach you how to use the camera--well, at least the basics. Another tip is to buy used glass. I buy my lenses used from a reputable place with a money back guarantee. Saves me a nice chunk of change. I wouldn't buy a used body though--generally speaking. I bought my D100 used from a friend who I know takes good care of her gear, and it had very low accuations--5000 if I recall. I think I paid $100 for it, great deal, but not something a beginner should even consider due to the many potential pitfalls in used bodies. I also wouldn't buy used glass unless you have a really reputable shop to buy from.

A camera is an investment, and Nikon and Canon have been in the DSLR game longer than about anyone. It's their primary consumer business, and they aren't going anywhere. I've seen others come and go.

''B&H is another good place for accessories, but again, I wouldn't buy a lens or body there. ''

Why do you say that? I buy almost all of my equipment from them and every body and lens has been perfect. If you ever get a chance go to the store in NY, it is like being in photographers heaven.

I would recommend them 100 percent to anyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

''B&H is another good place for accessories, but again, I wouldn't buy a lens or body there. ''

Why do you say that? I buy almost all of my equipment from them and every body and lens has been perfect. If you ever get a chance go to the store in NY, it is like being in photographers heaven.

I would recommend them 100 percent to anyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I prefer to work with a smaller store where I know the owner and can call and chat with him or one of his long times sales people. They have talked me out of expensive mistakes--something that B&H wouldn't have done. I've been to their store, it was a bit too chaotic for my tastes.

I prefer to work with a smaller store where I know the owner and can call and chat with him or one of his long times sales people. They have talked me out of expensive mistakes--something that B&H wouldn't have done. I've been to their store, it was a bit too chaotic for my tastes.

And I've had B&H talk me out of mistakes.

Unfortunately, there are too few good camera shops left. Most are chains, and not necessarily very good. If you do due diligence, B&H is a great source for lenses and bodies. No, if you're convinced you need a 5D Mark III as your first DSLR with a 24-70 f/2.8 L, when you barely know how to use a point and shoot, they'll sell it to you. But, bad on you for not consulting their very informative information section, or joining the forum of your preferred brand of camera.

It sounds like you're blessed with one of those remaining non-chain local camera shops; I'm not.

And, as with cruise ships, different strokes. I've found the chaos to be part of the experience...

There is a Nikon dealer in Philipsburg and I did get a few accessories from him. Example is my battery. In Canada it costs 115.00 and I got it for 40. I agree I wouldn't buy the actual camera there but for some other pieces are a good deal.

I wanted a DSLR and did a lot of research and talking to those that own and camera shops and decided on the Nikon 5100. Finally mentioned it to a relative and they raved about their Sony a57. DH said "no Sony." We had one years ago and he wasn't happy with it. Went to a camera shop and called a couple of them and they had everything good to say about them even though we told them we were leaning toward the Nikon. They assured us that Sony had changed and come a long way since back in the day, and yes, Nikon and Canon were the more popular choices but the Sony a57 was a great camera, too.

I went to the Sony website and they were $499. By the time we decided to get it they were gone then we were told they were being discontinued:( Called the local camera shop and they were willing to match the price ($499 vs $799) if they had one. As it turned out they only had one in all their stores and it was spoken for the local PD. I went on the website with b and h in it and they had it for that price. I was thrilled, ordered it and rec'd it quickly. Bought an extra inexpensive battery (happy we did, btw) and we love our camera! The same relative that recommended it happened to have two, 18-200 lenses, and sold us one. We have not put the 18-55 on it since we got it! It is a great all around lens!

Took it on the cruise and got some wonderful pics! No, we didn't take it everywhere but we had the little point and shoot for that.

We are happy with the price and the camera! We've gone on many outings to shoot everything from our grandbabies, the arboretum, indoor activities, sports, sun, etc!

And I've had B&H talk me out of mistakes.

Unfortunately, there are too few good camera shops left. Most are chains, and not necessarily very good. If you do due diligence, B&H is a great source for lenses and bodies. No, if you're convinced you need a 5D Mark III as your first DSLR with a 24-70 f/2.8 L, when you barely know how to use a point and shoot, they'll sell it to you. But, bad on you for not consulting their very informative information section, or joining the forum of your preferred brand of camera.

It sounds like you're blessed with one of those remaining non-chain local camera shops; I'm not.

And, as with cruise ships, different strokes. I've found the chaos to be part of the experience...

I started doing business with a small shop in PA just over the border and about 40 minutes from my home when I lived in NJ. I still do business with them today. We also have two independent shops in Orlando, although I haven't really done anything with them as I have a great relationship with my guy in PA.

As the owner of several DSLR's, my advice is as follows:

I've bought cameras from B&H, Amazon, and a place called Buy Dig. In every case I got a full USA warranty, as advertised.

And I never needed to claim on them. Today's cameras have few moving parts and run off complex integrated circuits, which simplify the internal wiring.

There are small companies around NYC that offer incredibly low prices, and then "don't have it in stock," etc. Avoid them. But look at the prices at Amazon, B&H, and Adorama - the best price will be the same as or not much less than what they charge.

Right now if you wanted a Nikon 5100, for example, I'd Google "Nikon 5100 refurbished' and see what that brings up. Sony, Canon, and Nikon usually have a good selection of factory refurbs, and some retailers have them as well.

I have not found any great deals in the Caribbean. I did buy a grip once from Boolchand's in St. Maarten, but it was no cheaper than in the US. Boolchand's is all over the Caribbean.

This is the warranty card for the Nikon grip that I bought from Boolchand's. It had a US/Caribbean warranty:

warranty1b.jpg

So just make sure it has a US warranty when buying - if you are from the US.

On the other hand, I would probably want to buy a camera before leaving on the cruise. Otherwise, the cruise will be half-over before you get the camera.

I have also bought a few lenses refurbished. Mostly out of necessity as the first time I bought one, it was a rather new lens (less than a year on the market) and new ones were all out of stock, but I did find a refurbished lens.

So I bought it and have been very happy with it. Since then, 4 of the 12 lenses I have are refurbished, and I would not hesitate to buy a "factory" (not store) refurbished lens. They all looked new, I have never had one with even a scratch on it.

The 18-200mm f/3.5~5.6 is a good lens for vacation use, but it is not as sharp as other lenses. Still, I have found that with mine anyway, if I use the lens at f/8, it is pretty good. If used at it's maximum aperture opening, the lens is marginal. So at f/8, I consider it a daylight-only lens, and I am willing to take that limitation for the convenience of having to take fewer lenses on vacation.

I have owned two 18-200mm lenses. After I bought my D7100, it showed the limitation of this lens. But I had forgotten to keep the lens at f/8, so I sold it.

But then I missed the utility of a single lens, so I bought another one.

I do carry a few other lenses on vacation, but when I go on an excursion, I only take the 18-200 (and possibly a Tokina 11-16mm) as I don't want to take a bag full of lenses with me.

On board ship is a different story, as I can mount whatever lens I think I will need for the day. I typically take 3 to 5 lenses with me on vacation - including the 18-200.

I love a deal as much as the next person, but skimping on buying overseas in this internet age isn't worth it IMHO. Go with the big internet boys Adorama and BH. Saving a few dollars buying grey market or refurb posing as new isn't worth it.

We were toying with the idea of buying a SLR camera before our upcoming Allure (Eastern) cruise, but then I got to thinking...would we be better off buying it somewhere in the Caribbean? Maybe St. Thomas?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom...are cameras less expensive there vs. buying online here? What would be the better port (St. Thomas or SXM) to make the purchase?

Thanks!

Archived